The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: knee surgery

Default knee surgery

my 4 yr old yellow male just messed up his knee. torn meniscus and damaged acl pretty bad. anybody had the same unfortunate experience. I'm wondering about a good rehab program and the chances of getting him out hunting this season.

Quote Originally Posted by takemts View Post
    my 4 yr old yellow male just messed up his knee. torn meniscus and damaged acl pretty bad. anybody had the same unfortunate experience. I'm wondering about a good rehab program and the chances of getting him out hunting this season.
    Call Dr Randy Akers in Sun Valley. He's one of the most experienced in the Western region.
    That surgery is getting to be pretty common in labs.

jimboburnsy

I have not had much experience with that TPLO procedure, but make sure you find a vet who knows what he/she is doing. Lots of jacklegged vets about who look at you as more of a cash register than anything else and will be more than happy to relieve you of a couple grand and then bollucks up your dog's knee. Like any other profession there are goods and bads and the bads seem to be the easiest to find.

My trainer had a dog tear up a knee jumping a fence and landing in a hole. No surgery, just rest (I think she was out for about 6 months, but I'm not sure). Eventually the knee scarred up and stabilized and the dog resumed her career. Not quite as speedy as she once was and will favor the good leg after a tough outing but is otherwise totally serviceable.

I have had the same unfortunate experience but it was me, not my dog. Either way it is no fun. Talk to a vet experienced in this area. I bet swimming will be part of the rehab.
    Carrie Carlson

Carlsons Harley Davidson CGC "Harley"
    and the corginess...
    Ebonwald's Blazing A Trail "Scout" RIP good buddy...
    UKC CH Ebonwald’s Debts Of The Heart "Daphne” (AKC major pointed)

Quote Originally Posted by takemts View Post
    hunting him this year would be foolish, even if you had the surgery today, rushing a dog back after TPLO surgery isnt fair to the dog.Opening day of Idaho waterfowl season is just over 60 days away, I have the date circled on the calendar...
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

My pups TPLO rehab is 16 weeks and then normal work can resume....slowly. Don't think I would hunt him this year. Then you have the other knee to worry about.
    Tom Dorroh

My golden had this surgery years ago. I dont recall the rehab taking a long time. I wouldnt be surprised if the vet told you he can hunt by late December or January. Good Luck.

I have had two TPLO's done on my chessie in the last 16 months and 12 weeks was the rehab time both times.

My 4 yr BLM partially tore his ACL last year about this time with a trauma. While we were debating what to do and hoping it was not that, the damage worsened and it turns out he tore both the caudal and cranial cruciate ligament. He ended up being too injured for TPLO (Dr Sherman, Raleigh, NC) and had to have a modified extracapsular and 4 months of rehab there. The rehab time is much shorter for TPLO.

Now, back home, he has daily swimming and has begun to resume light training...about a year later. Still sore at times