The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swine flu vaccine???

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyb View Post
    MAN is that not bee-uuu-t-ful !! that a lot of sausage and BOUDIN, BACON!!!!
    You had to mention Boudin! Only took me 3 years to get that out of my mind, now that I can't get any in Pennsylvania! Ain't no substitute, either!
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

“Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.” ~ Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by honker88 View Post
    I really think the whole H1N1 thing is way overblown...

As with all other flu vaccines, I will not be getting one.

I'm not arguing with you, as I don't get the standard flu shot either, but this one is killing people. We just had a healthy 45 year old woman die in a neighboring hospital. That kind of makes one rethink. A few posts up, I gave me reasons for NOT getting vaccinated routinely, and I stick by them. One more think that concerns me about the H1N1 (thank you, U.B.!) is the rush to mass market. I understand the constraints, but I would feel a little better about it if it were produced by standard vaccine makers in the standard fashion.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    I'm not arguing with you, as I don't get the standard flu shot either, but this one is killing people. We just had a healthy 45 year old woman die in a neighboring hospital. That kind of makes one rethink. A few posts up, I gave me reasons for NOT getting vaccinated routinely, and I stick by them. One more think that concerns me about the H1N1 (thank you, U.B.!) is the rush to mass market. I understand the constraints, but I would feel a little better about it if it were produced by standard vaccine makers in the standard fashion.
    Better reread your post, a healthy 45 year old with the flu is not healthy. Additionally 30-40,000 die every year with the seasonal flu in the U.S. And to think H1N1 was declared a pandemic when, what was the number, 7 (?) had died in the U.S. Sensationalism with this is greater than Jimmy Carter calling us all racists.
    Curt

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!----Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by labdoc View Post
    Better reread your post, a healthy 45 year old with the flu is not healthy. Additionally 30-40,000 die every year with the seasonal flu in the U.S. And to think H1N1 was declared a pandemic when, what was the number, 7 (?) had died in the U.S. Sensationalism with this is greater than Jimmy Carter calling us all racists.
    Ok, otherwise healthy 45 year old female. I think 99.999% understood the point.

Pandemic refers to the geographic distribution of the disease. Mortality or lethality refer to how many die. There is an epidemic of stupidity in Washington, but nobody has died from it. Hold your tongue, you may want to criticize the same people if it becomes apparent they haven't done enough.

Preparing for any unpredictable natural disaster is easy target for anyone who wants to criticize or armchair quarterback. Look at hurricane evacuations....another false alarm....couldn't they see this coming....should have acted sooner....should have waited longer.....

I think the CDC and the WHO are doing their best under very uncertain, yet possibly dire circumstances. Anytime a disease kills otherwise healthy people, there is cause for alarm. With traditional influenza epidemics, your 30-40k are more typically the very young, very old, or otherwise vulnerable. Also, the number of 7 fatalities that you seem to downplay came during the "off season", which can portend a much more severe fall season.

This has nothing to do with Jimmy Carter, and attempts to politicize it will just hamper the good efforts of people trying to figure this thing out.

We just had a 24 year old woman die locally from H1N1. I have never been diligent about getting yearly flu shots. Sometimes I get them, sometimes I don't. However, with people dying from this strain of the flu, I think I'm going to get the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Ok, otherwise healthy 45 year old female. I think 99.999% understood the point.

Pandemic refers to the geographic distribution of the disease. Mortality or lethality refer to how many die. There is an epidemic of stupidity in Washington, but nobody has died from it. Hold your tongue, you may want to criticize the same people if it becomes apparent they haven't done enough.

Preparing for any unpredictable natural disaster is easy target for anyone who wants to criticize or armchair quarterback. Look at hurricane evacuations....another false alarm....couldn't they see this coming....should have acted sooner....should have waited longer.....

I think the CDC and the WHO are doing their best under very uncertain, yet possibly dire circumstances. Anytime a disease kills otherwise healthy people, there is cause for alarm. With traditional influenza epidemics, your 30-40k are more typically the very young, very old, or otherwise vulnerable. Also, the number of 7 fatalities that you seem to downplay came during the "off season", which can portend a much more severe fall season.

This has nothing to do with Jimmy Carter, and attempts to politicize it will just hamper the good efforts of people trying to figure this thing out.
    Actually according to Steadman's medical dictionary, a pandemic is a disease affecting or attacking the population of an extensive region or an extensive epidemic. When declared, this flu had been seen in a dozen or 2 isolated locations, far from "pandemic" in my mind. More people were probably affected by bathtub falls during that time than H1N1. I would suspect but have no way of knowing that a similar number people died from the "regular" flu during the same time but no one covered that story or declared that the sky is falling.

Semantics aside, I believe this has been blown out of proportion just like the constant elevated terror alerts issued during the whole Bush reign. Eventually people start saying, "another terror alert or another pandemic" and when the real thing DOES happen they have become desensitized.

My point with Carter is that he exaggerated that all who oppose Obama are racists and currently the H1N1 risk SEEMS to be exaggerated. We will know come springtime.
    Curt

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!----Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by labdoc View Post
    Actually according to Steadman's medical dictionary, a pandemic is a disease affecting or attacking the population of an extensive region or an extensive epidemic. When declared, this flu had been seen in a dozen or 2 isolated locations, far from "pandemic" in my mind. More people were probably affected by bathtub falls during that time than H1N1. I would suspect but have no way of knowing that a similar number people died from the "regular" flu during the same time but no one covered that story or declared that the sky is falling.

Semantics aside, I believe this has been blown out of proportion just like the constant elevated terror alerts issued during the whole Bush reign. Eventually people start saying, "another terror alert or another pandemic" and when the real thing DOES happen they have become desensitized.

My point with Carter is that he exaggerated that all who oppose Obama are racists and currently the H1N1 risk SEEMS to be exaggerated. We will know come springtime.
    Yes, when I was the Preventive Medicine Officer for Ft. Polk and Battalion Surgeon for JTF-SWA I read a little about epidemics and pandemics. It was on the suggested reading list. The pattern and rate of spread are considered, not just a dozen or two sites. I don't think anyone is trying to raise the "terror alert", here, just being cautious with a yet unknown entity that has shown to be very lethal and very widespread.

The CDC tracks influenza trends and your questions will be answered if you check their website at www.cdc.gov

Personally, I'm glad the dedicated men and women at WHO and CDC are taking this seriously. If some choose to see it as a political conspiracy or being blown out of proportion, they can feel free to bury themselves in their bunkers and wait for the all clear.