The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Will you pay for news content on-line?

Default Will you pay for news content on-line?

It appears Fox will start charging for news soon. Will you pay for your on-line news from Fox? Does anyone here pay for the Wall Street Journal on-line?

http://www.businessspectator.com.au/...P?OpenDocument
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    It appears Fox will start charging for news soon. Will you pay for your on-line news from Fox? Does anyone here pay for the Wall Street Journal on-line?

I paid for the WSJ (on-line and print) but canceled when Rupert Murdoch bought the paper. Not about to pay for Fox.

Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post

I think its inevitable. TV used to be free. The first cable services boasted "commercial free", which helped to justify paying for it. No network or news service (or paper, however long they're around for) is in business to provide news. They provide a vessel for advertisers, to generate revenue. Once a clientele has been firmly established, it won't be free anymore, you can bet on it.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    I paid for the WSJ (on-line and print) but canceled when Rupert Murdoch bought the paper. Not about to pay for Fox.
    Imagine that!!!
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    I think its inevitable. TV used to be free. The first cable services boasted "commercial free", which helped to justify paying for it. No network or news service (or paper, however long they're around for) is in business to provide news. They provide a vessel for advertisers, to generate revenue. Once a clientele has been firmly established, it won't be free anymore, you can bet on it.
    News organizations should be in the business of news, not advertising. Sorry. I understand realities--but if the reality has changed the mission of the organization, then they're not an organization I want my news from.

So, no. I will not pay for news on-line. They can advertise to their hearts' content. I can usually find a closer-to-primary source for free.

What is being charged for, at least at first, seems to be opinions and spin--I guess I like my own opinions and spin well enough.

And I'm cheap. I still don't pay for television or radio, and don't foresee it happening any time soon.
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH