The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8 years ago today--GDG

Default 8 years ago today--GDG

I was less than 2 months pregnant and teaching 2nd grade. Honestly, the thought of explaining this to my child has never crossed my mind until my 7 year old started asking questions. I just never imagined having to explain it to anyone because EVERYONE knows about that day.

I was unprepaired to answer questions like "What was the point?" and "Why do I keep hearing about Afganistan today?" and "What is a terrorist?" I think my baby lost some of her inocense today.

I am curious as to where you were in your life on that day? It's one of those moments that brings everyone together.
    Joni
    I don't wear black because it makes me look slim, I wear black because it hides the dog hair.

It is the new defining moment....just like the Kenedy assisnation was for the older folks. Everyone lost some innocence 8 years ago.
    'I make my practices real hard because if a player is a quitter, I want him to quit in practice, not in a game.' - Bear Bryant / Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBoley View Post
    It is the new defining moment....just like the Kenedy assisnation was for the older folks. Everyone lost some innocence 8 years ago.
    My 7 year old lost some of her's today. She's having a hard time falling asleep now thinking about it. I actually appreciate having to have that talk with her because it reminds me to stop and think and appreciate a bit more. It forced me to stop and remember and pray a bit more tonight.
    Joni
    I don't wear black because it makes me look slim, I wear black because it hides the dog hair.

Eastern Shore of Maryland http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Fowl Play WA View Post
    I am curious as to where you were in your life on that day? It's one of those moments that brings everyone together.
    I was driving to New York with Will to pick up my dog trailer. I remember hearing about the first plane and thinking what a tragic accident. Then, when the second plane hit the WTC, I remember the panic and calling my Mom and Dad....I was scared. They knew we were going to NY and I assured them that we would be west of NYC as my Dad tried to calm my fears. We stopped at a rest station and the TVs where tuned in on the breaking news. It was so hard to accept that what we were seeing was actually happening. Everyone was glued to the various TVs in the building. I remember the gasps from myself and the people around me as we watched in horrid as the WTC collapsed. I stood there and cried...as were many people.

I also remember a couple of other things....when the plane went down in PA, my Mom and Dad finally got through to us on the cell phone and wanted to make sure where we were since they knew we would be headed near that area of PA.

And probably one of the most terrifying memory was when the plane hit he Pentagon. My brother-in-law who was active Army (Lt. Col) at the time worked there. No one in the family could reach his office or his cell phone. We later learned he was OK, but one of his best friends was killed and many people he worked with killed or injured.

I remember the feelings of unbelief, fright, panic, sadness as we stood watching the news . I remember feeling like a child as my Dad talked to me on the phone that day, trying to ease my fears and my tears. Not something I will forget as long as I live.

HEY! Did you just call me "old"??? I can remember being in 7th grade gym class and my teacher telling us about JFK being shot. Then, as the news broke that he had died, I remember my classmates and I hugging each other and crying about the news. A part of our innocence was lost that day also.

Come to think about it....both of these "events" caused me to turn to my Dad to comfort me and help ease the tears....... Wow...what would I do without him!!?? He just turned 85 years old yesterday!!! (Yep, I'm a "Daddy's Girl"!!)
    Last edited by Vicky Trainor; 09-11-2009 at 11:15 PM.
    Vicky
    RTF Moderator
    http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com/Remembrance.html "You'll Cry"

Some people are like Slinkies.. Not really good for anything..
    But they still bring a smile to your face when you think about pushing them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicky Trainor View Post
    I was driving to New York with Will to pick up my dog trailer. I remember hearing about the first plane and thinking what a tragic accident. Then, when the second plane hit the WTC, I remember the panic and calling my Mom and Dad....I was scared. They knew we were going to NY and I assured them that we would be west of NYC as my Dad tried to calm my fears. We stopped at a rest station and the TVs where tuned in on the breaking news. It was so hard to accept that what we were seeing was actually happening. Everyone was glued to the various TVs in the building. I remember the gasps from myself and the people around me as we watched in horrid as the WTC collapsed. I stood there and cried...as were many people.

