The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: TT 100 vs. 200/Flyway advice...please

Default TT 100 vs. 200/Flyway advice...please

I have a young female coming along very well in FF and am wanting to get started w/ CC. She hasn't seen a collar yet. I am very inexperienced using an e-collar and it's the biggest aspect in training that I have ZERO confidence in (in myself, that is). My confidence is just fair for everything else. I tried to CC my male using the Dobbs book a year ago and just don't like the theory of teaching to "turn off the collar" using a continuous burn. I was getting poor results with him (likely my fault) and put down the SD collar (it's gone, in fact). Recently, I have been trying to get as much training advice as I can and I have the Lardy Total E-collar conditioning coming in the next few days.

Anyway, I just bought a new Flyway G2 EXP at a discount. I have spent quite a bit of time researching threads on this subject, but haven't found any consensus (I know... I probably won't) on using the momentary button for "nicks" vs. continuous for "nicks". So, before I unwrap the Flyway, I'm wondering if I should send it back and go for the 100. The extra $ for the 500isn't worth it for me.

For those that use both momentary and continuous for "nicks" which do you prefer, and why? My thought process was "I'll use the momentary more, so I want more fine incremental adjustment". Might be flawed thinking? Thank you in advance. This forum is great.

I think the pre-timed momentary nicks tend to "freeze" a dog more than short nicks given on continuous. Accordingly, the only thing I use momentary for is line manners. I do know lots of people that use momentary for pretty much everything, though, and they have lots of success.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles C. View Post
    I think the pre-timed momentary nicks tend to "freeze" a dog more than short nicks given on continuous. Accordingly, the only thing I use momentary for is line manners. I do know lots of people that use momentary for pretty much everything, though, and they have lots of success.
    Charles, thanks for the comments. I'm still not sure which (momentary or cont.) I'll end up using more. I guess I'll figure that out once I get through Lardy's Total E-collar DVDs and manual. However, I read in a couple of posts where guys have used the tone feature for "here" when out hunting to keep the field a little more quite. I like the idea of teaching that. So, since the Pro 100 has the tone and I'm leaning towards wanting more finite levels of adjustment on continuous, I decided to send back the Flyway model and just get the Pro 100. Thanks.

I think the Flyway is probably one of the best models for beginers. I've had one for 9 years now and just recently sold it to upgrade to a 500 because I'm training more dogs and needed the added flexibility. Study the Lardy material you have first then make the call. I think you'd be happy with what you have.

I have the Flyway. I use the momentary most of the time. Having the ability to give the dog a low/med/high nick is ideal for me. I have it set so that a low nick is just a reminder while high really gets his attention. I think that if you want to use the continuous yourself, that works and I think that 6 levels is plenty.

There are probably lots of different opinions. I am a one dog guy, but I got the EXP in case I get another dog later. We train almost every day. I got rid of the Sport Dog in favor of a TT collar. I am very happy that I did, there is no comparison.
    Bad Motor Scooter SH

He that tooteth not his own horn...The same shall not be tooted.

There could be 5 or 6 ninjas in this room right now.

Thanks for all the feedback. The points about the Flyway being plenty for me are well taken and I'd say it would be just fine. However, I'm still kinda leaning towards the Pro 100 now (it's only $28 more). I spent some time this afternoon in my living room running through the dial on my arm (well, I went from 1 - 4). I hit the low, medium, high on momentary then I "nicked" with the continuous on each of those 4 levels...on myself. BTW, both #4 high moment. and #4 cont. nicks are not very pleasant

What I found was this: The low "nick" (moment.) on, say...a 3, is not very noticable. But, a nick w/ cont on a 3 is VERY noticable. Near as I can tell, a continuous button "nick" on a Flyway/200 on say, 2...is the same intensity as a high momentary nick on 2. If you take it a step further, a continuous button "nick" on level "X" seems a bit more intense than a high momentary nick on that same level "X".

So, what I'm thinking is that, in theory anyway, if I plan to use both momentary and continuous for "nicks" depending on the circumstances I might need a higher level momentary nick than what I might need using continuous. I would think I could accomplish this without having to mess with the number dial once I find what # my dog needs. That is, on a Pro 100 or a 500. That won't work on a Pro 200/Flyway if my perception of the intensity is accurate.

Ok, my brain hurts now. In fact, so does my arm...

Flyway and Pro 200 essentially the same - I have the 200. The only difference I noticed was when I was cc'ing my pup. the 100 had more "continuous" burn levels, but I was amply prepared with the Pro 200. I just noticed we had only 3 levels of useable increments (4-5-6 were too much). With the Pro 100 you'd have triple that. Once you adjust and get through CC, then for everyday use the pro 200 / Flyway is just fine - probably better IMO for the nicks. I hardly use the continuous button anymore. All three will suit you well.