The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Speech

Quote Originally Posted by tpaschal30 View Post
    Yes he did. "There are now more than thirty million American citizens who cannot get coverage."

http://www.forbes.com/2009/09/09/ful...r=contextstory

I find it a bit disingenuous to say that 30 or 47 (whichever) million CAN NOT get health care. Can not means they are denied ANY possibility of Buying some sort of coverage. It should be worded that they don't have coverage. I do agree that many choose not to which those that do pay for care end up paying for them anyway. I am not sure that mandating folks have coverage will pass constitutional muster. I want to know what steps will be put in place to keep illeagles from getting coverage. I am sure congress will never go along with any sort of federal ID program.
    "Communism only works in Heaven, where they don't need it, and in Hell, where they already have it" Ronald Reagan

"We will do this by creating a new insurance exchange--a marketplace where individuals and small businesses will be able to shop for health insurance at competitive prices. Insurance companies will have an incentive to participate in this exchange because it lets them compete for millions of new customers. As one big group, these customers will have greater leverage to bargain with the insurance companies for better prices and quality coverage. This is how large companies and government employees get affordable insurance. It's how everyone in this Congress gets affordable insurance. And it's time to give every American the same opportunity that we've given ourselves."

Actually, Mr Prez g'ment employees hae choices from private insurance companies not some new health exchange.

Seems like the Constitution gave the right of intrastate regulations to the State.

Once again the guy who's never run a thing shows why.

Yes he did. "There are now more than thirty million American citizens who cannot get coverage."

Is the number who "cannot get coverage" the same as the number of uninsured? I don't know...
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

If we can wave a magic wand and cut back on waste, fraud and mismanagement and improve medicare/medicade tell me again why we are not doing that now.

The move towards tort reform is a insult. Kinda like saying here little Billy I will buy you a red ballon if you sit in the car nice and quiet while I go in and rob your parents of all their money.
    "Communism only works in Heaven, where they don't need it, and in Hell, where they already have it" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Is the number who "cannot get coverage" the same as the number of uninsured? I don't know...
    Or does this include those who choose not to be covered but can afford it?

Quote Originally Posted by txbadger View Post

Actually, Mr Prez g'ment employees hae choices from private insurance companies not some new health exchange.

Seems like the Constitution gave the right of intrastate regulations to the State.

They choose their insurance from a menu, sort of like an exchange.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    I love Joe Wilson. Give that man a ceegar!

We live in Cuba now.
    Why would you "love" a guy who jumps up and makes an ass out of himself?

Joe Wilson said it was a lie when Obama said the health care plan did not include illegal immigrants. John McCain said on one of the morning shows that no where in his health plan did it provide for illegal immigrants.

[QUOTE][Apparently this does not include the 17 million illegals he says he's not going to insure.
    The problem is the numbers, they just don't pencil and everyone, including him, knows it./QUOTE]

This is just a play on words. He is right illegals wil not becovered under insurance just like they arent now,,,but still recieve free medical.

But now I will be forced to pay for an insurance policy. Over my life time I have always whipped out the check book in time of need. Now I will be forced to whip it out every month weather I need it or not. Some choice that is.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    Why would you "love" a guy who jumps up and makes an ass out of himself?

Joe Wilson said it was a lie when Obama said the health care plan did not include illegal immigrants. John McCain said on one of the morning shows that no where in his health plan did it provide for illegal immigrants.
    Not now no. He will "bring them in from the shadows" later and make them legal, then they will be covered. Technically he is not lying. Lawyer speak!!!

I stand corrected. I had been looking for the number 30 rather than the word. Of the 47 million uninsured, 30-35 million are native born and the balance includes both citizens and non-citizens. I suspect that is the source of his number plus a desie not to overstate.

"We are the only advanced democracy on Earth---"

Dang, I thought We were a Republic guess I was wrong & we do have 57 States too.
    We actually call ourselves both: a democratic republic where the selection of representatives is by vote of the people and the number of representatives in congress is decided by population. The party of Jefferson was actually called the Democratic Republicans.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Amrein View Post
    I find it a bit disingenuous to say that 30 or 47 (whichever) million CAN NOT get health care. Can not means they are denied ANY possibility of Buying some sort of coverage. It should be worded that they don't have coverage. I do agree that many choose not to which those that do pay for care end up paying for them anyway. I am not sure that mandating folks have coverage will pass constitutional muster. I want to know what steps will be put in place to keep illeagles from getting coverage. I am sure congress will never go along with any sort of federal ID program.
    Try to buy health insurance as an individual unaffiliated with a company or group. You will find that your premiums are at least twice those charged to a large group and that your ability to obtain coverage is likely to depend on a clean medical exam and will still exclude not only all pre-existing conditions but that your coverage may be terminated at any time if it turns out you had an undisclosed prior condition whether or not that condition had been treated and whether or not that condition was related to any subsequent claims for service. I went to purchase a disability plan once for myself. I discovered that it was cheaper for me to purchase coverage for all of my employees (30 people at the time) and pay the premium myself than it was to buy individual coverage. If you have a serious pre-existing condition, you may not be able to purchase coverage at any price. I went four months without insurance for that reason and only obtained coverage because of a state mandated open enrollment period.

"We will do this by creating a new insurance exchange--a marketplace where individuals and small businesses will be able to shop for health insurance at competitive prices. Insurance companies will have an incentive to participate in this exchange because it lets them compete for millions of new customers. As one big group, these customers will have greater leverage to bargain with the insurance companies for better prices and quality coverage. This is how large companies and government employees get affordable insurance. It's how everyone in this Congress gets affordable insurance. And it's time to give every American the same opportunity that we've given ourselves."

As noted above, individual coverage prices are extreme. The same is true for small companies. Coverage for an individual through my company plan was $760/month and coverage for a family was $2100. The same plan through a larger company group was $420 for an individual and $800 for a family. A health exchange as proposed would allow smaller companies and individuals to purchase at prices similar to large companies. However, this savings only happens when accompanied by a requirement ensuring virtually universal coverage. Currently, insurance companies assume that individual who are paying for their own insurance only purchase it if they anticipate becoming ill. The people who anticipate being healthy choose to forgo insurance rather than pay the full cost. If everyone buys insurance, the price to everyone with coverage will go down and insurance companies will better be able to predict cost. As a result, they will not need to charge as must of a risk premium.