I also remember a couple of other things....when the plane went down in PA, my Mom and Dad finally got through to us on the cell phone and wanted to make sure where we were since they knew we would be headed near that area of PA.

And probably one of the most terrifying memory was when the plane hit he Pentagon. My brother-in-law who was active Army (Lt. Col) at the time worked there. No one in the family could reach his office or his cell phone. We later learned he was OK, but one of his best friends was killed and many people he worked with killed or injured.

I remember the feelings of unbelief, fright, panic, sadness as we stood watching the news . I remember feeling like a child as my Dad talked to me on the phone that day, trying to ease my fears and my tears. Not something I will forget as long as I live.

HEY! Did you just call me "old"??? I can remember being in 7th grade gym class and my teacher telling us about JFK being shot. Then, as the news broke that he had died, I remember my classmates and I hugging each other and crying about the news. A part of our innocence was lost that day also.

Come to think about it....both of these "events" caused me to turn to my Dad to comfort me and help ease the tears....... Wow...what would I do without him!!?? He just turned 85 years old yesterday!!! (Yep, I'm a "Daddy's Girl"!!)
    Vicky, it sounds like a call to daddy is in order. Glad you still have him.
    Joni

I'm one of older folks you're talking about. It was a big deal. The school principal got on the intercom and addressed the whole school, teachers and kids cried. But, this was (arguably maybe) one lone man with a mail order rifle.

The World Trade Center, the pentagon and the crater in the field in Pennsylvania wasn't done by a lone nut working by himself. These guys were organized, had planned this out for a long time and were well bankrolled. The planners and the bankrollers are still active. They're still threatening us today. There is such a huge difference between the two tragedies.

I cannot believe that the organizers and bankrollers are still out there giving us grief. They really have won so much more than I thought they could when I first heard about the world trade center. I want these guys dead.

Lee Harvey Oswald never pissed me off like these guys. He was just a lone nut. These guys are a whole organization working to destroy us.
    Last edited by Howard N; 09-12-2009 at 12:50 AM.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

I was in a hotel in San Fransico waiting for a night game in Oakland.

Wife woke me up with a phone call.

We stayed in San Fran for 2 days until MLB decided to bus us to Seattle for the next series.

Only to turn us around for home.

Somehow, we drove on a dirt run way somewhere in California and got on a plane for Texas.

I've never been so happy to be home and hug my wife in my life.
    These are field trials and the people involved largely don't understand a normal day much less a "normal days hunt".

I was in High School... Grade 10 actually, living in Whitehorse, YT. I heard about the accident while walking through the halls in the morning, then first period we did nothing but watch the news, we were interrupted with an assembly in the gymnasium, then all the buses available in town pulled up at our school to evacuate. As we were all lined up outside waiting for our buses, and foreign 747 flew right over the tree tops. This was weird for us since planes that large would have never landed in such a small town airport.

When I got home, on my chartered city transit bus, my brother and I sat outside watching fighter jets fly around the city. Later we decided to go to the store, but little did we know everything was shut down... there were no cars or people to be seen. A ghost town.

I remember hearing on the radio that we had snipers set up at the airport, while these foreign planes had to land in Whitehorse because they couldn't land in the states.

I don't remember all the details, but it was just odd how much it effected us considering we were so far away...
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Jennifer Teed

Still In Training

My twins turned 5 that day, they turned turned 12 today and watched it again..today... this time with a lot of sadness and understanding and anger, even though we live so far away...The world lost it's innocence that day but not it's hopes.

"Lest we Forget"
    beauty fades, but dumb is forever. (Judge Judy)

I had just finished feeding my newborn son Adam when his mom and I watched in horror as the second plane hit the tower. My initial reaction was " we are at war" so i got in the truck and went to wal mart and bought all the diapers and formula I could afford figuring they might be hard to come by. I remember being at home with my son all day and wondering WHAT KIND OF WORLD DID WE BRING OUR LITTLE GUY INTO...I worked at Morton's that night and nobody said a thing it was eerie to be in a full restaurant and being able to almost hear a glass hit the floor.It was almost surreal but eerie..I got home as soon as I could and gave my son the biggest hug and slept in his room in a rocking chair
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"