The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's start a trade war.

Default Let's start a trade war.

Obama has slapped tariffs on all passenger and light truck tires imported from China. I can think of 4 or 5 reasons that this is a stupid idea but he needs concessions from the unions to float his health care package and keep his base pacified so there ya go, another bold leadership move.
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

Let us list all the STUPID
    Let us list all the STUPID*

Now let us weight the stupid and stupid* and pick the one that may tell us if we are being give a good, bad, or indifferent Government Revenue action and trade plan. I am pretty much starting to trust this new Administration, it seems to have so much more on the ball than the last and are about 1000% more honesty. But what would you expect from someone who appears to be Bleeding Heart Dogooder?

What we need is more info that has not been skewed by partisans on either side. I do not know about the Unions, but if true, the Management of the four Michelin, one Continental, and one Firestone Plants within 100 miles of Columbia, Must be ecstatic.

One mans Ecstasy is another mans KA KA.

SEMPER FI
    Last edited by ALPHA-OMEGA; 09-12-2009 at 06:23 AM. Reason: under line malf.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce MacPherson View Post
    Obama has slapped tariffs on all passenger and light truck tires imported from China. I can think of 4 or 5 reasons that this is a stupid idea but he needs concessions from the unions to float his health care package and keep his base pacified so there ya go, another bold leadership move.
    I favor free trade. However, I feel free trade has to work equally in both directions and with currencies that float freely against each other (a condition rejected by China). There is nothing wrong with establishing a short term transition period when a sudden shift in trading patterns threatens major disruption. The US negotiated the right for such short term transition provisions when China joined the WTO.

The three year declining tariff imposed by the administration was lower than the tariffs recommended by the U.S. International Trade Commission. Having now imposed the tariff, there will be a mix of negotiations with the Chinese and potential legal action through the WTO which could address alternative approaches for easing the transition for the tire industry or could address the broader issue of revaluation of Chinese currency. It's not a bad place to begin a discussion.

I am continually amazed at the beating that our auto tires take on our beat-up roadways. I'm sure that all those travelling long distances for dogs have hit their fair share of potholes on the Interstate highway system! If not, I've got a couple of Interstates I could recommend to you for testing conditions

With China's poor record for quality controls in everything from children's toys to the gluten in dog foods, I'm not feeling warm and fuzzy about how well they'll do with tires.

Hopefully, companies like Michelin who purport to produce high-quality products, take quality control measures even when they produce tires in different countries. It would appear that Chinese manufacturers (whatever their product) are less conscientious of quality controls.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    With China's poor record for quality controls in everything from children's toys to the gluten in dog foods, I'm not feeling warm and fuzzy about how well they'll do with tires. Great point (and scary to consider, too).

Hopefully, companies like Michelin who purport to produce high-quality products, take quality control measures even when they produce tires in different countries. It would appear that Chinese manufacturers (whatever their product) are less conscientious of quality controls. My brother has worked for a couple of different Chinese companies and travels there alot. He says they've got a pretty remarkable can-do and entreupenueral (sp) spirit, but two aspects of their culture that hurts them is their pride and rigid hierarchy. As a result, if some mid-level ham and egger on the factory floor sees something messed up he won't report or fix it because it will make him or his boss look bad. Squeeky wheels get punished there.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce MacPherson View Post
    Our unemployment is high enough the way it is. I believe Obama did the right thing by imposing a tariff on imported Chineese tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    Our unemployment is high enough the way it is. I believe Obama did the right thing by imposing a tariff on imported Chineese tires.
    It is another example of him stepping all over capitalism, BUMMA is what needs to go NOW!!!!!!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    It is another example of him stepping all over capitalism, BUMMA is what needs to go NOW!!!!!!!
    Maybe we should outsource all of the products we produce to China so all the people in the U.S. are out of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    He's using an atom bomb to kill an ant....

Thanks to all of the debt he's assigned to us, our children, and our children's children, we need China to help float a deficit that is expected to reach $1.56 TRILLION this year (and that's BEFORE we get sacked with paying for "his" health care program AND his Cap and Trade initiative). BHO also needs China's vote to seek new sanctions against Iran to combat their nuclear program. Taxing Chinese tires, a miniscule overall move, is not likely to go over well.

But hey....he's not really known for thinking things out before stepping in the KA KA....

kg
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

Quote Originally Posted by K G View Post
    He's using an atom bomb to kill an ant....

Thanks to all of the debt he's assigned to us, our children, and our children's children, we need China to help float a deficit that is expected to reach $1.56 TRILLION this year (and that's BEFORE we get sacked with paying for "his" health care program AND his Cap and Trade initiative). BHO also needs China's vote to seek new sanctions against Iran to combat their nuclear program. Taxing Chinese tires, a miniscule overall move, is not likely to go over well.

But hey....he's not really known for thinking things out before stepping in the KA KA....

kg
    VERY good points KG...

Not considering those points, what makes taxing chinese tires bad? Would this not give more incentive to build tires in the US, causing US companies to hire US citizens, thereby dropping US unemployment rates and stimulating US economy? Perhaps I am confused...

Then again...if he ticks off China, they cash in their IOU's, we're broke, all govt dependent...ahhh, nevermind. I will take off the tin foil hat...
    ________
    Body Science
    Last edited by ducknwork; 04-21-2011 at 06:31 PM.