The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Labs with white spots? Full blooded or not?

My Little Man male has white spot about the size of a dime on his neck along with a few random white hairs sprinkled around.
    Rick Curtis ~ Currently in Ontario, CA by way of Spokane, WA and Northern CA.

Little Man Caught It On The River SH ~ "Ace"

Handlers Handle, Dogs Dog, Judges Judge

"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart."
    ~Rex Carr

My Lean Mac grandson has a little white behind his paws. It's barely noticeable. I'm hoping that's not all he got from Grandpa...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Farrar View Post
    My Lean Mac grandson has a little white behind his paws. It's barely noticeable. I'm hoping that's not all he got from Grandpa...
    I've owned several dogs either directly sired by Maxx or sired by FC-AFC Lean Mac sons that had the bolo marks...
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

You probably know this already but here's the color standard from the AKC. Of course this is primailry an issue if you're showing the dog.

Color
    The Labrador Retriever coat colors are black, yellow and chocolate. Any other color or a combination of colors is a disqualification. A small white spot on the chest is permissible, but not desirable. White hairs from aging or scarring are not to be misinterpreted as brindling. Black--Blacks are all black. A black with brindle markings or a black with tan markings is a disqualification. Yellow--Yellows may range in color from fox-red to light cream, with variations in shading on the ears, back, and underparts of the dog. Chocolate--Chocolates can vary in shade from light to dark chocolate. Chocolate with brindle or tan markings is a disqualification.
    The nose should be black on black or yellow dogs, and brown on chocolates. Nose color fading to a lighter shade is not a fault. A thoroughly pink nose or one lacking in any pigment is a disqualification.

seeing how this topic is up, I have a 6 mo old female that has a very noticeable 2 inch section in the middle of her tale that is white. Very, very strange and semi alarming to me. She has an impecable pedigree with Ten Bears road trip "Tic" as her sire and the mama is a full sibling to high waters tina turner and FC all that Jazz. I would like to hear from anyone else that has this line and might be in the same situation. I am concerned as I got this dog for breeding potential. Im not sure if this defect would turn anyone off or not....?

Feel free to PM me if you would like...
    Tim Fitzgerald
    Anacoco, La

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Fitzgerald View Post
    seeing how this topic is up, I have a 6 mo old female that has a very noticeable 2 inch section in the middle of her tale that is white. Very, very strange and semi alarming to me. She has an impecable pedigree with Ten Bears road trip "Tic" as her sire and the mama is a full sibling to high waters tina turner and FC all that Jazz. I would like to hear from anyone else that has this line and might be in the same situation. I am concerned as I got this dog for breeding potential. Im not sure if this defect would turn anyone off or not....?

Feel free to PM me if you would like...
    See post #15 regarding the gland in the tail... ...OMG it's not a defect....
    Your dog's sire is chocolate.. this is very common in chocolate factored blacks and chocolates...
    Also, sometimes if the dog has been injured even a minor cut, sometimes the hair around the site will grow back white.
    Last edited by frontier; 10-08-2012 at 09:29 PM.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

My dog bullet is defective, he is chocolate factored!
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

I cannot believe the number of people who supposedly know the labrador breed (biting tongue) enough to buy a labrador for breeding purposes, who don't even know the basic principles of the labrador breed standard. Not to mention the ones that have owned and trained/hunted a dog for a year or more that are suddenly concerned that their dog is purebred or not. Do they not do ANY research on the breed that they are buying? Are people really that lazy that they cannot do a simple google search on the breed? Or is the educational system in the US that defunct that they cannot read? Oh, wait. They can use a computer, enter a forum, and post a ridiculous post/thread, so they should be able to read.
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!