The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33

Thread: Let's start a trade war.

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    Like with most things, there has to be some middle ground between allowing cheap imports into the U.S. and protecting jobs at home. The U.S. International Trade Commission, which is an independent Federal agency, actually recommended that Obama impose duties for three years starting at 55% to counter tire imports from China, which have tripled over the last 4 years.

    Contrary to what you think, U.S. tire companies do make cheap low cost tires. However, they have moved those operations to China and Mexico to take advantage of cheap wages and almost non-existent environmental regulations. The result has been that about 13 U.S. tire plants have been closed and about 15,000 U.S. workers have lost their jobs. Just last year, the Goodyear plant in Tyler, TX closed, putting 1,400 people out of work from its peak production. That plantís operations went overseas. They were the 2nd largest employer in Tyler. They Tyler, TX plant made low cost tires for the replacement market.

    During his presidential campaign, Obama outlined a new, progressive trade policy that would help domestic industries seeking relief from foreign competition. It looks like he is following through on that promise. Since the election, he has also pledged to avoid protectionism to avoid exacerbating the current global recession. Itís going to be difficult walking the fine line between the two.

  2. #22
    Senior Member Buzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brookings, South Dakota
    Posts
    6,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    Could be the fact that we no longer have a manufacturing class, because the unions have seen to it that all the rank and file laborers have to be paid huge union salaries complete with lavish health care plans and extravagant pensions. So labor has to be outsourced abroad or we'd be paying three times what tires cost now.

    Also FYI part of the Obamacare is billions of our tax dollars used for bailing out union pensions that were mismanaged because heaven forbid a union factory worker might be in the same boat as the rest of the country when it comes time to retire or a union exec. can't draw 6 digit annual retirement cash. Obongo doesn't care if the rest of us starve and have to use witch doctors, ju ju pots and gris gris as long as his peeps are taken care of.
    You're right. I don't think American laborers should expect to make any more money than those in China. I don't think they deserve healthcare, vacation time, or weekend off for that matter either. Also, I think that the US should repeal every last environmental law, bring our environmental laws and the standard of living of American workers down to parity with the Chinese.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

    Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

  3. #23
    Senior Member Bruce MacPherson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Jewell, Ore
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackstone View Post
    Like with most things, there has to be some middle ground between allowing cheap imports into the U.S. and protecting jobs at home. The U.S. International Trade Commission, which is an independent Federal agency, actually recommended that Obama impose duties for three years starting at 55% to counter tire imports from China, which have tripled over the last 4 years.

    Contrary to what you think, U.S. tire companies do make cheap low cost tires. However, they have moved those operations to China and Mexico to take advantage of cheap wages and almost non-existent environmental regulations. The result has been that about 13 U.S. tire plants have been closed and about 15,000 U.S. workers have lost their jobs. Just last year, the Goodyear plant in Tyler, TX closed, putting 1,400 people out of work from its peak production. That plantís operations went overseas. They were the 2nd largest employer in Tyler. They Tyler, TX plant made low cost tires for the replacement market.

    During his presidential campaign, Obama outlined a new, progressive trade policy that would help domestic industries seeking relief from foreign competition. It looks like he is following through on that promise. Since the election, he has also pledged to avoid protectionism to avoid exacerbating the current global recession. Itís going to be difficult walking the fine line between the two.
    So if the Rutgers study is correct we will only lose 25,000 more jobs probably lose a share of our export market and have the Chi coms start laying off debt causing even more instability, yipee.
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    Less than 50 years ago, 1/3 of U.S. employees worked in factories, making clothing, tires, cars, furniture, etc. These were good paying jobs that helped fuel our economy. Today, a little more than 1/10 of the nation's 131 million workers are employed in manufacturing jobs. Four-fifths are in lower paying service industries.

    Since 2000, more than 1.9 million manufacturing jobs have been lost, most of which have gone to Mexico and China. Thatís about 10% of the manufacturing workforce. During the same period, the number of jobs outside manufacturing have only risen about 2%.

    Many of the factory jobs are being lost are in response to a sharp rise in global competition being faced by U.S. companies. Unenforced trade regulations have greatly contributed to the problem. Companies continue to look for ways to reduce costs and increase profits by moving jobs abroad to take advantage of lower labor costs, low or non-existent environmental regulations. They are also trying to position themselves to sell products to growing markets abroad, like India and China.

    Meanwhile, the loss of good paying jobs continues to erode the standard of living in the U.S. for the average working American.

  5. #25
    Senior Member subroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Dover, New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,112

    Default

    sounds good. If it is a trade war started by a democrat, it must be good for the nation.

    democrats care about the little guy.

    democrats are smart.
    subroc

    Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

  6. #26
    Senior Member zeus3925's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    West Twin Cities Metro, MN
    Posts
    2,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce MacPherson View Post
    Obama has slapped tariffs on all passenger and light truck tires imported from China. I can think of 4 or 5 reasons that this is a stupid idea but he needs concessions from the unions to float his health care package and keep his base pacified so there ya go, another bold leadership move.

    What concessions might that be?
    Zeus

    I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

  7. #27
    Senior Member Mike W.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    1,348

    Default

    Sept. 14 (Bloomberg) -- China announced a probe into the alleged dumping of American auto and chicken products, two days after U.S. President Barack Obama imposed tariffs on imports of tires from the Asian nation.

    Way to go O'Dumbass.

  8. #28
    Senior Member Bruce MacPherson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Jewell, Ore
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    What concessions might that be?
    The AFL-CIO say they are non negotiable on three parts of the proposed health care legislation.

    Employer mandates
    No tax on health benefits
    Public Option.

    Of the three the public option seems to be the biggest problem for them although they would be pretty adamant about the tax on so called Cadillac health plans because so many union workers have them.
    It would appear that the public option is probably not going to fly and at this point the President is likely to take what he can get. What does the President have to do to persuade the unions to stay on board?
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce MacPherson View Post
    So if the Rutgers study is correct we will only lose 25,000 more jobs probably lose a share of our export market and have the Chi coms start laying off debt causing even more instability, yipee.
    That is "IF" the economist from Rugters is correct. Of course, we know economists are alway correct. Only time will tell.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    sounds good. If it is a trade war started by a democrat, it must be good for the nation.

    democrats care about the little guy.

    democrats are smart.
    It really doesn't matter to me which party tries to correct the trade imbalance that is negatively impacting the average American worker. I don't care who fixes it. I just want to see it fixed.

Similar Threads

  1. This I do not like one bit trade with Iran
    By Roger Perry in forum POTUS Place - For those who talk Politics in the Gallery!
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-21-2009, 10:43 AM
  2. Here Comes Cap and Trade
    By Raymond Little in forum POTUS Place - For those who talk Politics in the Gallery!
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-15-2009, 10:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •