The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Labs with white spots? Full blooded or not?

Default Labs with white spots? Full blooded or not?

I have always heard that a lab with white spots isnt a full blooded dog. I have seen some registered dogs with the white on the chest and paws but that dosnt mean they are purebred. What do yall think? If i go to see a dog and i see white on them it turns me off. Also what causes these marks if the dog is purebred?

I've got a litter on the ground right now and about half of them have "Bolo spots" on their feet. I'm pretty sure they are pure bred. On the other hand, I wouldn't breed to a dog with white on its chest, head or the tops of its feet.
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford

The early Labradors-St Johns dogs had white (see pic)
    http://www.lorkenfarms.com/labrador%...%20history.htm

Some white on the chest is acceptable
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

A little white spot doesn't mean anything. There are lots of purebred labs with white spots on their chest and/or toes. It's no big deal, unless you intend to show your dog in conformation.

I actually have a yellow girl with a black splash mark on her right shoulder and chest that is about as big as two to three man-sized handprints. She is a show bred dog, and her pedigree is impeccable. I own and bred her mother, so I'm absolutely sure of her lineage. It's just a "birthmark". She's unusual, for sure, but she is absolutely purebred.

Sometimes a spot is just a spot.

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    I have always heard that a lab with white spots isnt a full blooded dog. I have seen some registered dogs with the white on the chest and paws but that dosnt mean they are purebred. What do yall think? If i go to see a dog and i see white on them it turns me off. Also what causes these marks if the dog is purebred?
    The black lab female i got has a spot of white on her tail. I found out that this goes back three generations and i know for a fact mine is pure bred lab. I also had a female a few years back that was black with yellow streaks on her front legs and chest. It would be interesting to find out what causes this.
    Tim Jones

Some of the best field trial Labs, including Lean Mac, are known for throwing pups with white. Bolo spots (white marks in the undersides of hocks/paws) are very common. White spots on the chest, while not desirable under the standard are still permitted. White chins -- some claimed as prematurely gray even if there when the dog is a pup -- are not at all uncommon and may be found on some national champions. I have a Patton pup with a sprinkling of white hairs on her right front leg. When you see dogs with names like blaze, salty, powder, etc., you may find a few white spots to go with the name. There is a difference between having markings inconsistent with the standard, and not being purebred.

My Flat Coated pup has a white spot on her chest. She is a big time pure breed. Very good pedigree. She was the only one in her litter that way. I picked her because she is very birdie and don't want to breed her, the breeder marked her limited, no big deal. The breeder said it happens, some times it goes away and others not.

Quote Originally Posted by croppiemstr View Post
    The black lab female i got has a spot of white on her tail. I found out that this goes back three generations and i know for a fact mine is pure bred lab. I also had a female a few years back that was black with yellow streaks on her front legs and chest. It would be interesting to find out what causes this.
    Our late and lamented girl Georga had yellow tipping on her face and legs, everyone called it gold frosting...her dad was chocolate and her mum was yellow....funnily enough she held her own in the show ring despite the tipping. Java has Bolo spots and her pups have too...she also has a gold band around her tail, which cant be seen unless you rub the hair back the wrong way..her pups have that too and I would really like to know about that.
    beauty fades, but dumb is forever. (Judge Judy)