The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Cash for clunkers benefits foreign automakers

Banned

Bailing out the auto industry:

McConnell said he realized the Bush auto bailout was coming, and is insisting more strings be attached.

And Obama gets criticized for bailing out GM when a republican (Bush) saw the bailout coming but ran out of time before he could bail out the auto industry?

Rep. Tom Price (R-Ga.) went one step further with bailout regret: “It is now clear that the creation of TARP was a rueful mistake which has failed to provide urgent market stability, yet has put our country perilously in debt for the foreseeable future.”

Really? Put us in debt for the foreseeable future?

“Taxpayers can rest assured that as a condition for receiving these loans, auto companies must fundamentally restructure their operations to become competitive and profitable again,”

Ford showing a profit and GM rehiring workers?
    http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1208/16753.html
    Last edited by Roger Perry; 08-24-2009 at 04:29 PM.

Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    FYI--I did read every one of your links. Some of those I agree with-- others not. I am not exactly a a rube when it comes to the auto world. I grew up in Michigan. I have family and friends that are involved in all of the Big Three car makers from management to manufacturing to sales. You can also throw in the UAW if you think that matters. I read Detroit newspapers more or less daily. My perspective may differ somewhat from yours down in the southeast.
    I get the impression you think your perspective may be more...how shall I say it...enlightened...than mine. Am I misreading your intent?

But as an American, I sometimes do what Adam Smith proposed in his Wealth of the Nations. I act in what is my enlightened self interest. If a dude wants to give you $4500 for a $1500 clunker I'm sure that you'd take the cash and run, too. After all, its perfectly American.
    Glad I could help you out with some of that $$, Sarge. As for "perfectly American," you might want to consider "perfectly ridiculous"....

But, KG, your web visage pretty well matches your avatar's--wild and edgy and thoroughly Republican. You make it fun to go toe to toe with you. Don't think you are going to make me a GOPer though. I'd sooner change my religion.

Regards.
    I'm not sure I'd describe "Bill the Cat" as thoroughly Republican...not sure how "wild" I am, but I'll take "edgy" as a compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    With Cash For Clunkers now over, how will new vehicle dealers sell cars and trucks now?

New vehicle dealers are now getting ready for a big slow down as consumers have been trained to only buy when there are huge factory rebates. Now, those same huge factory rebates aren't enough to stimulate sales.

CFC may have stimualted business for one month but now the manufactorers and retailers are going to have to pay the devil.
    Here's how, Franco...you may have seen it after your post: http://www.rbr.com/media-news/16555.html

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    If as you say, Clinton's deregulation of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were so bad, Why did Bush with his Republican Congress not change it. After all they did have 6 years to do it.
    You tell me, Roger....you're the expert on every mistake Bush 43 ever made....

That story is more than two years old, Sarge. Think anything's changed since then???

kg
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

Quote Originally Posted by K G View Post

Here's how, Franco...you may have seen it after your post: http://www.rbr.com/media-news/16555.html

I hadn't seen that. I'll have to check if nada.org has more on this.

IT IS CRAZY...just as in the clunker program, the incentatives are only asking for a minimum 2 mpg more!!!

All this boils down to is the gooberment subsidizing car purchases in an industry our gooberment has major ownership in. Talk about government gone wild.

What are we going to do when the dollar becomes worthless?

Just when I thought our government couldn't get any worse, they found a new low in Cash For Clunkers.
    Last edited by Franco; 08-24-2009 at 08:50 PM.
    It's time we abandon our party affiliations and rather than being good Dems or good Repubs we all become good Americans. MJH345

I get the impression you think your perspective may be more...how shall I say it...enlightened...than mine. Am I misreading your intent?
    Yep, I said "differ". "Enlightened" was not used or implied.

Glad I could help you out with some of that $$, Sarge.
    Thanks, KG, but, as I said before I have been taxed a plenty over the past 50 years. Glad to get a bit back.

That story is more than two years old, Sarge. .Think anything's changed since then???
    Not much. There is a declining difference between what is domestic and what is foreign.
    Zeus

Not much. There is a declining difference between what is domestic and what is foreign.
    You think Obama would have bailed out Nissan?

Don't think that we don't run up billions in trade deficits with the Asian car mfgs. annually.
    It's time we abandon our party affiliations and rather than being good Dems or good Repubs we all become good Americans. MJH345

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    You think Obama would have bailed out Nissan?

Don't think that we don't run up billions in trade deficits with the Asian car mfgs. annually.
    We run up huge trade deficits as we import more from than we export to those countries in all goods, cars are just part of the picture. It seems no one wants to address the disparity.
    Zeus

It seems no one wants to address the disparity.

Yes they have. The American new vehicle buyer has been addressing it for many years. Our government didn't like the answer so they decide bailing out the UAW was more to thier liking.

Foreign mfgs have been building vehicles with better quality and design for decades now. Detroit decided to ignore it and now they are being rewarded with money that is being borrowed at the tax payers' expense.

Not only is this bad business, the new Gooberment Motors will not survive and along with it goes HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS of our dollars needlessly.
    Last edited by Franco; 08-24-2009 at 09:54 PM.

Yep, I said "differ". "Enlightened" was not used or implied.
    Just asking. Thanks for the clarification.

Thanks, KG, but, as I said before I have been taxed a plenty over the past 50 years. Glad to get a bit back.
    Regardless of whether or not it comes off the backs of working stiffs who won't get to drive it and don't own it?

I don't make cars and neither do you. American car makers have known since the early 80's that they needed to make a better product...GM and Chrysler suffered through managed bankruptcies because they WOULDN'T force concessions on the unions, unions wouldn't accept concessions, and they paid -ZERO- attention to what their foreign competitors were selling. Now Toyota outsells GM and VW is not far behind. The open market determines what will sell...manufacturers ignore the markets at their own peril.

kg
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

Under the heading of There ain't no free lunch: according to a news blurb the other nite, those who got cash for their clunkers will have to reprot it as income on their 09 tax retrun. The govt giveth and the govt taketh away.
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!