The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: An interesting factor...

Default An interesting factor...

Had a retrieve this morning that put me in mind of the current "cheating water" thread and the trial-oriented contention that factors should be challenged both going to and returning from marks.

The coyote and I had been running marks in newly flooded rice stubble and then taken a walk along a large flood canal to see if some adjoining acreage was also being reflooded, when Peake fiddled around and got into a fire ant hill. I'd been keeping him out of the normally gator-safe canal until we'd gotten close enough to a suspicious flotant clump to see that it wasn't a big gator, but had made that determination by the time the ants got him and pitched a bumper into the canal to help him give them the shake. And when he returned with it, I decided to make the most of the situation and try for a photo of him leaping off the far bank returning with another.

So I tossed a bumper across the far levee, got the camera out and turned on, and sent the coyote - who no sooner splashed down in mid canal than my peripheral vision caught sight of something large coming down the canal fast. Was a big-enough gator locked on the dog and just slipping under the surface when I reacted by hollering and trying to throw the camera at him. Which, fortunately it turned out, was tethered by its strap to my hand. I did, however, create enough distraction to bend the gator's course - as well as stop the dog, that I immediately sent on. And when the gator came back into view, my coyote was just making the far bank:

Potential tragedy averted, we still had a return factor to deal with:

Reminded me of an old Far Side cartoon of two retrievers facing the challenge of a dead duck in the middle of a alligator-infested pond, and one graciously telling his friend, "You go ahead and take the first one, Fred."

Naturally, I chose to handle the coyote well down the far levee before having him cross, but even that didn't discourage our new friend who came on the double to see if he might still be in time for dinner:

So much for that training local until after next month's alligator season. While certainly no dinosaur, that tataille is big enough to make a friend with tags for the spot happy, and I've already dropped a dime on him.
    Last edited by Rick Hall; 08-18-2009 at 10:41 AM.
    If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2012-2013 season log)

I HATE those damn lizards. Glad your puppy is ok!
    Wm. Mark Edwards
    Pascagoula, MS

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH
    SHR Tipsy

Glad it turned out alright, still get a sick feeling everytime I think about mine being grabbed 2 or 3 summers ago.

Here is the one that grabbed mine....only 6 ft but still enough to bring a 65 lb dog down a few times.
    Last edited by Ricky Elston; 08-18-2009 at 08:35 PM.

Rick,

Glad to hear the your Coyote dog is Ok. Send Jerry after that lizard. He can wrestle it into his truck and bring it home for dinner. How's his dad doing by the way?
    "Blastem Daddy!" My Son's advice to me as a big ole Tom turkey came strutting within range. My son was 6 at the time.

Weller's Tell It To The Judge MH (Justice)
    Weller's Running With The Wind MH (Chase)
    JD's In It Again MH (Trouble) 5/1/2009 - 1/3/2012

criminy, I am glad we don't have those to deal with!

sure am glad the Coyote is OK!

Juli
    God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

"There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    The other is as though everything is a miracle."

- Albert Einstein

jimboburnsy

I just got goosebumps.

Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    Rick,

Send Jerry after that lizard. He can wrestle it into his truck and bring it home for dinner. How's his dad doing by the way?
    The word on Jerry's dad always seems to be, "Better, but not real good."

And while Big Jerry's wrestling one gator into the truck, my little coonass grandson will load one with 'em:

If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2012-2013 season log)

I love Wisconsin

There is a few pairs of fancy cowboy boots in this thread! Glad your dog is ok!
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    Embers Aint Misbehavin - Flirt (Corona's mini me)

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!

I keep a rifle in the truck for just such occasions. Our lizards here have the common decency to stay in the river. I almost never see one anywhere else.
    Terry Moseley
    Bad Motor Scooter SH

He that tooteth not his own horn...The same shall not be tooted.

There could be 5 or 6 ninjas in this room right now.