The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Soda Tax

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Next time you're in WalMart, conduct this simple observation. Stand at the end of the vegetable area and notice the body habitus of people buying fresh fruits and vegetables. Then stand at the end of the potatochip/twinkie aisle and observe. Or the soda aisle.
    This made me laugh out loud. I don't need to actually go look. I know it's true...
    ________
    Expert Insurance
    Last edited by ducknwork; 04-21-2011 at 06:40 PM.

bags, boxes or wrappers, and NEVER soda.
    plain rice (bags & boxes); flour (bleached or unbleached), bags; oatmeal (round box); nutritious breakfast cereals, boxes; fresh vegetables, often in plastic wrappers; all fresh meat is in plastic wrapper; cheese, plastic wrappers; orange juice, boxes.

Better idea to classify the item than it's container.

It is a known fact that soda products are a high-profit item for grocery stores, allowing them to sell other items at lower prices. So, if you feel strongly about not ingesting soda, keep in mind that if it wasn't there some basic "staples" would cost you more.

While there is no substitute for fresh produce when it comes to salads, frozen produce and even canned vegetables can sometimes have the same, or more, nutrient value as fresh produce that has lost some of its nutrient value the longer due to shelf time. So, we should add to fresh produce space the space devoted to "plain" frozen & canned vegetables and fruits.

The food industry has employed behavioral psychologists to help market and sell their products.
    So it takes education and parenting to offset this.
    Last edited by Gerry Clinchy; 09-19-2009 at 08:22 AM.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    ...and my paycheck when Messiahcare gets passed.
    You're already paying for him. Anyone who doesn't contribute, is leaching.

Whoa, you guys are gonna start thinking I'm a republican if I keep talking like that!
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    plain rice (bags & boxes); flour (bleached or unbleached), bags; oatmeal (round box); nutritious breakfast cereals, boxes; fresh vegetables, often in plastic wrappers; all fresh meat is in plastic wrapper; cheese, plastic wrappers; orange juice, boxes.

Better idea to classify the item than it's container.

It is a known fact that soda products are a high-profit item for grocery stores, allowing them to sell other items at lower prices. So, if you feel strongly about not ingesting soda, keep in mind that if it wasn't there some basic "staples" would cost you more.

While there is no substitute for fresh produce when it comes to salads, frozen produce and even canned vegetables can sometimes have the same, or more, nutrient value as fresh produce that has lost some of its nutrient value the longer due to shelf time. So, we should add to fresh produce space the space devoted to "plain" frozen & canned vegetables and fruits.

So it takes education and parenting to offset this.
    I would add that plain rice is often devoid of its nutrition once it is polished. Just like refined sugars and grains as opposed to whole grain. We remove all the nutrition because that's what bacteria like (ie shorter shelf life and increased shipping/distribution costs to the food industry) Its best for them to produce high calorie, low nutrition food base, then add sugar (HFCS), fat, and salt to appeal to our hypothalamus satiety centers! To have whole grain wheat products, some on this list may remember when each town or region had its own mill. The omega3s and other nutrients in the wheat germ hasten spoilage, therefore they had to be milled locally and sold quickly. It wouldn't sit on shipping palettes in back of WalMart trucks very well!

We are the most OVERFED, UNDERNOURISHED society on the planet. One study showed that kids recieved 80% of their entire daily fluid intake, and 40% of their daily calorie intake from soda pop alone!
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

You're already paying for him. Anyone who doesn't contribute, is leaching.

Whoa, you guys are gonna start thinking I'm a republican if I keep talking like that!
    Horrors! Be careful, man!
    ________
    Vaaapp Vaporizer

We are the most OVERFED, UNDERNOURISHED society on the planet. One study showed that kids recieved 80% of their entire daily fluid intake, and 40% of their daily calorie intake from soda pop alone!
    And most of their exercise is only with their thumbs.
    ________
    Grey's anatomy dicussion

Faublous idea! The more sugar the more tax! The more saturated fat and trans fat the more tax! I just love this.

Brilliant.

How about if a person stays with in their ideal body weight they get a tax credit?

There is alot more dangerous stuff out there than pop,candy,and processed foods and cigeretts.

Guns,cars,shopping carts,mountain climbing ,sky diving and bungy jumping, the air we breath and the water we drink,,You name it ,,its all vulgar.

Why dont we just garnish everyones wages and just allow them enough money to pay their bills. Then we will have enough money for health care,and I can eat my twinkies in peace without all this guilt.

Yu know ,one can justify that everytime I eat a pizza or a wendy burger I am actually stealing from society,,maby these actions should be criminalized.

A little alcohol is good for you by the way. We should be giving tax credits for that.

Pete

mountain climbing ,sky diving and bungy jumping
    LOL! How will the proposed health care legislation treat these self-created high risks? Try seeing what you would pay for life insurance if you tell them you have one of these hobbies.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Banned

Any chance they can increase the tax on fruit cakes by 10 times so I will never receive another one for Christmas?