The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Dog related tax deductions

  1. #11
    Senior Member TXduckdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    What about the owners of the really good stud dogs that are bred hundreds of times? Do the owners have to declare the income if it is as you say a hobby or do they have to declare the income because it is making a profit?
    Roger....I suppose there is some language in the tax code about this.

    We can call Charlie Rangel who wrote most of it and ask and then also ask how we could get by without declaring it...like he did.
    Train the dog, the ribbons will take care of themselves.

  2. #12
    Senior Member Steve Amrein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    St. Peters, MO
    Posts
    1,860

    Default

    How about prostitution hows that claimed.........


    Our friends had big $$ litters and lots of stud fees from time to time and to offset the income they even had to buy a new truck. The had it all set up in the past as some sort of Company or LLC. I would not want to set anything like that up because if I showed the losses on paper like I assume it would work out I would be sick or be in the hospital for what the wife would do to me.
    "Communism only works in Heaven, where they don't need it, and in Hell, where they already have it" Ronald Reagan

  3. #13
    Senior Member ErinsEdge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    SE Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,736

    Default

    You handle them like race horses, but most of those people have a bunch.
    Nancy P



    "We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

  4. #14
    Senior Member luvmylabs23139's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    What about the owners of the really good stud dogs that are bred hundreds of times? Do the owners have to declare the income if it is as you say a hobby or do they have to declare the income because it is making a profit?
    Technically, the best way would be to set up an LLC prior to having that great stud dog.
    Real life best way to handle it, no comment.

    If you kept all records for prior years you could actually file ammended returns adding in the business with losses to offset the years of income. That would not have to be an LLC .

    Don't forget that if the owner of the stud dog has multiple dogs they can offset the income from the one stud dog with the expenses for all of the dogs.
    Last edited by luvmylabs23139; 09-16-2009 at 11:25 AM. Reason: add amended returns

  5. #15
    Senior Member Richard Halstead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lino Lakes, MN north metro area
    Posts
    2,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    What about the owners of the really good stud dogs that are bred hundreds of times? Do the owners have to declare the income if it is as you say a hobby or do they have to declare the income because it is making a profit?
    All the profit is reported as well as costs for maintaining the stud dog. You can write off entry fee's, as well as travel expeses. If you write off more than you take in it's no longer a business, but a hobby.
    cave canem...beware of the dog
    Richard Halstead (halst001 at yahoo.com)

    http://www.browndogmafia.com/finalists.html

  6. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    9

    Default

    I'm not sure that losing money is what turns a business into a hobby. I believe the IRS is realistic enough to recognize that many many many businesses come into being but end up losing money. I also don't think that whether or not you have a full time job figures in to what constitutes a hobby. You have to remember that the IRS is boxed in because ideally for them, everyone would have a full time job AND a lucrative taxable sideline. Bottom line is that the IRS's mission is to encourage the profit motive, not to discourage it.
    Last edited by Hank; 09-16-2009 at 03:29 PM.

  7. #17
    Senior Member labdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    249

    Default

    I still question the hobby versus business part as anything can be a hobby yet I can't deduct, say watching football, unless I plan to publish a video on armchair quarterbacking, then it becomes a business. Truthfully the puppy mill is more of a business than the occasional retriever breeder as they are the one's trying to make it profitable.

    Let me change my original question a little. If you have 1-2 litters a year, do YOU deduct food, vet, kennels, bumpers, training, etc. and if so has the IRS ever questioned your deductions?
    Curt

    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!----Benjamin Franklin

  8. #18
    Senior Member luvmylabs23139's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by labdoc View Post
    Let me change my original question a little. If you have 1-2 litters a year, do YOU deduct food, vet, kennels, bumpers, training, etc. and if so has the IRS ever questioned your deductions?
    Claim no income deduct no expenses. Chances are expenses are greater than income. YOu would be able as a hobby breeder to deduct all the food, vet bills, etc associated with any other dogs you own as they are also part of your hobby. The retired 12 yr old snoozing on your couch is part of your hobby.
    Don't play with fire with the IRS

  9. #19
    Senior Member YardleyLabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Yardley, PA
    Posts
    6,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by labdoc View Post
    I still question the hobby versus business part as anything can be a hobby yet I can't deduct, say watching football, unless I plan to publish a video on armchair quarterbacking, then it becomes a business. Truthfully the puppy mill is more of a business than the occasional retriever breeder as they are the one's trying to make it profitable.

    Let me change my original question a little. If you have 1-2 litters a year, do YOU deduct food, vet, kennels, bumpers, training, etc. and if so has the IRS ever questioned your deductions?
    I have deducted expenses related to the maintenance of the dogs I breed, but have not deducted expenses related to training or purchase. I have also reported a profit (albeit a small one) from breeding activities and paid the piper. For my photography, which is similarly at risk of being classified as a hobby, I deduct all variable expenses (travel, supplies, shipping, annual software upgrades), but not the costs of equipment since that would place me in a loss position. I show a small net profit and pay the taxes. I have never been audited on either.

Similar Threads

  1. Not dog related but...
    By FOM in forum Product Review
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-29-2008, 03:15 PM
  2. Non dog related just funny !
    By flblackdog in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-28-2008, 05:50 PM
  3. Not dog Related-nothing to complain about- :)
    By mpage in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-19-2007, 01:53 PM
  4. How sick is this (dog related)
    By Roger Perry in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-16-2007, 09:23 AM
  5. Not dog related but my pregnancy related its a ,....
    By Jana Knodel in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-04-2007, 03:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •