The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Swine flu vaccine???

  1. #1
    Senior Member dnf777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Western Pa
    Posts
    6,161

    Default Swine flu vaccine???

    Who's getting their swine flu shot? I usually pass on flu shots, but I'm thinking about this one!
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

  2. #2
    Senior Member labdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    249

    Default

    Interesting, I was just in the process of researching this today. I'm still debating that one, although there is NO way I will be first in line. Colorado was looking for a 100 "guinea pig" children to test the vaccine on. What parent in their right mind would volunteer their own kid for a new vaccine trial? I can understand chemo for a rare cancer the kid already has and will be fatal otherwise, but an elective vaccine? Call me paranoid but there was the 1970 swine flu vaccine that has been possibly linked to neurologic symptoms.

    The older I get the less I want to be on the bleeding edge of medicine, let others be the test subjects. At this time, I will likely get the vaccine AFTER some time has elapsed from the initial release date. My other thought is the seasonal flu could be worse than normal as people may opt for the H1N1 only and pass on the "common" flu strain. Time will tell.
    Last edited by labdoc; 09-15-2009 at 07:18 PM.
    Curt

    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!----Benjamin Franklin

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Detroit Lakes, MN
    Posts
    1,443

    Default

    Don't do it. It is part of this administration's socialist agenda. The government is behind this vaccine.
    There is no need for concern. The swine flu threat is being overplayed. Hardly anyone is dying. It is just another shameless attempt by the left to whip up fear to control the people. Classic left wing tactic. Don't be sheeple.

  4. #4
    Senior Member dnf777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Western Pa
    Posts
    6,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by labdoc View Post
    Interesting, I was just in the process of researching this today. I'm still debating that one, although there is NO way I will be first in line. Colorado was looking for a 100 "guinea pig" children to test the vaccine on. What parent in their right mind would volunteer their own kid for a new vaccine trial? I can understand chemo for a rare cancer the kid already has and will be fatal otherwise, but an elective vaccine? Call me paranoid but there was the 1970 swine flu vaccine that has been possibly linked to neurologic symptoms.

    The older I get the less I want to be on the bleeding edge of medicine, let others be the test subjects. At this time, I will likely get the vaccine AFTER some time has elapsed from the initial release date. My other thought is the seasonal flu could be worse than normal as people may opt for the H1N1 only and pass on the "common" flu strain. Time will tell.
    My thinking is also along those lines. The problem is, if you wait to see if there are any side effects, it will be well into the flu season and you will not be proteted. If this spreads like some fear, the chances of contacting the disease are relatively high, and it does seem to carry a high mortality rate for young, healthy people.

    In a way, this validates my reasons for NOT getting routine flu shots. I figure, while I'm young and healthy, why not be sick for a few days and acquire natural immunity that is often life long, against the hundreds of antigens that a natural virus carries to protect myself in the future....rather than get a shot with 3 antigens that offers fleeting immunity at best? They are now theorizing that the reason older and even sicker people are protected from swine flu is that they were exposed to a certain virus in the 1950s that shared a common antigen with H1N1, and still carry natural immunity.

    Viruses and bacteria play a role in our ecologic neighborhood, and as we've shown time and time again, when we try to intervene with ecological manipulation, rarely to we succeed. (or at least succeed without creating another, often larger problem!) That's "rarely", not "never". Smallpox, polio, and the guinea worm are success stories.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

  5. #5
    Senior Member Buzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brookings, South Dakota
    Posts
    6,801

    Default

    Given that my 10 year old daughter has mild asthma, I would like her to get the vaccine at the earliest opportunity.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

    Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

  6. #6
    Senior Member Gerry Clinchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    6,918

    Default

    They are now theorizing that the reason older and even sicker people are protected from swine flu is that they were exposed to a certain virus in the 1950s that shared a common antigen with H1N1, and still carry natural immunity.
    Cool! Finally some advantage to getting older!
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

    ​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Uncle Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Rapid City, SD
    Posts
    4,289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Who's getting their swine flu shot? I usually pass on flu shots, but I'm thinking about this one!
    You obviously have no farmer clients, certainly no hog farmers. H1N1 is the name of this virus in this part of the country. If you'd live in an agricultural section of the nation, you'd understand how devastating that name has been to the hog producers in the nation.

    But then even a Minnesotan in a state that DOES raise pork, is equally ignorant, or is purposely slamming the hog producers. Hard to tell with Henry...he hides his position so cleverly.

    UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

  8. #8
    Senior Member dnf777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Western Pa
    Posts
    6,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
    You obviously have no farmer clients, certainly no hog farmers. H1N1 is the name of this virus in this part of the country. If you'd live in an agricultural section of the nation, you'd understand how devastating that name has been to the hog producers in the nation.

    But then even a Minnesotan in a state that DOES raise pork, is equally ignorant, or is purposely slamming the hog producers. Hard to tell with Henry...he hides his position so cleverly.

    UB
    Is THAT why I was referred to as a 'bigot'?? Hey, I like pigs of ALL colors!
    Funny you call me out on that, as I never liked the term "swine flu" either, for that very reason, but thought it would be easiest to refer to it in the most popular term. Viruses are often eponymed by how or where they are isolated first...no harm intended, but often is.

    cheers,
    dave
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    Go ahead and take the shot. I did, and there were hardly any noticable side effects at all!


  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    lake charles,la
    Posts
    418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackstone View Post
    Go ahead and take the shot. I did, and there were hardly any noticable side effects at all!

    MAN is that not bee-uuu-t-ful !! that a lot of sausage and BOUDIN, BACON!!!!

Similar Threads

  1. GDG Has anyone else had this stupid swine flu???
    By Kristie Wilder in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 11-26-2009, 11:57 AM
  2. Swine Flu Paranoia - GDG
    By FOM in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-01-2009, 08:28 AM
  3. Swine Flu
    By Gerry Clinchy in forum POTUS Place - For those who talk Politics in the Gallery!
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-27-2009, 06:46 PM
  4. Symptoms of swine flu.....GDGDGDGDGDGGDg
    By Gun_Dog2002 in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-01-2009, 08:02 PM
  5. Swine Flu Funny GDG
    By S Thurby in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-30-2009, 12:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •