The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: approval rating

Perhaps you can enlighten me, but I fail to see how the recession is Bush's fault. IMO, it is the fault of the general public. Greed and stupidity got us into this mess. Sure, you can be mad at Countrywide all you want for offering mortgages that would make them a ton of money, but you have to be some kind of idiot to think that you can afford a $300K house making $50K/yr. "Hey, they are willing to give me that much, that must mean I can afford it." Not to mention the other massive debts that millions of people acquired because they had to have the newest car, the biggest tv, the most toys...Who cares if you can't pay for it. "They didn't give me that high of a credit limit for nothing, right?"

It is going to be awfully difficult for the economy to recover at this rate...Sure, his policies might create a few jobs, but it is going to be hard for the American people to stimulate the economy beyond basic necessities due to the cost of living continuously rising (gas, food, etc). Let us not forget that we are going to spend an ungodly amount of money on healthcare (among other things) if the chosen one has his way. Wait, how will that be paid for? Oh, that's right. We are going to take more taxes out of everyone's paycheck, leaving you even LESS to feed your family with. As a natural progression, more and more people will become dependent on the government to live and they are okay with that. Who wouldn't want a freebie? Don't forget-
    "Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have." Thomas Jefferson

You can't spend yourself out of debt regards...
    ________
    UNIVERSAL LIFE INSURANCE DICUSSION
    Last edited by ducknwork; 04-21-2011 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    Perhaps you can enlighten me, but I fail to see how the recession is Bush's fault. IMO, it is the fault of the general public. Greed and stupidity got us into this mess. Sure, you can be mad at Countrywide all you want for offering mortgages that would make them a ton of money, but you have to be some kind of idiot to think that you can afford a $300K house making $50K/yr. "Hey, they are willing to give me that much, that must mean I can afford it." Not to mention the other massive debts that millions of people acquired because they had to have the newest car, the biggest tv, the most toys...Who cares if you can't pay for it. "They didn't give me that high of a credit limit for nothing, right?"

It is going to be awfully difficult for the economy to recover at this rate...Sure, his policies might create a few jobs, but it is going to be hard for the American people to stimulate the economy beyond basic necessities due to the cost of living continuously rising (gas, food, etc). Let us not forget that we are going to spend an ungodly amount of money on healthcare (among other things) if the chosen one has his way. Wait, how will that be paid for? Oh, that's right. We are going to take more taxes out of everyone's paycheck, leaving you even LESS to feed your family with. As a natural progression, more and more people will become dependent on the government to live and they are okay with that. Who wouldn't want a freebie? Don't forget-
    "Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have." Thomas Jefferson

You can't spend yourself out of debt regards...
    Don't look for an argument out of me. Your first paragraph is exactly what I gripe about, when I see young couples making less than half of what I make, buying houses that cost twice as much! Let them find out the hard way what responsibility is about. God forbid you live in an apartment until you can save for a downpayment!

This recession is not 100% Bush's fault, but his out of control spending, tax cuts during an expensive war (first in history of mankind) give creditors and other countries the impression that we have no intent of feigning responsibility! He ran this country just like the idiotic people who spend, spend, SPEND, with no regards for when the bills come in. Well, they're here now, and we're in deep.

I can't say it enough, but I am not, nor have I ever said Obama has all the answers. Actually, for what has changed, he's basically continuing the Bush policies. Sure, he signed a fancy declaration to close Gitmo, but it's still open. We're still in two wars. We're still spending like an ex-wife with hubbie's credit cards. We're still cutting deals with corporate America to protect their interests above the workin' guy's. Nothing has changed.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Don't look for an argument out of me. Your first paragraph is exactly what I gripe about, when I see young couples making less than half of what I make, buying houses that cost twice as much! Let them find out the hard way what responsibility is about. God forbid you live in an apartment until you can save for a downpayment!
    My dentist's son graduated from dental school and came home to work for Dad. The first thing he and his wife did was build a $600,000 house right behind mine. His dad lives in a house worth 1/3 that. He said to me, how much does he figure on making, working in my practice???? Interestingly dad sold the business to his son, and now he works part time for the son. Dad is still fuming.

This recession is not 100% Bush's fault, but his out of control spending, tax cuts during an expensive war (first in history of mankind) give creditors and other countries the impression that we have no intent of feigning responsibility! He ran this country just like the idiotic people who spend, spend, SPEND, with no regards for when the bills come in. Well, they're here now, and we're in deep.
    If you knew ANYTHING about economics, you would know that ALL tax cuts result in increased tax revenue. </snark>

I can't say it enough, but I am not, nor have I ever said Obama has all the answers. Actually, for what has changed, he's basically continuing the Bush policies. Sure, he signed a fancy declaration to close Gitmo, but it's still open. We're still in two wars. We're still spending like an ex-wife with hubbie's credit cards. We're still cutting deals with corporate America to protect their interests above the workin' guy's. Nothing has changed.
    And thus, down goes his poll numbers. The Republicans were never with him to begin with. What many Democrats and Independents are seeing is that "change" actually means that things remain pretty much the same. And they are seeing spineless leadership from the White House and Congress.

