The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Right Spin on Handle

Default Right Spin on Handle

I have a 4 mo pup that gets handled to his food every day. We are now working on the over command. With a (my) right over he spins right backward, corrects then shoots of on his left on the correct course. Even on the back command, no matter the arm/hand I use he spins to the right. I've set his food a few yards from him and he knows its there but still spins only to his right. Is he overly a right handed dog or can time and training correct this?

Most dogs like to spin one way over the other.

Train them to spin in the direction of the hand you use.

For the food dish, I'd offset the food dish (or the dog) so it was over the dog's left sholder and handle him to the food dish with a straight up left. If he spins right, stop him (use a lead if you have to) and keep working it until the dog will spin left for dinner. Alternate with right spins so the dog will spin both ways. Overs the same way.

I don't have a clue what your dog is doing on the over you described.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

If the pup is cast to his left he does a 270 degree turn to the right, is then facing the direction he should go and then takes off. Thanks for the tip on using a check cord to help correct this.