The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog Parks

Default Dog Parks

Pabst is finished with her parvo shots and I am feeling more comforable taking her to places other dogs are and have been.

At the Retriever club people tend to have the dogs around each other but try not to let them interact and focus on the dog listening to the owner with distractions around.

Tonight I took her to a local dog park, most of the dogs were around her size with the exception of a larger lab that was a little rough but didn't seem to phase Pabst at all.

Are there any negatives to letting her interact in this manner?

Kristie Wilder

The bad thing about a dog park is that there's a chance the other dogs and/or their owners have issues... There's a huge local park in downtown Atlanta and my clients tell me there are constantly dog fights and problems there. I would just be aware of what's going on and do your best to make sure she doesn't get hurt. If I were you, I'd save socializing - ESPECIALLY at this age - for dogs with whom you are familiar. It's a shame that the folks at your retriever club don't let their dogs relax and play together a little bit. Maybe you can take a few folks aside who are willing to let their dogs play... I always think it's strange that people are so pent up about having their dog "behave" all the time -- why can't they just relax and play occasionally?

Anyway, I digress... LOL Good luck with your pup!!!

-K

IMHO you may be a responsible owner but many are not,so the dog parks are filled with aggressive dogs and dog owners that want to show they have the biggest and baddest dog in town, especially with a female dog that you have, there will always be males trying to mount her especially when she comes into season or just after...use caution, expect the unexpected and never take your eyes off her
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

One of the problems I have with dog parks is that my dog is so well socialized he runs up to any dog and/or person with out a care in the world....

I am not all that "keen" on dog parks for all the reasons mentioned. Can you find a puppy class that lets the dogs play and socialize supervised or get together with like-minded friends for puppy play time?
    Julie
    Watermark's Speed Trap AX
    ADCH PDCH Watermark's Skeeter AX, AXJ
    ADCH Casey's Dobber AX, AXJ (loved for nearly 16 years and missed terribly)
    Casey's Shasta (rest well, old friend)

This was actually an apartment complex park, there were about 6 dogs and they were all friendly, with the exception of the lab that was a little rough but nothing too bad. Provided there are no aggressive dogs and few enough that I can monitor her effectively do you think its ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Williams View Post
    Pabst is finished with her parvo shots and I am feeling more comforable taking her to places other dogs are and have been.

At the Retriever club people tend to have the dogs around each other but try not to let them interact and focus on the dog listening to the owner with distractions around.

Tonight I took her to a local dog park, most of the dogs were around her size with the exception of a larger lab that was a little rough but didn't seem to phase Pabst at all.

Are there any negatives to letting her interact in this manner?
    Where do I even start? My rescued Golden is as sweet as they come. Even when dogs would jump on him, he'd just give a quick "Grrr" then move away as if to say "Just go away and we'll be fine." He is a dog that made a point of meeting every person and every dog. I used to take him to the park just about every evening when it first opened but haven't taken him there once in the last two years because of the consistently bad experiences. The last time I was at our local dog park, two dogs tried to start fights with him in separate incidents but within seconds of arriving (one, literally as soon as we walked through the gate), I stepped in a large pile left by a dumb*** owner, and a black Lab urinated on my pants leg while I was watching my dog play with another dog. I swatted the pee (being nice) out of that Lab, much to the dismay of the owner who acted like I had done something wrong. I told her she was lucky I didn't body slam him. All of these events took place within a five minute span of time. I have not been back since that day. An active member of the local obedience club told me "I don't take my dogs to the park; too many idiots with untrained dogs go there." I've broken up numerous dog fights not even involving my dog and gotten into heated exchanges with morons who have no clue about dogs, dog interaction, and dog training. One guy, for example, tried to say the reason his dog was so aggressive with other dogs was it was her herding instinct. She was biting (hard, not just nipping) every dog that came in on his or her hindquarters and legs and starting fights. I finally got fed up, as did others, and told him the rules for the park required him to leave. He got really defensive and tried to say his dog wasn't hurting anyone or any other dog, etc. Others disagreed. I was at the park another time when a guy and his wife brought in their Akitas, on leashes, thank God. Those 100+ pound dogs just about dragged their owners all around that place trying to fight with other dogs. I told them that if they didn't leave, I was calling the police. That situation was one slip of the leash away from a smaller dog being killed. If you decide to go to a dog park, go either early in the morning or in the middle of the day (like during your lunch time) when very few people and dogs will be there so there's less chance of things getting really out of hand. Forget going after work as that's when every clueless dog owner comes out of the woodwork and sits there reading a book or listening to his iPod, completely oblivious, while his obnoxious dog is harassing every other dog and/or person there.

Trever,
    I think you've answered your own question. I have a puppy about Pabst's age and it would be a very cold day in hadies before I expose him in a dog park. The Petcos here in MPLS have a 45 minute puppy socialization class that is FREE every Sunday. Maybe they do the same thing in your area. There is a very intersting slice of americana that attends, but the truth is everybody is just trying to get some socialization for their new puppies and the people that supervise do a decent job.

As for some exersize I get up early go to the park an put a 30' check cord on my dog and let him smell the smells. I'll probably eventually get a ticket, but it will have been worth it.
    H2O Control Guy

Something I learned in the barn growing up. "Never walk behind a cow that is coughing."

Kristie Wilder

Trevor, unless you know these folks and their dogs very well and you KNOW they know and can control their own dogs and that they generally understand dog behavior... Then no, I wouldn't do it. It only takes a single bad experience to literally scar your pup for life. If you really trust these people and their dogs, then by all means... But if they are strangers to you, I wouldn't recommend it.

I can tell you heaps and heaps of stories of people who thought they had the nicest, most wonderful dog... so on and so forth...

-K

And then you have the folks that bring their toddlers, plus their unruly dog, to the dog park. Now you have small children in the mix. Find a good doggy day care that supervises the interactions. Or go to a puppy obedience class. Since puppies have such a short attention span, they usually include some play time as well.
    Shirley Christian
    Fort Collins, CO
    shirley.christian79@gmail.com