The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Pocket Rocket retriever's first real hunt

Smile Pocket Rocket retriever's first real hunt

Well I did it. I've offically lost my mind and I couldn't be happier. I took Weezie out in the field with us, to really hunt. I wanted to see if she has what it takes or if she just loves to train in controlled environments. We went dove hunting Sunday evening-bunch of us on some sunflower fields. Typical dove hunt, periods where they really come in and then dry spells, hot as the dickens, sitting along a tree line. Ruckus is the designated dove dog-he picked up 17 shot between my husband and brother in law-slow evening, but still a lot of fun. I had Weezie in her crate right next to my chair, watching the whole thing, shooting over her. Finally Ruck was hot and I put him up, Bart shot a dove about 20 yards in the sunflowers and I took Weez out to hunt it up and much to my surprise it was very much alive. Before I could pull Weezie off, since she hasn't ever seen a live bird, let alone a dove-she winded it and the chase was on. Answered my question about live birds or cripples. She caught it and brought it back to me. She retrieved 3 more, 2 she marked and one we had to hunt up. Very soft mouthed, no mouthing issues with the feathers. What a doll. My husband just laughed and the guys in the field thought she was great. I just think she is cute as a button. I'm pretty sure I have the smallest dove dog in Illinois. I think I'm going to teach her to handle next.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is cool!
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC - 03/03/1999 - 12/05/2014 My everything!
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    Embers Aint Misbehavin - Flirt (Corona's mini me)

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

Actually she is the perfect size for dove hunting. She can push through all of the tangles and brush (where for some reason all the doves seem to fall) and her mouth is the perfect size for the size of the bird. Plus if she gets tired, you can pack her out easily!
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

That is awesome!