The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: English Labs?

Default English Labs?

Alright so there's another chocolate lab pup that lives down the road, and it's 5 mos old. I seen her at the park next to Quest and the dog is HUGE! The pup is the same size as Quest but a lot thicker!!! (Quest is 11 mos now)

I spoke to one of the owners before, explaining that Quest is a field lab and hers had to be from a show line and she replied "She's an english lab that's why she's so big".... I was left a little puzzled by this, and again today at the park I said 'wow has she ever grown' the teenage son says 'it's because she's an English lab'.... That's when I knew I had to come home and research this stuff.

I've read quite a bit already, but I'm curious to hear what you guys classify english & American labs or show/bench & field labs.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Jennifer Teed

Still In Training

Eastern Shore of Maryland http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com

Jennifer, I realize you are fairly new to RTF and you don't realize what a can of worms you have opened by your last statement.

Before it gets started, let's all agree that we love our dogs....no matter whether they are English show lines or American bred Field lines.

Please "play nice".
    Vicky
    RTF Moderator
    http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com/Remembrance.html "You'll Cry"

Quote Originally Posted by Vicky Trainor View Post
    Jennifer, I realize you are fairly new to RTF and you don't realize what a can of worms you have opened by your last statement.

Before it gets started, let's all agree that we love our dogs....no matter whether they are English show lines or American bred Field lines.

Please "play nice".
    There's also quite the separation between British Field lines and British Show lines. The British Field folks are none too fond of the British show labs.... Just cuz it's Brit doesn't mean it is from the same general mold.

Chris

Ladies and Gentlemen, Fasten your seatbelt. We may experience a little turbulence.
    If you cannot stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them!!!!

Live today as if it is your last, for no man is guaranteed tomorrow.

Note to Self........ Be fast on the Whistle and slow with the Cast

JAVA - My 1st hunting / Test Dog - I miss him
    Dixie - Left us way to soon
    Abby - She makes my daughter smile
    Storm - my constant shadow

Whoops, didn't mean to cause any trouble.

I'm just trying to educate myself a bit better. I'm still learning here, and I'm not saying any which type is better than the other... I always knew that there were show labs and field labs, just never knew them as American and English... seems a bit odd to classify them by their origins since they are being bred all over the place and probably being cross bred which would make it hard to properly classify them.

I have also heard of British labradors to and it's all a little confusing is all... All this being said there should be Canadian Labs! :P
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Jennifer Teed

Still In Training

There is nothing wrong with your question. There are just allot of people with very strong opinions on the board.
    If you cannot stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them!!!!

Live today as if it is your last, for no man is guaranteed tomorrow.

Note to Self........ Be fast on the Whistle and slow with the Cast

JAVA - My 1st hunting / Test Dog - I miss him
    Dixie - Left us way to soon
    Abby - She makes my daughter smile
    Storm - my constant shadow

Well I think the whole thing is just silly. Who cares what they call their Labrador. Some are big, some small, some hunt and some don't, some excell in the field, some in the show ring. They are all Labrador Retrievers.
    I hope I can put an FC or AFC on one of my dogs someday. I'm going to say he's Romanian and really rake in the big bucks.
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

It's not really complicated (!)

Within the US there are two "lines" of Labrador; those that are bred for their qualities as hunters and those that are bred for the show bench. The latter are often referred to as "English" or even "British".

Physically the two groups are quite different; the hunters tend to be medium sized and athletic, the show dogs are generally bigger, not so well muscled and heavier. There are also differences in temperament and abilities, but these are less immediately obvious.

Within the UK the breed is also divided between working and show lines in much the same way.

British Labs from the UK and Ireland from working (ie Field Trial) lines look remarkably similar to working Labs in the US, to most folks they are quite indistinguishable.

Thus far nothing controversial or too confusing.

There are however a large number of kennels in the US offering hunting dogs from UK lines (called British!). By distinguishing these dogs and their abilities from the home grown product they engender a degree of warmth in the bosom of many of Uncle Sam's nieces and nephews.

Most of us in these forums tend to tread softly round this aspect, and concentrate on dogs and training and hunting and wildfowling and rabbiting and breeding and shooting and Trials and Tests and picking up and dove hunting and woodpigeon shooting and shooting the breeze and knocking a few pints back in the village pub; in fact anything.

'N das all I gwain ta say 'bout dis ting.

Eug
    Last edited by Colonel Blimp; 09-01-2009 at 04:13 AM.
    Thank you, very kind, Mine's a pint.

There's only two kinds-Labradors and Labrador Retrievers. Labradors are those fat, couch potatos that do that sissy stuff and then there's them Labrador Retrievers. Them's the huntin dawgs.

Where do labradoodles fit in to all of this??
    ________
    Arizona marijuana dispensaries
    Last edited by ducknwork; 04-21-2011 at 06:16 PM.