The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: Q1 - Is health care reform needed?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 45.16%
  • No

17 54.84%

Thread: Health Care Reform Needed - Yes or No

Default Health Care Reform Needed - Yes or No

Just taking one step backward from Bruce's poll.

What we need is not Health Care reform but, Health Insurance and Tort reform.

Last thing we need is government run Health Care!
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post

I agree--but I think there is significant work that could be done on insurance reform; I could be convinced there are tort reform issues that could be worked on, but I am very leery of simple/blanket solutions I've heard proposed that may take away patients' rights to sue.

I'll interpret the question not as "health care reform" but as "health insurance" reform and vote "yes."

For the record, if the vast majority of the country is ever on board for single-payer national health insurance, I'm in! I consider that a very different animal than "government-run health care." But obviously now is not the time, and I'm not sure the time will ever come.

I think there are some very limited changes, that could be made while keeping the current system very much in tact, which could make big differences in peoples' lives--and that's where the efforts should be.
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post

Should we pay for illegals - NO
    Should there be catastrophic insurance available - YES
    Am I happy with the insurance I have - MOST of the time
    Should anyone have insurance that covers all the costs - NO
    Where I worked we had a 500K limit per family member - with a deductible - also had catastophic insurance which I carried. It worked fine, not a cadillac policy - but I'm not a cadillac

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Should we pay for illegals - NO
    Should there be catastrophic insurance available - YES
    Am I happy with the insurance I have - MOST of the time
    Should anyone have insurance that covers all the costs - NO
    Where I worked we had a 500K limit per family member - with a deductible - also had catastophic insurance which I carried. It worked fine, not a cadillac policy - but I'm not a cadillac
    Marvin, I generally agree with you. However, the question is what is included in catastropic coverage. Obviously, the plan you had was not catastrophic coverage. A 500 K lifetime limit would have run out on my father and did run out on my mother. It's interesting that the "Obamacare" approach, using HR 3200 as an example, started out as an effort to define catastrophic care. It set a relatively high out of pocket cost limitation: $5000/person and $10000/family. It did not limit deductibles and coinsurance as long as coverage was provided for basic preventive care without such limits. The rationale for that was that these services reduce the cost of future care. However, most of the attacks on the plan have focused on the fact that it provides limited coverage, not on the fact that it covers too much. By definition, a catastrophic plan will not cover a lot of things and most people who have the means will opt to buy additional coverage. By the way, that was the approach used for Medicare. While coverage has expanded over time, it still does not cover many things for which recipients usually opt to buy additional coverage.

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

If any reform is needed, it aint the package in the congress now, nor anything like it.
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!

If any of this is actually serious that the start would be tort reform.
    "Communism only works in Heaven, where they don't need it, and in Hell, where they already have it" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    Marvin, I generally agree with you. However, the question is what is included in catastropic coverage. Obviously, the plan you had was not catastrophic coverage. A 500 K lifetime limit would have run out on my father and did run out on my mother. It's interesting that the "Obamacare" approach, using HR 3200 as an example, started out as an effort to define catastrophic care. It set a relatively high out of pocket cost limitation: $5000/person and $10000/family. It did not limit deductibles and coinsurance as long as coverage was provided for basic preventive care without such limits. The rationale for that was that these services reduce the cost of future care. However, most of the attacks on the plan have focused on the fact that it provides limited coverage, not on the fact that it covers too much. By definition, a catastrophic plan will not cover a lot of things and most people who have the means will opt to buy additional coverage. By the way, that was the approach used for Medicare. While coverage has expanded over time, it still does not cover many things for which recipients usually opt to buy additional coverage.
    The 500K was on the general policy - the Cat policy was unlimited & covered the 7 most common events - cancer, etc. The Cat policy was only available while you worked, apparently they hoped you didn't draw too much retirement. BTW, I have the means & choose to self insure beyond Medicare.

I just don't believe that the taxpayer should be on the hook for those procedures not necessary to life. & do agree somewhat with idea of not paying for procedures that will not add value, whoever had that idea.

I reached the point that I realized AARP was not representing our interests - have'nt belonged in years. If they support something, it's generally suspect.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Start with tort reform and work from there.
    Some people dream of success, while others wake up and work hard for it.

"Five in the hole is better then 250 circling overhead." - Jase Robertson