The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Facts On Obama's Cash for Clunker Program

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    I don't know enough about the CFC program and all the facts to make a judgement right now. But I do know that what you present does not take into account all of the effects. GM has increased production, recalled workers, and this will result in parts suppliers increasing production. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but it's not as simple as you paint. Its not only about gallons of gasoline saved. Also, you assume a lot of facts that are "not in evidence". Who says the clunkers averaged 15mpg? Who said they only drive 12k per year? Economic issues are almost always more complex than four or five calculations and assumptions. I'm willing to listen though.
    And they will be called in long enough to restock the dealers....then we will be right back where we were before CFC and I imagine most of them layed off again. It will take another CFC to sell enough cars to have another round of substantial re-calls of workers.

CFC, while a nice short term shot in the arm for the industry, does nothing for the long term fundamentals of that business. You can apply that to any business....we are about to see the same thing for refrigerators.

I am still trying to figure out why MY money should help buy someone a new car...If I want to spend MY money on a new car, then dammit, I want it to be for ME to drive.
    ________
    Extreme Vaporizer Review
    Last edited by ducknwork; 04-21-2011 at 05:22 PM.

I remember the day when the goverment crushed all their old ww2 and vietnam jeeps and other viehicals,,,,,, because dam,,,,we dont want to compete with US auto makers. It was a huge waste of money then ,,,,and it is no different today.

At least back then we didit sell it to our enemies.
    It makes me feel safe when our enemies make computer chips for our military aircraft.

This kind of horshit is so ingraned and spiderwebbed through american politics there is nothing left to do but get more tangled up.

Pete

I don't know the background story but this morning on MSNBC's financial report they said it will be highly unlikely that GM and Chrysler will repay the bailout money.

I also read that many dealerships will go bankrupt waiting for the gooberment to reimburse them.

Once again this illustrates that we are stepping over dollars to pick up dimes.
    "Communism only works in Heaven, where they don't need it, and in Hell, where they already have it" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    I am still trying to figure out why MY money should help buy someone a new car...If I want to spend MY money on a new car, then dammit, I want it to be for ME to drive.
    You had your chance.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    You had your chance.
    Thats right the Government is waaaaayyy smarter than you and knows how to spend YOUR money on someone else. Dont hold out for a thank you card.
    "Communism only works in Heaven, where they don't need it, and in Hell, where they already have it" Ronald Reagan

You had your chance.
    Not if his trade in was worth more than $4500.

Quote Originally Posted by gman0046 View Post
    A vehicle at 15 mpg and 12,000 miles per year uses 800 gallons of gasoline a year. A vehicle at 25 mpg and 12,000 miles per year uses 480 gallons a year.

So, getting rid of each average Clunker will reduce US gasoline consumption by 320 gallons per year.

They claim 700,000 vehicles - so thats 224 million gallons per year.

That equates to a bit over 5 million barrels of oil.

5 million barrels of oil is about 1/4 of one days US consumption.

And, 5 million barrels of oil costs about $350 million dollars at $75/bbl.

So, we all contributed to spending $3 billion to save $350 million.

AND THESE CLOWNS WANT TO RUN OUR HEALTH CARE????
    First, the average trade in/upgrade was not 10mpg better. There are no averages available but the minimum requirement was an improvement of 4mpg!!!

Second, now the CFC is over, dealerships all across the coutry are in a major sales slump again as buyers have learned to buy only when there are substantial discounts.
    “The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.” –Thomas Jefferson

Banned

You had your chance.
    Nope I didn't get a chance. My "clunker" didn't qualify and I have a relatively new vehicle. So, I can't really afford to trade in a paid off vehicle to have another payment.

The American way, deficit spending.

I'm sure that because my tax dollars went to pay for others cars, that because I could not use the program they will send me my $4500 just like all the folks that went in and used the program got.

Unfortunately, because I think ahead, don't get in over my head debt-wise I get screwed.

That's what makes Obama's speech yesterday stupid. He "preaches" do better for yourself, stay in school and take responsibility.....but the reality is, if you do that, then you get to pay for all the lazy-ass people who don't want to work, got in over their head debt-wise and can't or won't take responsibility for their own actions.

WRL

Quote Originally Posted by WRL View Post
    Nope I didn't get a chance. My "clunker" didn't qualify and I have a relatively new vehicle. So, I can't really afford to trade in a paid off vehicle to have another payment.

The American way, deficit spending.

I'm sure that because my tax dollars went to pay for others cars, that because I could not use the program they will send me my $4500 just like all the folks that went in and used the program got.

Unfortunately, because I think ahead, don't get in over my head debt-wise I get screwed.

That's what makes Obama's speech yesterday stupid. He "preaches" do better for yourself, stay in school and take responsibility.....but the reality is, if you do that, then you get to pay for all the lazy-ass people who don't want to work, got in over their head debt-wise and can't or won't take responsibility for their own actions.

WRL
    Amen brother