The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sam's Club <<GDG>>

Default Sam's Club <<GDG>>

Alright, I like going to Samís Club with my wife when she goes shopping. You know, I can wonder around and look at big screen tvís, get a few snacks, and just check stuff out. I am not saying I jump up and down to go, but it is one of the few places I enjoy shopping with the wife. That is until recently. We go there yesterday and as we walk in we are greeted by the greeter who is always pleasant. As we walk about 10 yards more we are accosted by a salesman for Direct TV who follows me down the isle trying to sell me DTV and when I tell him I already have Direct TV he proceeds to hard sell me about NFL Sunday ticket (which I also have). At this point I politely tell him to take a hike. We had gone no more than 15 feet when a cell phone salesman starts in on us. This one was not as persistent and easy to brush off. After we pass the phone guy we do our shopping without any other bothersÖ.until we make our way to the checkout. As we approach the checkout a group of young women attack us trying to sell vacation plans! At this point I was less that willing to listen to them just ignored them as they tried to sell me a trip to somewhere. Now all this was enough to get me a little ticked off because I REALLY hate people trying to sell me stuff. I am the kind of guy that if I want something I will buy it and you are not going to convince me that I need something that I did not set out to buy in the first place. Well to make matters worse as we are checking out the cashier stops in the middle of ringing up our order and starts in on a scripted sales pitch to sell us a membership upgrade. I am talking hard sell here, even actually ringing up the upgrade so we could Ďget started saving todayĒ. After about 2 full minutes of her sales presentation I had enough and told her so and how tired I was of feeling like I was shopping on a freaking used car lot whit a bunch of vulture like salesmen hiding around every corner to attack and try and sell me something.
    Now I have nothing against Samís selling vacations, Direct Tv, cell phones, vacations, or membership upgrades, but I resent paying for a membership and then being subjected to sales pitches at every turn when shopping. At our Costcoís they sell all this stuff and there are no salesmen on the floor. There are big signs as you exit the store with all the various services they offer.
    Anyway, enough rant. Is this happening in other Samís Clubs or is it just this one?
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Sounds tough. I use Costco, which is not like that at all. If the checkout person had done the hard sell with me, I would have politely said that it the sales pitch didn't start and the checking out resume in a matter of seconds, I would walk away and they could restock everything.

My local hardware store has a gauntlet of someone selling replacement windows and a different non-profit pitching something every weekend. I cringe when I have to shoot in for something.

I joined the McKinney SAM's in March. The very day I joined, while checking out the gal asked me if I wanted to upgrade my membership. Annoying.

But I haven't been attacked by salesmen yet. Probably just out-of-work mortgage brokers trying to make a buck!

I do love the little food sample booths they set up! Gotta buy some of those Hebrew National hot dogs. They're pretty good.

I haven't seen that here.

That is not right....hey I've got a started dog that I can sell you because he is awesome and you need him...you would be a great fit for him because you are special....Visa, MC accepted.
    GRHRCH Huntington's Aged T Perfection MH...Colby (FC AFC Roux MH x GMPR Tyra MH)
    HRCH Huntington's All That Melody...Jazz (GRHRCH Boomer x Callie) Momma's Girl
    Huntington's Cool Customer... Chilly (Lefty QAA x Black SH)

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    Is this happening in other Samís Clubs or is it just this one?
    Not happening here.

They do have 3rd party kiosks here, but they never seem to hound me.

Perhaps a polite bit of constructive criticism to the store manager would help.
    Stray labs make great pets.
    Proud member of the FF society.

I try to avoid the big-box stores alltogether. They offer good prices, but I know most of the small business owners personally (small town) and want to give them my business. Often pay a little more, but get personal service, no question returns when needed, a cup of coffee, and a good BS session most of the time. And none of the used-car-salesman treatment.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Could be a sign of the times. Companies feel like they have to go out and get the sale rather than waiting for it to happen. Lots of competition out there and people just aren't spending extra money these days.

I hate it as well its happens at ours over here, very uncomfortable.
    Scott Cormier
    HRCH Southern Breezes Black Cloud MH "Thunder"
    HRCH War Eagles Midnight Storm MH "Boomer"
    HRCH Southern Breezes Southern Bell MH "Bella"
    HR Southern Points Cut To The Chase SH "Chase" RIP

I like Costco much better I dropped my Sam's membership a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_LAB View Post
    Not happening here.

They do have 3rd party kiosks here, but they never seem to hound me.

Perhaps a polite bit of constructive criticism to the store manager would help.

Did that. They were sorry it bothered me

I also email Sam's from their website.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke