The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much does it cost to raise ducks or pigeons

Default How much does it cost to raise ducks or pigeons

How much does it cost to raise ducks,pigeons or pheasant to use for flyers?
    How long does it take to raise them into flyers?
    Any suggestions on doing this or not or is it worth it?
    Is it that big of a hassel or time consuming?
    Thought I would check into and raise some for me and training partners and sale to them if they wanted flyers and maybe sale to club for trials and hunt test.
    Thanks, Brad

I have raised pheasant you start looking at brooder eletricity feed pen to keep them if your going to raise a few your better off buying them' pigieons on the other hand can be alot easyer you can trap them on old farms if law allows they are alot cheaper to buy when avaiable ducks are dirty birds and are are more readily avaiable so to end i think the quaunity is the issues----more can be cheaper less is not cost effctive IMO

Too much !!! They croak,poop,eat like crazy,draw flies from 20 miles......Muuuuuuuuch cheaper to buy em.

Hey Jay, those $3.00 ducklings turned into $40.00 flyers.

Ducks are easy to raise because all they like to do is eat, and reproduce. in fact the male duck will chase off ducklings to induce breeding the susie duck repeatedly...thats the good news

the bad news is they need water and are targets of predators including neighborhood cats,raccoons,and stray dogs,weasels etc. and it only takes one to wipeout your entire brood.

dont even think about raising pheasants, even the professional game bird experts can barely make it happen
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Do they just need water to drink or more ? Can you just raise them in a coup with wire and dirt or concrete floor to keep out predators?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Do they just need water to drink or more ? Can you just raise them in a coup with wire and dirt or concrete floor to keep out predators?
    I raised mine in a coop with a concrete floor with sand over the top, but ducks prefer to eat their food from the water, its their natural way to feed, only problem is that the hens would lay their eggs in the yard and they are hard to find when they are nesting, had many a neighbor cat come into the yard (some didnt leave) and had a relatives german shepard get loose and kill six ducklings within minutes, closest I have ever come to killing a dog..

you can put a kiddies wading pool inside a coop but you have to clean it daily.Be sure and check your local regulations before you resale ducks since technically they are federally protected wildlife

A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

how big was your coop? Did you let them out to nest or did they do it in the coop? They probably cant nest in the coop?
    Its sounding like a big project if I want to do it on a big scale.
    I have 8 acres so I could build a coop by my barn for personal use to try it out?
    What about buying those little ducklings you see out the feed store every so often to replinish stock?
    Sorry fat cats?

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Ducks are easy to raise because all they like to do is eat, and reproduce. in fact the male duck will chase off ducklings to induce breeding the susie duck repeatedly...thats the good news

the bad news is they need water and are targets of predators including neighborhood cats,raccoons,and stray dogs,weasels etc. and it only takes one to wipeout your entire brood.

dont even think about raising pheasants, even the professional game bird experts can barely make it happen
    Yeah! We had a fox take out all but three of our meat chickens...then a few days later the fox showed up dead by our fence. We immediately suspected "fowl" play, but the chickens aren't talking.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

My coop was an oversized pigeon coop and the drakes would submerge the hens in the wading pool to reproduce just like they do at the park. you have more than enough room , you could even use your barn side as the back wall. I started with two drakes and two hens that I borrowed from a local park thanks to Wonder bread, I returned almost two dozen ducks to the park after two years, they are prolific breeders....went back to raising pigeons, much easier, low maintenance and didnt feel so bad shooting flyers