The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sen. Dodd has prostate cancer, will have surgery

Default Sen. Dodd has prostate cancer, will have surgery

http://tinyurl.com/mh99cg

HARTFORD, Conn. – Connecticut Sen. Christopher Dodd said Friday that he has been diagnosed with an early stage of prostate cancer and will have surgery in early August, but the prognosis is good and the illness will not affect his plans to seek a sixth term next year.

Dodd said the cancer was detected in June during his annual physical and the results were confirmed by a biopsy. He said he plans to have surgery at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York shortly after Congress adjourns next week and is "very confident we're going to come out of this well."

-more-

My question is, isn't he a bit too old for surgery. Since prostate cancer is so slow progressing, shouldn't he be willing to forgo the surgery at his age? The rest of us will likely have to do so.

Eric

He's only 65. Not that old.

My disdain for Senator Dodd is as strong as anyones.

Being one who has lived thru the HORROR that is cancer (my wife, r.i.p.) I wish this for NO ONE!!

The Bullock family's prayers are with him.

stan b & Elvis

this thread should end here
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post
    http://tinyurl.com/mh99cg

HARTFORD, Conn. – Connecticut Sen. Christopher Dodd said Friday that he has been diagnosed with an early stage of prostate cancer and will have surgery in early August, but the prognosis is good and the illness will not affect his plans to seek a sixth term next year.

Dodd said the cancer was detected in June during his annual physical and the results were confirmed by a biopsy. He said he plans to have surgery at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York shortly after Congress adjourns next week and is "very confident we're going to come out of this well."

-more-

My question is, isn't he a bit too old for surgery. Since prostate cancer is so slow progressing, shouldn't he be willing to forgo the surgery at his age? The rest of us will likely have to do so.

Eric
    Depends on the stage and grade of the tumor. At 65, radical prostatectomy is reasonable and done quite often. (If that's even the procedure he's going to have.)
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

With prostate cancer, he could live another 10 years. Well...unless he opts for euthanasia. Now that he's 65, he'll have to be counseled in this.

I don't really wish him ill will. I merely point out that at 65 he's entered the marginal area where the current healthcare proposals may well refuse his surgery. However, as a member of Congress he'll probably be exempt from all 1018 pages of the bill. Heck, we (citizens) will probably pay for health care for members of Congress that we only dream of.

Eric
    Last edited by Eric Johnson; 07-31-2009 at 07:59 PM.

With prostate cancer, he could live another 10 years. Well...unless he opts for euthanasia. Now that he's 65, he'll have to be counseled in this.

I don't really wish him ill will. I merely point out that at 65 he's entered the marginal area where the current healthcare proposals may well refuse his surgery. However, as a member of Congress he'll probably be exempt from all 1018 pages of the bill. Heck, we (citizens) will probably pay for health care for members of Congress that we only dream of.

Eric
    Can you reference any part of the proposed bills that would do this? You are regurgitating claims that are simply lies. There are any number of legitimate questions that can be raised about the proposed health plans. However, the number of blatant, propagandistic lies being thrown around tells me that those opposing the bills hold the American voter in contempt and are using fear in an effort to overwhelm reason.

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    Can you reference any part of the proposed bills that would do this? You are regurgitating claims that are simply lies. There are any number of legitimate questions that can be raised about the proposed health plans. However, the number of blatant, propagandistic lies being thrown around tells me that those opposing the bills hold the American voter in contempt and are using fear in an effort to overwhelm reason.
    Let me help. Its right under the clause offering patients over 65 the choice of arsenic laced elderberry wine, or being set adrift on an ice flow at sea when they become ill.

You gotta give credit to the opposition to healthcare reform. They haven't missed a trick!

hemlock regards,
    dave
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Well... rather than direct you to a summary or position piece, here's the marked up version on H.R. 3200, "America’s Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009."

http://energycommerce.house.gov/Pres...0714/aahca.pdf

The single most outstanding feature of this bill is that it is unintelligble. There are times when reading it you feel like you are watching a woo-woo bird. The woo-woo bird flies in ever decreasing concentric circles, flies up his own !@@$%^& and cries "Woo! Woo!"

However, the section on life counseling begins on page 424.

I'm particularly sensitive to this whole issue of rationing care. I have bi-lateral benign essential blepharospasm. There is one treatment. I take from 6-8 shots in the vicinity of each of my eyes approximately 5 times a year. The injections are Botox. I started this almost 20 years ago. Botox then cost about $100 a vial. The cost is now about $600 a vial. I now am up to a complete vial. There is no other treatment. If I don't get the treatment, within 2 weeks I am functionally blind. Image driving down the road and suddenly your eyes close and there is no way to open them and there's no way to predict the onset. That's blepharospasm.

My neurologist and I fought a 6 month battle that this was not a cosmetic use of Botox. While that was years ago, I am expecting that we'll have to battle this again. At 65, it is not unreasonable to expect that this expensive treatment for this relatively rare disease will be scorned by a single payer system to save the money for others.

Eric

Well... rather than direct you to a summary or position piece, here's the marked up version on H.R. 3200, "America’s Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009."

http://energycommerce.house.gov/Pres...0714/aahca.pdf

The single most outstanding feature of this bill is that it is unintelligble. There are times when reading it you feel like you are watching a woo-woo bird. The woo-woo bird flies in ever decreasing concentric circles, flies up his own !@@$%^& and cries "Woo! Woo!"

However, the section on life counseling begins on page 424.

I'm particularly sensitive to this whole issue of rationing care. I have bi-lateral benign essential blepharospasm. There is one treatment. I take from 6-8 shots in the vicinity of each of my eyes approximately 5 times a year. The injections are Botox. I started this almost 20 years ago. Botox then cost about $100 a vial. The cost is now about $600 a vial. I now am up to a complete vial. There is no other treatment. If I don't get the treatment, within 2 weeks I am functionally blind. Image driving down the road and suddenly your eyes close and there is no way to open them and there's no way to predict the onset. That's blepharospasm.

My neurologist and I fought a 6 month battle that this was not a cosmetic use of Botox. While that was years ago, I am expecting that we'll have to battle this again. At 65, it is not unreasonable to expect that this expensive treatment for this relatively rare disease will be scorned by a single payer system to save the money for others.

Eric
    Eric,
    I can assure you that it is MUCH easier to get approval for off-label drug usage (and coverage) from medicare than from most private insurance or corporate coverage programs. Imagine the looks I got when I asked insurance to pay for BOTOX for anal sphincter spasm! Got a big fat, "NO".
    Fortunately, the patient was in the process of obtaining medicare, and after a dreaded gov't form, it was payed for within two weeks.

While I hear you, that's not the point. First of all, I don't think that the use of Botox for blepharospasm is an off-label use.

http://www.botoxmedical.com/images/p...nformation.pdf

The point is, the government can not run anything well. Much as a I trust the DoD, they're not terribly efficient. I trust doctors. I don't trust legislators or government workers (and I are one). In fact, I trust the paperboy with complex issues before I trust legislators. The paperboy when confronted with a problem he doesn't understand will probably admit as much. Legislators will simply ignore the fact that they don't know and press ahead with a "solution."

Medicare/Medicaid are two good examples. The two have a good bit of fraud and errors associated with them. Now we're expected to expand the government role in our healthcare? YGTBSM!

Eric
    Last edited by Eric Johnson; 08-01-2009 at 01:10 PM.