The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Open Senate seat

"personal sacrifice"??? Ted Kennedy???? WHAT??!!

In my opinion, the only "personal sacrifice" around TK was that of MJK and possibly the victims of any number of late term abortions which he supported. I wonder, as a good Catholic, did he have to go to confession every week in order to clear up the misunderstanding with God about his hypocritical stance on murdering the unborn.

What personal sacrifice?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Beck View Post

What personal sacrifice?
    The loss of three brothers comes to mind. He was wealthy and really didn't need to work a day in his life, but instead he was instrumental in:

Head Start
    -- Provided meals and early education to pre-school children through the Employee Opportunity Act.

Hart-Cellar Act:
    -- Changed immigration policy to abolish quotas and lift a 1924 ban on immigration from Asia.

Bilingual Education Act
    -- Mandated for schools to provide bilingual education programs.

Voting Age
    -- Lowered the age to vote to 18.

Federal Cancer Research Program
    -- Quadrupled the amount of money spent by the federal government to fight cancer.

Meals on Wheels
    -- Strengthened the federal program offering nutritional meals to homebound seniors.

WIC
    -- Offered food, nutrition counseling and health services to low-income women, infants, and children.

Title IX
    -- Demanded equal funding for men's and women's athletics on college campuses.

Campaign Finance
    -- Imposed limits on contributions to political candidates and set up a public financing option, post-Watergate.

Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA)
    -- Guaranteed free and appropriate public education to children with disabilities.

Civil Rights Commission Act Amendments
    -- Expanded the jurisdiction of the Civil Rights Commission to protect people from discrimination on the basis of disability.

Airline Deregulation
    -- Allowed airlines to choose their own fares, reducing costs for consumers.

Refugee Act
    -- Established a U.S. policy for providing humanitarian assistance, admission and resettlement to refugees around the world.

Fuel Assistance
    -- Provided home heating fuel for low-income and working poor families.

Martin Luther King Day
    -- Established a national holiday to celebrate Martin Luther King's birthday.

Improved Access to Polling Stations
    -- Required polling stations to provide physical accessibility for physically disabled and elderly people on federal election days.

Employment Opportunities for Disabled Americans Act
    -- Allowed disabled workers to receive SSI benefits and Medicaid coverage.

Anti-Apartheid Sanctions
    -- Banned the purchase of gold, coal, iron, and other goods from South Africa to protest apartheid.

Even Start
    -- Offered early education, family literacy and related services to disadvantaged parents and their children.

Fair Housing Act Amendments
    -- Prohibited discrimination towards people with disabilities in the sale or rental of housing.

National Military Child Care Act
    -- Established the Department of Defense child care system.

Americans with Disabilities Act
    -- Prohibited discrimination against any qualified individual with a disability in job application procedures, hiring or discharge, compensation, advancement and training.

Ryan White CARE Act
    -- Provided assistance to states to develop effective and cost-efficient AIDS care programs, aimed particularly at early diagnosis and home care.

Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty
    -- Halved the world's nuclear arsenal through cooperation with the U.S.S.R.

Women in Combat
    -- Lifted the ban on women serving as combat aviators.

Summer Jobs for Youth Program
    -- Appropriated $500 million to give 300,000 youth with summer employment.

Mammography Quality Standards Act
    -- Ensured the safety and accuracy of mammograms and promoted the use of the procedure

National and Community Service Trust Act
    -- Created AmeriCorps and the Corporation for National and Community Service to help expand volunteerism and education grants for students who choose to volunteer for service after college.

Student Loans
    -- Allowed students to borrow money for college directly from the federal government.

Family and Medical Leave Act
    -- Provided up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave for family emergencies or after the birth of infants.

Crime Act
    -- Secured funding for 100,000 new police officers, imposed new penalties for crimes involving gangs and firearms and authorized the Police Corps, a program to award college scholarships to students in return for a commitment to serve as police officers.

Kennedy-Kassebaum Act
    -- Enabled employees to keep health insurance after leaving their job and prohibited insurance companies from refusing to renew coverage on the basis of preexisting medical conditions.

Mental Health Parity Bill
    -- Eliminated limits on mental health coverage that differ from other covered illnesses.

Temporary Assistance to Needy Families Act
    -- Established Welfare-to-Work Initiatives to reduce the number of families dependent on government assistance.

1996/2007: Minimum Wage

-- Increased the minimum wage from $4.25 to $5.15 in 1996, and then again from $5.15 in 2007 to $7.25 by 2009.

State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP)
    -- Supported state efforts to provide health insurance to uninsured children in low-income families.

Minority Health and Health Disparities Research and Education Act
    -- Improved data systems and research on the extent and severity of minority health problems, and authorized significant resources to help enhance the delivery of health care to minorities.

2000 Public Health Threats and Emergencies Act

-- Introduced initiatives to control the spread of germs resistant to antibiotics, and to protect the country against bioterrorism.

No Child Left Behind Act
    -- Required more rigorous testing of public school students and permitted parents to transfer their children from low-performing to higher-performing schools.

Bioterrorism Preparedness Act
    -- Established plan to help the country prevent, prepare for and respond to bioterrorism and other public health emergencies.

Enhanced Border Security and Visa Entry Reform Act
    -- Expanded the country's intelligence and law enforcement capabilities to help identify individuals who have violated visas or have links to terrorist organizations.

