The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: the 'entitlement' mentality

Americans for the most part,,especially the younger generation have lost their self reliant attitude.

Today most people would not know what to do if foods became unavailable to them for months at a time or their shelter was taken from them.
    Its obvious that today if you blow a picture tube or loose your IPOD you call uncle sam for assistance.

Because of the government taking care of people who dont need it,, it has spawned a new mind set in its citizens.

I can remember when I had nothing how those were some of the most fun times of my life. Just figuring how to get out of it and the little things you do to survive are happy memories for me. I never even had the thought of uncle sam giving me a hand out. And today I would still loath the thought.

Living in the city skews your ability to survive,,people I guess are dependant on people for everything. It affects the way you think and thus the way you vote. Which I guess is why most cities vote for people who promise handouts.

Pete

amazing....a story about foodstamps in our local Fairbanks paper...unfortunately it has nothing to do with the wasteful spending by people on food stamps....

http://www.newsminer.com/news/2009/s...e-food-stamps/
    God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

"There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    The other is as though everything is a miracle."

- Albert Einstein

Pretty good article. BUT...$50 a week for just me would be EASY. We spend 100-130 a week for me, my wife, and our 2 kids. That includes diapers and pullups, my wife's makeup and toiletries. We shop sales and use coupons. We never have any problem not being able to eat what we want. People just have to be smarter about looking for deals.
    ________
    Vapir No2 Vaporizer
    Last edited by ducknwork; 04-21-2011 at 06:41 PM.

well, I don't know what your food prices are in NC...but up here, for example

3.50 gal milk (2%)
    3.50 doz eggs
    8-9.00 two lb cheese (unless on sale)
    2.50 -3.00/lb apples, oranges
    1.00/lb bananas
    1.00/ear of corn
    2.80/lb ground beef ( I think, we have wild game)
    1.99-2.50 lb for whole chickens
    1.99 - 2.50 loaf of bread
    God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Juli H View Post
    well, I don't know what your food prices are in NC...but up here, for example

3.50 gal milk (2%) about the same
    3.50 doz eggs $1.09 to $1.29
    8-9.00 two lb cheese (unless on sale) maybe a tad lower, but not alot,
    plain old "American Cheese" slices, store brand about $3.50 for 1 lb.
    2.50 -3.00/lb apples, oranges about 1/2 your price
    1.00/lb bananas 59 cents/lb sometimes lower
    1.00/ear of corn in season, 20 to 35 cents each
    2.80/lb ground beef ( I think, we have wild game) about the same for
    fattier meat; up to $4 - $4.50 for lean
    1.99-2.50 lb for whole chickens about 1/2 that here
    1.99 - 2.50 loaf of bread the pre-priced brand names $3.99,
    store brands start around $1.69
    Weird how prices compare to here in PA ... some things are understandably higher in AK, but some are not. I've put the PA prices in blue.
    Last edited by Gerry Clinchy; 09-19-2009 at 04:17 PM.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    Pretty good article. BUT...$50 a week for just me would be EASY. We spend 100-130 a week for me, my wife, and our 2 kids. That includes diapers and pullups, my wife's makeup and toiletries. We shop sales and use coupons. We never have any problem not being able to eat what we want. People just have to be smarter about looking for deals.
    WOW, $50 a week would be luxury. When I was in Jr. College, I would have about $20 a month for groceries. Venison would make many meals. I don't know how many 25 cent Tonita's pizzas I ate one semester, but they would be breakfast, lunch and dinner. We usually got good meals on road trips in baseball if we won both games of a double header. Splitting the dh would mean taco bell, and losing both meant going hungry.

Even now, I can get two weeks worth of lunches out of a batch of venison Meat Balls and Speghitti, or smoking a brisket along with lots of corn on the cob and BBQ beans. Lunch at my work costs about $8, and I try to avoid spending hard earned $$$ in the cafeteria or eating out.
    Last edited by Terry Britton; 09-19-2009 at 04:25 PM.
    Terry Britton, P.E.

Engineers believe that if it isn't broken, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Juli H View Post
    amazing....a story about foodstamps in our local Fairbanks paper...unfortunately it has nothing to do with the wasteful spending by people on food stamps....

http://www.newsminer.com/news/2009/s...e-food-stamps/
    What the heck were these guys eating before? How much of that was eating out?
    $50 for one person. If I had to eat all the food that I could buy for $50 using my normal grocery shopping habits I would not loose weight I would gain because it would be way too much food.
    I shop on sale and use my freezer so we get variety.
    This week on sale a few examples:
    Turkey breast $.99 lb
    Ham(butt cut ) $.99 lb
    eggs $.99 doz large grade A
    boneless pork loin $1.49 lb I cut up into raost and pork chops
    Eye of Round roast beef $2.00 lb
    Frozen veggies 1lb bag $.99

LOL! forgot to note that the 40-something bachelor probably didn't use his food dollars as effectively as you did, luvmylabs. Why eat hot dogs for breakfast?! Cereal is not that expensive!
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    What the heck were these guys eating before? How much of that was eating out?
    $50 for one person. If I had to eat all the food that I could buy for $50 using my normal grocery shopping habits I would not loose weight I would gain because it would be way too much food.
    I shop on sale and use my freezer so we get variety.
    This week on sale a few examples:
    Turkey breast $.99 lb
    Ham(butt cut ) $.99 lb
    eggs $.99 doz large grade A
    boneless pork loin $1.49 lb I cut up into raost and pork chops
    Eye of Round roast beef $2.00 lb
    Frozen veggies 1lb bag $.99
    that is where you live...I will take your list to the store and give you our prices...

turkey breast is gonna be at LEAST 3.50/lb, ham maybe a little less....

Juli

- Albert Einstein

These were the sale prices for the week. I always buy meats on sale and stock the freezer.