The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Swine Flu

Default Swine Flu

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...-vaccine_N.htm

The White House issued this report on expectations of the swine flue pandemic this fall.

They are likening it to being worse than the 1957 flu that caused 70,000 deaths.

It would seem that we now have more effective vaccine delivery apparatus that should make this flu less impactful than it might have been in the past.

Not sure, but this seems to be a bit of an over-reaction in the predictions for this flu season.

Wonder what rushing the vaccines to market before testing is complete could have in terms of having an ineffective vaccine, or one that makes people sicker than they would otherwise have been?

What do you think?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

could it be another 'Scare Tactic" for health care reform ?

That's always been the problem with prevention. If you do it right, nothing happens and people claim that the expense of the prevention activities was a boondoggle and that the warnings of potential problems were politically motivated hysteria. By contrast, if you ignore the threat you avoid the possibility of embarrassment and the cost of prevention. You can still look like a hero as you charge in with the cavalry to sweep up the bodies. Finally, you blame your predecessor for having failed to prepare for such problems in advance and portray yourself as a victim. Unfortunately, this type of political math is pretty close to the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    That's always been the problem with prevention. If you do it right, nothing happens and people claim that the expense of the prevention activities was a boondoggle and that the warnings of potential problems were politically motivated hysteria. By contrast, if you ignore the threat you avoid the possibility of embarrassment and the cost of prevention. You can still look like a hero as you charge in with the cavalry to sweep up the bodies. Finally, you blame your predecessor for having failed to prepare for such problems in advance and portray yourself as a victim. Unfortunately, this type of political math is pretty close to the mark.
    Dang Jeff you finally hit the mark, Obamo is a "Victim".
    We all know it's going to be "Bush's" fault.

H1N1 Regards
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Soooo who is getting one if the have enough available ?

I myself have been severely sick every year I have gotten a flu shot. I have not had one in years. I dont think I will have any exposure since I dont plan on being on the senate floor anytime soon
    "Communism only works in Heaven, where they don't need it, and in Hell, where they already have it" Ronald Reagan

That's always been the problem with prevention. If you do it right, nothing happens and people claim that the expense of the prevention activities was a boondoggle and that the warnings of potential problems were politically motivated hysteria.
    We've been doing flu vaccines for years in this country. Making such a dire prediction seems a bit "over the top" since the vaccine is nearly ready.

Finally, you blame your predecessor for having failed to prepare for such problems in advance and portray yourself as a victim.
    If O were to blame Bush for the swine flu that would really make him (O)look dumb.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    We've been doing flu vaccines for years in this country. Making such a dire prediction seems a bit "over the top" since the vaccine is nearly ready.

If O were to blame Bush for the swine flu that would really make him (O)look dumb.
    He won't do it, he will have his peeps do it!!
    (the little people)
    Stan b & Elvis