The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Property

Senior Member Vicki Worthington's Avatar

Default Hunting Property

What could I expect hunters to be willing to pay to use my Michigan property for hunting. It is 45 acres of rolling pasture, a 2.5 acre pond, and 9 acres of an approximate 40 acre marsh. It has deer, turkey, ducks, geese, and pheasants.

I've never entertained this, so I have no clue about value, if any for a piece of property this size.
    Do Something! Lead, Follow, or Get Out of The Way

If you have any of those large Michigan whitetail deer on the property its worth a lot to hunters, the ducks and pheasant are a throw in...the downside is letting hunters on your property with guns,bows or rifles, it brings a safety factor in to play. dont know what the going rate per acre of leased land is up north but if you have the BUCKS (deer) it would be worth the Bucks $$$
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

There are huge whitetails on the property, especially going to/from the marsh. Turkey are plentiful in the area & we are constantly finding turkey feathers on the place when we train there--just stray feathers, not carcasses.

Having leased similar property down here, I would say $100. per acre is fair. Best to use a package price over a lease per acre or $4,500 per year. Heck, we pay that for one pit blind for duck/goose season.
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge

Why not let some of your RTF buddies hunt it for research purposes this year? Then we can give you an honest, educated opinion about what would be a fair price...
    ________
    Big Dick Hairy
    Last edited by ducknwork; 04-21-2011 at 06:09 PM.

I have a lot more work to do on the property to make it a better place for dog training. The money received for the lease would help defray the cost of some clearing to make the marsh more accessible and put in another pond or two....

Sounds like there are no woods to speak of which makes bowhunting difficult. Not sure I know anyone that would pay 4500 for a field. you could get maybe 2 people in there with guns safely but 2 days after gun season opens you will not see a deer in the open during daylight.

I would tread lightly making access to the marsh. The DEQ is tough on that. better to ask forgiveness than permission.

The property is all wooded near the marsh, hence the work to be done is clearing hardwoods and non-wetlands vegetation.

Looks like the deer season for bowhunting is October 1 thru November 14; then a later season from December 1 thru January 1. Non-resident bow license is $138.

Firearms season is from November 15 thru November 30. Non-resident bow license is $138.

A combo (firearms and bow) license is $276.

I think turkey licenses in Michigan are pretty regulated, even for private land, so the deer aspect might be the best. The deer season is also at a time when I don't use the property very much, so that is what I'd be most interested in leasing.

There are lots of deer traversing the property based upon the deer tracks we see every time we go up to train. Deer in this area are quite sizeable.

I think $4500 may be too high and would entertain a lesser amount...

Vicki you might save yourself a lot of headache if you lease the hunting rights to a licensed guide in the state, even though they will TRY and lowball you a property like yours that hasnt been hunted (for deer ) will still fetch top dollar, IMHO I wouldnt accept a dime under 3K
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Having leased some of the best whitetail land in the country (Buffalo County, WI) We have never paid over 50$/acre. It might be different in Michigan, but i doubt it.