The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ammo Stretch... Anyone else seen it?

Default The Ammo Stretch... Anyone else seen it?

I had the pleasure of judging a derby on Friday 9/4 with John Gassner. The clear winner was dog #2 Ammo. This win broke the 100 point threshold and, I believe, put her at 101 points total, which she then built upon the following day at another trial.

Every once in a while, you get to see a dog demonstrate an idiosyncracy that's unique or rare. Friday we had this with Ammo, and her owner/handler Bill tells me that she seems to do this when she comes to the line and is given the time to settle in.

Bill brought Ammo to the line, and she sized-up the scene. She looked around, took in the location of the guns and surveyed the terrain. As she did this, she stretched her front legs waaaay out and lowered her front end down, raising her rear end up. Then she stuck each of her rear legs out individually and stretched them out, all the while taking in the test. When done, she sat beautifully and got ready for Bill to call for the marks.

It was like a powerlifter interlocking his fingers and stretching palm-out to pop his knuckles before a big lift, or maybe a sprinter stretching out his legs before settling down in the blocks to launch for a race.

It was really cool. I'm glad I got to see it.

What a neat little dog.

Bill, enjoy the journey.

Sincerely, Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    I had the pleasure of judging a derby on Friday 9/4 with John Gassner. The clear winner was dog #2 Ammo. This win broke the 100 point threshold and, I believe, put her at 101 points total, which she then built upon the following day at another trial.

Every once in a while, you get to see a dog demonstrate an idiosyncracy that's unique or rare. Friday we had this with Ammo, and her owner/handler Bill tells me that she seems to do this when she comes to the line and is given the time to settle in.

Bill brought Ammo to the line, and she sized-up the scene. She looked around, took in the location of the guns and surveyed the terrain. As she did this, she stretched her front legs waaaay out and lowered her front end down, raising her rear end up. Then she stuck each of her rear legs out individually and stretched them out, all the while taking in the test. When done, she sat beautifully and went got ready for Bill to call for the marks.

It was like a powerlifter interlocking his fingers and stretching palm-out to pop his knuckles before a big lift, or maybe a sprinter stretching out his legs before settling down in the blocks to launch for a race.

It was really cool. I'm glad I got to see it.

What a neat little dog.

Bill, enjoy the journey.

Sincerely, Chris
    Hey Chris, I heard you had a great trial... Ammo has done this quite often...Maybe she is asking the judges if "that's all you've got?" Ha!

I think it shows just how relaxed and prepared she is for most scenarios... Very little to no self-imposed pressure.
    Bill Davis

Someone needs to get a video cam out at one of these trials.

I don't no if Roux does that but drake does when he gets out of the truck. Another funny thing is I bet if you scratch Roux or Ammo on the rump they will do a funny dance with there hind end. Both Antsy and Coach did this also from what Terri Veech told me.
    ________
    WELLBUTRIN PREGNANCY
    Last edited by scott spalding; 04-11-2011 at 03:14 PM.

That sounds awesome- kind of like an athlete's pre-competition ritual.

Quote Originally Posted by scott spalding View Post
    Another funny thing is I bet if you scratch Roux or Ammo on the rump they will do a funny dance with there hind end. Both Antsy and Coach did this also from what Terri Veech told me.
    I know a lot of dogs that will do this when you scratch that spot right where the top of their tail meets their back/rump. Our housecats will do the same thing- it is funny to watch. They look like they're being tickled.

We need video, surely someone has video of the Ammo stretch.
    GRHRCH Huntington's Aged T Perfection MH...Colby (FC AFC Roux MH x GMPR Tyra MH)
    HRCH Huntington's All That Melody...Jazz (GRHRCH Boomer x Callie) Momma's Girl
    Huntington's Cool Customer... Chilly (Lefty QAA x Black SH)

Talking

Quote Scott Spaulding: "I don't no if Roux does that but drake does when he gets out of the truck. Another funny thing is I bet if you scratch Roux or Ammo on the rump they will do a funny dance with there hind end."
    My dog Jake who is littermate to Ammo does the same stretch when exiting the truck and when scratched on his hind end. Pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by akbrowndogs View Post
    Quote Scott Spaulding: "I don't no if Roux does that but drake does when he gets out of the truck. Another funny thing is I bet if you scratch Roux or Ammo on the rump they will do a funny dance with there hind end."
    My dog Jake who is littermate to Ammo does the same stretch when exiting the truck and when scratched on his hind end. Pretty funny.
    My repeat breeding from Ammo's litter does not do the stretch, but he loves to sleep upside down...is this a male thing?
    GRHRCH Huntington's Aged T Perfection MH...Colby (FC AFC Roux MH x GMPR Tyra MH)
    HRCH Huntington's All That Melody...Jazz (GRHRCH Boomer x Callie) Momma's Girl
    Huntington's Cool Customer... Chilly (Lefty QAA x Black SH)

Can you breed for such amazing characteristics?
    These are field trials and the people involved largely don't understand a normal day much less a "normal days hunt".

My dog scoop does this as well. She's the picture of relaxation. After doing this same stretch, she then often turns a few circles, lays down and proceeds to curl up in a ball while the birds go down. Upon releasing her on her name she will lift an eyebrow, sigh and then look to the judges to save her from the moron who thinks she has to go get birds that I could not in my wildest dreams ever hit with a shotgun.

My advice is do not breed for this trait.

Here's to my beer guzzling Buddy BIR's Double Scoop of Ice Queen SH. (Scoop)

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"