The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Training scenario: what would you do with this person

Default Training scenario: what would you do with this person

This is not a what should she do but a what would you do. Her current trainer is handling herself just fine, just wnating to see what others would do in a similar situation.

A person came to agility classes with a herding breed. The dog did not have much control and eventually started charging after other dogs.

This person was doing private lessons but would not change what she was doing. It has become apparent that what she is doing is not working. So she was basically coming to private lessons and paying the trainer but not doing it the way the trainer wanted. SO she basically paid to work her dog.

I witnessed the dog lunging after another dog. The dog looked to the owner who immediately gave it a treat for looking at her. (you and I know that reinforced the aggression, but the owner has a whole thought out reason to believe otherwise).

Does not believe in setting her dog up to fail(ie, putting it in the situation in order to fix the problem)

If she keeps the dog on leash, the dog simply spins circles around her. She will not use an ecollar because she believes that if you have to use an ecollar then you really aren't a good trainer.

IMO, a few good corrections and this dog will be fixed. She is a great dog and would be a great working dog, but the owner will not let go and allow her trainer the reins to help her.

The dog does not do this when the spouse works it. This person has been doing private lessons for quite some time but will not do what is being asked to be done. Personally, if a trainer was not training in a way that I want, I would find another trainer. I am not going to go sign up for a clicker class then ask not to use the clicker

What would YOU do with a person like this? Would you ask them to leave? Would you try to break the barrier in order to help the dog? Would you simply allow them to keep working their way until they came to terms with the situation?
    Last edited by agile.labs; 09-14-2009 at 01:43 PM.
    Success is a journey, not a destination

I would tell them that they need to learn how to control their dog. If they don't like it then they can leave. Too much crap gets started this way. Been there seen it.
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    Embers Aint Misbehavin - Flirt (Corona's mini me)

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!

Quote Originally Posted by 1st retriever View Post
    I would tell them that they need to learn how to control their dog. If they don't like it then they can leave. Too much crap gets started this way. Been there seen it.
    Well they have already been excused from a class setting as it was not allowing any one to feel safe working their dog and that isn't fair to those that are listening and progressing., but asked to continue to do privates.

I would have a firm talk with the owner and get all of it out on the table and see where it falls. Be up front that if you are going to do your job that THIS is what has to happen...if they wont agree to work on that level then its probably best to end the relationship. It wont be best for the dog necessarily but you are at a point that something has to change with the owner or no change can be made with the dog anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by redleg06 View Post
    I would have a firm talk with the owner and get all of it out on the table and see where it falls. Be up front that if you are going to do your job that THIS is what has to happen...if they wont agree to work on that level then its probably best to end the relationship. It wont be best for the dog necessarily but you are at a point that something has to change with the owner or no change can be made with the dog anyhow.
    That is what I would do to but I would really have to write and rewrite what to say because there are so many things but they just wouldn't be nice.

Like: What you are doing is obviously not working. Do you want my help or not??

And I think you are right, unless the owner changes, the dog isn't going to either.

I went to a clicker class and didn't use a clicker, but I went for the socialization not the training per say.

I would say the trainer needs to say "Thank you, but maybe it's time to move on or get with the program."

FOM
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    I went to a clicker class and didn't use a clicker, but I went for the socialization not the training per say.
    LOL. OK maybe I should have rephrased that . I wouldn't sign up for a clicker class and then show up and talk aout how horrible the clicker was as a tool.

Quote Originally Posted by agile.labs View Post
    LOL. OK maybe I should have rephrased that . I wouldn't sign up for a clicker class and then show up and talk aout how horrible the clicker was as a tool.
    I have to admit the instructor was POed at first when I refused to take a clicker and use one, but then we had a long talk and she realized it wasn't my first rodeo and that I wasn't going to saying anything negative about the clicker means of training....I just wanted my puppy to go through a formal OB class and get some socialization....an important first step in my opinion.
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

I tell you what I would do: I WOULD SEND THEM OUT WEST TO /PAUL AND BUBBA.

yep that is what I would do................................

I know a guy with a male GR that is treat trained and no collar as well. I was walking by him with my Male lab and his dog snapped at mine. He then gave him a treat and told him how he was a good dog and he was proud to see him act like a boy. He was warned for this and the next time it happened he was no longer a part of the training gorup for failure to control an agressive dog.

I no longer train with or near him. If people won't change then I change the people I am around.
    My Father,My Friend,My teacher,and now My Angel~ 04/21/1956-03/21/2011 You will always be missed. I hope to learn half of the stuff you knew.

~Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted~