The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Senate seat

The only thing I know about Ted Kennedy's death today is.....

......Mary Jo Kopechne could not be reached for comment.
    Kevin Walker

Drive is the manifestation of Desire, and measured in Style.
    Thank you judges who score Style, you are preserving Desire!

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    Chappaquiddick will forever be part of Edward Kennedy's legacy. However, to judge him solely on that would be equivalent to judging GWB solely based on his history of cocaine use.

Obviously, a central part of Kennedy's legacy has been his deep commitment to speaking on behalf of those with the least power and wealth. A more important part of his legacy may be his gracious statesmanship in victory, defeat, and in forging alliances with people across the political spectrum on issue after issue.

In the words of Orrin Hatch:

“Today America lost a great elder statesman, a committed public servant, and leader of the Senate. And today I lost a treasured friend.

“Ted Kennedy was an iconic, larger than life United States Senator whose influence cannot be overstated. Many have come before, and many will come after, but Ted Kennedy’s name will always be remembered as someone who lived and breathed the United States Senate and the work completed within its chamber."

Why always Bush ? Why not bill and Monica ?

For someone that if self confesed as tollerant I dont get it.

My thoughts are that he will be judged by a higher power then the senate now. God have mercy on his soul. I have respect for him as a human but am glad we lost a career politician.
    "Communism only works in Heaven, where they don't need it, and in Hell, where they already have it" Ronald Reagan

Chappaquiddick will forever be part of Edward Kennedy's legacy. However, to judge him solely on that would be equivalent to judging GWB solely based on his history of cocaine use.
    R-i-i-i-ght! One man's short term recreational use of an illegal drug is the "equivalent" of another man committing manslaughter out of self-concern.

What color is the sky where you live?
    Kevin Walker

Any respect I had for you which (was not much) is now gone. Bush has never admitted to cocaine use (unlike your current president) and there has not be one credible source or proof that he has. You are a typical cowardly liberal that is willing to slander any Republican at any chance. You pretend to be the level headed type but once again your bias shows through.

Quote Originally Posted by code3retrievers View Post
    Any respect I had for you which (was not much) is now gone. Bush has never admitted to cocaine use (unlike your current president) and there has not be one credible source or proof that he has. You are a typical cowardly liberal that is willing to slander any Republican at any chance. You pretend to be the level headed type but once again your bias shows through.
    Nice personal attack.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by code3retrievers View Post
    Would you be happier if I said drunk driving and a shoddy military record? I may be, in you terms, a "cowardly liberal", but at least I post complete information on who I am and where to find me. You might want to consider doing the same if you wish to launch personal attacks.

The point of my comment was very simple. Ted Kennedy acted like an ass at Chappaquiddick. I haven't seen anything suggesting that he was guilty of manslaughter, but he was clearly driving in a fatal accident and failed to report the accident until he appeared at the police station at 10 AM the following day after the wrecked car and body had already been discovered. There is no excuse for such behavior as he himself said.

In the 40 years since then, he did a number of things in both his public and private life. In his public life, it is notable that he was among the most trusted of Senators from either party. As John McCain noted, he never broke a promise -- not a common trait among politicians. As a younger man he lived a questionable life and clearly abused his privilege. He shares that background with GWB among others. As an adult he certainly appears to have changed his life and become a man of compassion, charity and integrity. For that he deserves credit just as GWB deserves credit for the changes he made in his life after he stopped abusive drinking in 1986. If you are incapable of separating political belief from recognition of character, the loss is yours.

"Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you." Ephesians 4:32

For me it is hard to believe anyone on the left can complain about any truthful remarks, but negative, about the deceased Senator. considering the blast of false mud and crap that was heaped not just on Palin, but her children. Kennedy had a long and distinguished history as a drunk and womanizer. One of my favorites during a European vacation, was photographed having a sexual incounter in a motorboat.

Alabama senator Howell Heflin joked he was glad to see Kennedy had "changed his position on offshore drilling."

The point of my comment was very simple. Ted Kennedy acted like an ass at Chappaquiddick. I haven't seen anything suggesting that he was guilty of manslaughter,. . . .
    You haven't "seen anything?" Then you need to do further research --

Teddy was drunk driving when the accident happened. That is why he did not call the police right away, but did call aides who advised him not to call police as it would spend the end of his political career. Witnesses at his hotel said he was acting inebriated, and even though wet from the river, his breath still reeked of Scotch. Drunk driving leading to a death equals manslaughter.

But Teddy made sure his being inebriated could not be proven. Fine. Because of an air pocket in the upside-down vehicle, all evidence is that Mary Jo survived for at least enough time for him to get help to save her. He didn't. That also equals manslaughter.
    Kevin Walker

http://www.examiner.com/x-5919-Norfolk-Crime-Examiner~y2009m7d17-40th-anniversary-of-Mary-Jo-Kopechnes-drowning-at-ChappaquiddickKennedys-story-still-doubtful

"It was obvious to most people that
    Kennedy had allowed a young girl to
    drown, in a desperate and self-serving
    attempt to protect his political career."

= manslaughter
    Kevin Walker

...and a shoddy military record?
    Not that old dead fish about not serving in SE Asia. It ain't true except to liberals and Dan Rather. Ex-President Bush was a volunteer for duty in SEA but he had insufficient flying hours to go. By the time he had the hours, that aircraft wasn't deploying.

>>Mapes had information prior to the airing of the September 8 [2004] Segment that President Bush, while in the TexANG [Texas Air National Guard] did volunteer for service in Vietnam but was turned down in favor of more experienced pilots. For example, a flight instructor who served in the TexANG with Lieutenant Bush advised Mapes in 1999 that Lieutenant Bush “did want to go to Vietnam but others went first.” Similarly, several others advised Mapes in 1999, and again in 2004 before September 8, that Lieutenant Bush had volunteered to go to Vietnam but did not have enough flight hours to qualify.<<

See the whole report at: http://www.bernardgoldberg.com/conte...e-mess-part-1/

By the way, this is from the report that CBS commissioned on the incident.

Eric