If I was polled today, I would report a negative view of Obama and the Democratic Congress.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    I'm not sure if you are young enough that this question is serious. Assuming you are, Catch 22 is a reference to Joseph Heller's best selling novel of the same name about World War II. The most enjoyable way to find out the meaning is to read the novel, which is very funny. Catch 22 applies to persons seeking a mental health discharge from the army. It states that, since it is a mark of sanity to avoid danger, that anyone seeking a mental health discharge is obviously sane and cannot be discharged. It has been generalized to mean any lose-lose bureaucratic situation.

I can't believe that I am old enough to have read the book shortly after it was published in paperback form (c. 1962/63).

AMEN......kind of like...if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand.

Heller and Vonnegut....now there were some writers.
    Train the dog, the ribbons will take care of themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    And they are seeing spineless leadership from the White House and Congress.

Surely you must be mistaken. I thought he had steel in his spine??
    ________
    Lovely Wendie99
    Last edited by ducknwork; 04-21-2011 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TXduckdog View Post
    AMEN......kind of like...if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand.

Heller and Vonnegut....now there were some writers.
    Double-Amen to that!

This blind squirrel found two nuts....I stumbled across first editions of Catch-22 and Slaughterhouse 5. Two of my prized lucky finds.

I would add Fitzgerald to that list of "some writers".
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Back in July I posted a poll where you could weigh in and rate the president on several key issues. So out of curiousity I checked it out today.
    Do you approve or disapprove of Obama's handling of health care?
    Strongly disapprove 75%
    Strongly approve 11%
    Somewhat disapprove 7%
    Somewhat approve 7%

Do you approve or disapprove of Obama's handling of the economy?
    Strongly disapprove 75%
    Strongly approve 10%
    Somewhat disapprove 8%
    Somewhat approve 7%

Do you approve or disapprove of Obama's handling of the federal budget deficit?
    Strongly disapprove 84%
    Strongly approve 7%
    Somewhat approve 5%
    Somewhat disapprove 4%

Do you approve or disapprove of Obama's overall handling of his job as president?
    Strongly disapprove 72%
    Strongly approve 12%
    Somewhat disapprove 10%
    Somewhat approve 6%
    Note that this is most definitely NOT a right-wing engineered poll, it's from AOL. Not exactly a bastion of conservatism . And interestingly, the epic freefall of his approval ratings can't be blamed on the health care fiasco either. Oddly, only 8% of those polled rated health care as the most pressing national concern, trailing behind unemployment, the federal budget deficit and the economy.

http://news.aol.com/article/obama-ap...ratings/578736
    Last edited by Julie R.; 09-03-2009 at 09:23 AM.

where will we be as a nation? (if we still are a nation by then) "

Your words, not mine. As I said, maybe I read too much into it.
    Are you so obsessed with attacking conservatives that you can't attribute posts to the proper poster?

I"m still at a loss as to why, after 8 years of Bush and neocon budgets, why we're in this mess that became apparent in around october 2008. This didn't just pop up Jan 20? We should be seeing job growth, budget surpluses, and the fruits of the Bush tax cuts.
    Please tell me you're joking AGAIN. Where was YOUR Democratic congress, who sat on their hands for TWO YEARS!?!? The mess became apparent in 2008? You're only a year behind....and Congress STILL didn't act....

And we're in this "mess" because of greed, pure and simple...and greed knows NO political affiliation.

kg
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

Quote Originally Posted by K G View Post
    Are you so obsessed with attacking conservatives that you can't attribute posts to the proper poster?

Please tell me you're joking AGAIN. Where was YOUR Democratic congress, who sat on their hands for TWO YEARS!?!? The mess became apparent in 2008? You're only a year behind....and Congress STILL didn't act....

And we're in this "mess" because of greed, pure and simple...and greed knows NO political affiliation.

kg
    we can agree on your last line!

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    I'm not sure if you are young enough that this question is serious. Assuming you are, Catch 22 is a reference to Joseph Heller's best selling novel of the same name about World War II. The most enjoyable way to find out the meaning is to read the novel, which is very funny. Catch 22 applies to persons seeking a mental health discharge from the army. It states that, since it is a mark of sanity to avoid danger, that anyone seeking a mental health discharge is obviously sane and cannot be discharged. It has been generalized to mean any lose-lose bureaucratic situation.

I can't believe that I am old enough to have read the book shortly after it was published in paperback form (c. 1962/63).
    Oh, I understand the use of the phrase. I just don't agree with its use in the quoted post.
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift