The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'War Dogs'

Default 'War Dogs'

Coming up on the Military channel this WEDNESDAY at 8 or 9 pm.

A VERY good documentary on some VERY special and heroic canines.
    Last edited by TXduckdog; 08-04-2009 at 04:18 PM.
    Train the dog, the ribbons will take care of themselves.

Will set DVR when I get home. Thanks.
    "When a man is proud of his dog and shows it, I like him. When a dog is proud of him and shows it, I deeply respect him." Gene Hill

Dan M
    HRCH Lady Roxanne "Roxy"

I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

The previous book, The History of Retriever Field Trials 1931-1941, by Fred Kampo and Carolyn McCreesh ended with 1941 with FC King Midas of Woodend being crowned the National Champion at the first National Retriever Championship, December 5-7, 1941. Few of the contestants were aware or the public in general foresaw the events on that Sunday morning when the winner was crowned.

Following the attack on Pearl Harbor, President Roosevelt officially asked for a declaration of war on Japan before a joint session of Congress on December 8, 1941. Then on December 11, 1941, Adolf Hitler and Nazi Germany declared war on the United States, the same day that Congress granted the United States declaration of war on Germany and Italy.

Mrs Milton S. Erlander proposed the dog game play it’s part in this war. Through a series of meetings and luncheons the name Dogs for Defense was suggested and the idea that the civilians provide dogs for the military was underway. As president for the organization Harry I. Caesar was asked to serve and encouraging words from the Quartermasters Corps that a good sentry dog could relieve a number of men for military duties. During March of 1942 the Army requested 200 trained dogs from the DFD for sentry duty against spies and saboteurs.

An Army inspection made in June of 1942 revealed the dogs in training had made little progress. A flaw of the program was the flaw of not teaching the men to handle the dogs. Plus the accepted dogs weren’t restricted the breeds more easily trained for the desired . The Army did not make enlisted personnel available at first for this purpose. This was due largely to the fact that most available instructors generally were inexperienced in teaching sentry dogs and unfamiliar with military conditions. Breeds accepted were

In “Charles Morgan on Retrievers the authors relate how Mr. Morgan talked about the retriever trainers at San Carlos, CA training dogs for the Quartermasters Corps. Mr. Morgan goes on to tell at San Carlos he was a civilian volunteer. Cotton Pershall, Billy Wunderlich, Dave Elliott, Roy Gonia, and a few other trainers were there. After the Army’s the other centers, except the one at Fort Robinson, NE, one in Montana were discontinued in 1944. Ft. Robinson’s facilities were improved to meet the needs of the Army.
    Last edited by Richard Halstead; 08-06-2009 at 12:43 PM.
    cave canem...beware of the dog
    Richard Halstead (halst001 at yahoo.com)

http://www.browndogmafia.com/finalists.html

In 1944 a friendship developed between members of the Army K9-Corps many of which went on to become retriever trainers. During this time Bill Rook purchased a black Labrador female, Tops of Bigstone (FC Banchory Night Light of Wingan x CH Scarborough Shenka). The friendships developed at Fort Robinson enabled Bill to breed Tops to some of the top sires at that time. Bill had made arrangements to breed Tops to Shed Of Arden. However, Shed had been left on the East coast while Cotton was in Minnesota, but Bill was able to breed Tops to another young dog of Bakewell’s, Little Pierre of Deer Creek. Bakewell wanted one puppy for the stud fee and he purchased another of the puppies from the breeding. Both puppies went on to title. The stud fee puppy and its littermate became Dual CH Matchmaker for Deer Creek and FC Ladies Day at deer Creek.

From this breeding Bigstone Kennels retained 3 females for breeding Little Tops Of Bigstone, Little Tar of Bigstone, and Ducklore Black Mallard. These were then bred to Shed of Arden, Marvadel Black Gum, The Spider of Kingswere, and Deer Creek’s Cforcatl.(pronounced C-For-Seattle)

Little Tops Of Bigstone x NFC Shed of Arden produced FC Bigstone Bang
    Little Tops Of Bigstone x FC The Spider of Kingswere produced FC Webway’s Crusader
    Little Tar Of Bigstone x NFC Shed of Arden produced FC-AFC Jibodad Gypsy
    Little Tar Of Bigstone x NFC Shed of Arden produced Shed’s Black Shadow, QAA
    Ducklore Black Mallard x NFC-AFC Marvadel Black Gum produced Jet Black Sin QAA

From these Bigstone breedings where Tops of Bigstone was found in 5 generations of pedigrees as follows: 1 NFC-NAFC, 7 NFC's, 5 NAFC's, 2 CNFC's, 5 Dual CH's, 72 FC's, 77 FC-AFC's, 45 AFC's, 26 CFC's or CFC-CAFC's, 90+ CH's (includes Canadian).
    cave canem...beware of the dog
    Richard Halstead (halst001 at yahoo.com)

http://www.browndogmafia.com/finalists.html

Some good websites about War Dogs out there with personal accounts by the handlers. Lots of Labs saw duty. The looked a little rough after being in the Vietnam jungle. It's a shame they put them to sleep and not let the handlers bring them home. Not like that today if they are capable of being socialized.
    Tom Dorroh

It's my understanding that the dogs used in the Vietnam conflict were not allowed to return due to fear of unknown contagions and parasites. Paranoia, basically, but not a chance that anyone wanted to take at the time.

But I could be wrong regards,

kg

http://books.google.com/books?id=V6U...20book&f=false

I've read this one....teared up more than once....very detailed and well written. You can read the first 21 pages at the above link. I have no financial interest in any of the books for sale.

kg

As I recall, you're right,Keith. It was a big unknown for the Army. They were just a piece of equipment to the Army, just like machinery they own. I even recall they left some dogs over there in the villiages.
    Tom Dorroh

Quote Originally Posted by K G View Post

KG.....you are correct....it is WEDNESDAY at 9pm Tejas time.
    Train the dog, the ribbons will take care of themselves.