Up-Armored Humvees
    -- Provided funding for additional armor for military vehicles to meet the safety needs of American troops.

PROTECT Act
    -- Provided funding for AMBER Alert notification systems along U.S. highways and awarded grants to states for the implementation of improved communication technologies.

Gulf Coast Recovery and Preparedness Act
    -- Provided emergency funding to assist in the recovery efforts after Hurricane Katrina.

Family Opportunity Act
    -- Provided states the opportunity to expand Medicaid coverage to children with special needs and allowed low- and middle-income families with disabled children the ability to purchase coverage under the Medicaid program.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Sorry, I haven't been able to complete the Great American novel you sent but maybe you can just point me to the "personal sacrifice" part. We've all lost family members; but I don't think that constitutes my focus/point: personal sacrifice.

In my opinion, the only "personal sacrifice" around TK was that of MJK and possibly the victims of any number of late term abortions which he supported. I wonder, as a good Catholic, did he have to go to confession every week in order to clear up the misunderstanding with God about his hypocritical stance on murdering the unborn.

What personal sacrifice?
    He did not commit or encourage any abortions. He worked within the confines of our laws to enable women to make their OWN CHOICE. Blaming him for abortions is like blaming Glock for drive-by shootings! It's absurd not to place responsibility where it belongs. (not surprising though)
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    The diver who ultimately pulled MJ's body from the wreck said that, from the position of the body, he believed there might have been an air pocket. Had he been able to reach her within 25 minutes of the accident, he testified that it was possible she could have been rescued. Given the time and location of the accident, it is doubtful that a fully equipped diver could have gotten to her within 25 minutes. I also suspect that both Kennedy and MJ had been drinking given the nature of the party.
    Actually, the diver found Mary Jo's body 20 minutes after the car was discovered. He also said that he believed Mary Jo may have been able to survive for up to two hours.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...pg=4079,182936

Umm, I think I said he supported (programs that provided for) late term abortions; not that he actually "committed" them. The AMA frowns on medical procedures being performed by intoxicated persons.

To lend the powerful support of his office to the premise that it's acceptable to murder a viable, unborn human being is what gives people like Peter Singer his credibility among academics and certain government officials. I think that does place responsibility where it belongs. Am I going too fast?

I continue to seek to learn about the "personal sacrifices", however.
    Last edited by Ron Beck; 08-27-2009 at 10:53 AM.

Umm, I think I said he supported (programs that provided for) late term abortions; not that he actually "committed" them. The AMA frowns on medical procedures being performed by intoxicated persons.

To lend the powerful support of his office to the premise that it's acceptable to murder a viable, unborn human being is what gives people like Peter Singer his credibility among academics and certain government officials. I think that does place responsibility where it belongs. Am I going too fast?

I continue to seek to learn about the "personal sacrifices", however.
    Me, personally, I'm against abortion. So I'm not gonna have one.
    Can we agree on that?

Im not going into a debate on abortion. Finding out most people think the world is 6000 years old convinced me that there's no sense in arguing some topics, and abortion tops the list. Like I said, I'm personally against it, so I'm not getting one. The fact I'm a male makes it easy to stick to my virtues on this one.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by TCFarmer View Post
    Actually, the diver found Mary Jo's body 20 minutes after the car was discovered. He also said that he believed Mary Jo may have been able to survive for up to two hours.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...pg=4079,182936
    His actual comment was that had a call been made within 5-10 minutes of the accident and had he been able to reach the victim within 25 minutes, she might still have been alive. As it was, the testimony was that Kennedy spent a fair amount of time diving to try to get into the car to pull her out before leaving the scene. While the house light may have been on at the nearest house, there is no reason to believe that Kennedy knew that the house was there.

Personally I was once in accident where my then fiance and I ended up in a swamp in the middle of nowhere (Rt 52W a few miles outside of Walden NY). As it happens, there was a house a couple of hundred yards away with its lights on. We found it about 30-40 minutes after the accident and only because it was mid winter and the trees had no leaves. Five to ten of those minutes were spent trying to figure out how to lock up the car before we finally figured out that we couldn't roll up the windows because there weren't any. No alcohol was involved. A lot of shock and confusion were. Once we got to the house, it was good that the residents took over. We were apparently not the first people to walk out of that swamp. I doubt that we could even have told the police where we were even though we were only a few miles from my fiance's apartment and were actually thinking about walking back to her apartment instead of going to the nearby house. We probably would have had my fiance not been bleeding. By the time the police arrived on scene, it was already 1 1/2 hours after the accident. I would never try to excuse what Kennedy did following that accident. However, from my own experiences I am also not willing to be too judgmental. The incident was what it was. It was part of his life, but it was not his whole life.

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

I would love to know how much hush money was paid out to the next of kin to Ms Kopechne.
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    The loss of three brothers comes to mind. He was wealthy and really didn't need to work a day in his life, but instead he was instrumental in:
    Not one of these items would have occurred had he been properly disciplined for his behavior involving the young girls death. Anyone else in this country who made a decision to let a young girl die when there was any chance of saving her would be on trial for murder. At minimum he would have been convicted of manslaughter which would have ruined his political career if not outright disqualified him for serving in th Senate. Course had he just driven a Volkswagen he could have avoided the whole thing....

Last edited by Gun_Dog2002; 08-27-2009 at 01:20 PM.
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"