RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Barrel length on your SBE or SBEII

Benelli sight and barrel length

3K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Fowlfeller1100 
#1 ·
Still pondering which SBE2 to get 26" or 28" in barrel. I have shoulderd both and the sight plane on the 28" seems to have the front site higher than the back bead. The 26" seems to be in line. I have heard that a benelli shoot higher than American shotguns and you should let the target rest on the top of the bead. Is this something that can be adjusted with the shims on the 28 to line the beads up or is it that the 26 is the right site plane for me? I'll post a pole on barrel length feel free to post any comments about which one you shoot and why. Please post color black,max 4, other.

G
#2 · (Edited)
My grandfather taught me to "check the point" on a shotgun a long time ago. As many times as I have disregarded his advice, its always been right.

Basically, he told me to shoulder the weapon with my eyes closed and try to "feel" the barrell and sight picture lined up with your eye position. Open your shooting eye. Is the gun pointed where you thought it would be? If so, that's a great natural shooting gun for you (and why the old Spartan, matte finish 870 he gave me when I was in 6th grade is still my primary shooter).

In other words, I think you're a lot better off with a gun that feels right than trying to overcome a left-brain/right-brain fight everytime you pull the trigger.

Just my opinion, but I've bought shotguns that felt like writing with my left hand. I don't have 'em anymore.

#3 ·
One SBE in black and one in Max 4; one SBE II in black. For most of my hunting shotguns, I prefer 28" bbls, but in SBEs, I prefer 26" bbls. Due to the length of the receiver in a SBE, the shorter barrelled gun ends up being the same length as my other shotguns with 28" bbls, so the fit and swinging characteristics are the same. In sporting clays guns, however, I prefer 30" bbls, including for my .410 Browning XS Ultra.

#4 ·
fit and point of impact can be adjusted to a point with the shims but it may or may nor meet your needs at the end of the day

have a qualified person tell you if it fits or not

fit is more important than action, barrel length or anything else

barrel length is more an issue of balance and swing. both of those are a matter of preference

personally I shoot a max 4 28" in the SBE2, always wanted an original SBE but it never fit right so I never had one until the new gun game out.

the 26" swings too quickly for me and is uncomfortable

#6 · (Edited)
I have the SBE2 with the 26" in max 4 I put a TRU Glow sight on it because in low light conditions and dark tree lines it's hard to see the end of the barrel with the camo. I like the 26" because I shoot a lot of teal down here and they fly fast and close most of the time.

#7 ·
I voted other. I would get the longest barrel offered. By the end of the season you are prolly going to be using the thing as a club anyway- might as well improve your reach.

Buy a Beretta regards

Bubba

#9 ·
I have been looking to buy my first semi-auto. Held the Benelli and the Beretta and really liked the feel of the Benelli better.

A good friend of mine that hunts a lot recommended the SBE 2, but I was leaning more towards the Legacy due to the adjustable chokes and looks.

I primarily hunt Dove, Quail and Ducks along with shooting skeet 5-10 times a year.

Thoughts? How do I know what model to buy?

#10 ·
It has been my experience that if you ever want to resell a gun the 28" is easier to sell. I realize you may never have those plans but just a thought. Also, I have seen more posts from people looking to buy a 28" barrel for a gun they already own then trying to find a 26" barrell for a gun they already own.

#11 ·
I've got a Benelli SBE 1st generation after the factory modification not to "float" the 4th shell. It has a low/flat vent rib with the triangular safety button and has a 24" barrel and is a lefty model. Yes, I said 24" barrel/lefty. I usually have; 98%, of the time a "Briley" extended choke tube in her......so the effective barrel length is about 25". Barrel length IMHO is overrated.......at least for the average skybuster. That said, I don't miss a lot with mine.....but I know my range and my limits!!!

#13 ·
Just go with whatever feels best, I imagine that this is largely a placebo effect (no pun intended) if you are hunting with it. I shoot four rounds of skeet a week and still rarely do a pretty swing thing on ducks, If you are target shooting get the longer for a smoother swing, It makes a difference but not that much...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.