Teachers and our school district have been negotiating a contract since April, and apparently it's hit a pretty major dead end. I couldn't go to the meeting tonight because I had something already planned. I just got a text from the gal who was voting on my behalf that it appears that we are on strike.
I have really mixed feelings. I support the items the union is fighting for, particularly the planning time they've taken away from all elementary teachers. On the flip side, we have to pass a levy this spring. It's going to be damn hard to pass a levy when we're striking. Failing a levy is highly likely now, and a failed levy means I'm out my job, guaranteed because after all the cuts last year, I lost a lot of seniority.
To be honest, I'm terrified. We haven't heard for certain yet if I will continue getting my paycheck (considering Brad has been laid off again, I cannot under any circumstance afford that) and there's a good chance that our support staff (assistants, bus drivers, secretaries, etc) will not get a paycheck either because of this. I have a hard time being responsible for 1/2 our district to be missing their paycheck.
The vote today was to decide if we work without a contract or strike. The meeting is still going on so I don't know what the conditions of working without a strike were, but I'm pretty nervous right now.