The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: the 'entitlement' mentality

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    I've heard unsubstantiated rumors that Venango Co., Pa is nationally known for it's ease of welfare qualification and numerous other state assistance programs. We have patients from all over, and when I ask how they found work here, the answer is, "I didn't".

I have this crazy notion that adults tend to move in order to find work or advance in one's work. Not just pack up the wagon for the hell of it, or to head to greener welfare fields. Live and learn, I guess.
    I manage several apartments here in Sacramento, CA. It is amazing the number of "welfare" programs that are out there. I just had a single mom with 3 kids apply for an apartment. She had just moved here from Las Vegas. And had already contacted the different welfare programs and had guarantees for her first months rent, and security deposit. Not to mention the exact amount of SSI/AFDC that she would get (apparently CA pays more than most states). Had another young gal apply who had a student grant as well as SSI, but when asked what school she was going to, stated she hadn't applied yet. The state also has assisted living. But from my vantage point this is being badly abused. Had one young lady who was getting paid to assist her boy friend with whom she was living. Another was getting paid to assist her father. (I don't mind the concept of assisted living, but I think paying individuals to take care of family is a huge conflict of interest).

My wife is an assistant principal at an adult high school. She says it is amazing how many students come in and register for school, but once they get their id cards (needed for cal-works grants) are not heard from again.

My mother used to teach home ec. to junior high kids. Her school was in one of the poorer parts of town. One of the first eye raising things she learned was how early the young girls learned about how much they could get by having a baby and how it could be a ticket out of their homes and away from the control of their parents.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    After much searching the maximum monthly benefit in NC for 1 person is $200 per month.
    2 $367
    3 $526
    4 $668

This doesn't include WIC benefits.
    WOW! We don't spend anywhere near that much for the 4 of us. I would be eating steak and shrimp every night if I could spend that much.
    ________
    Host And Design
    Last edited by ducknwork; 04-21-2011 at 05:42 PM.

Julie,
    I'll try as best i can to take the challenge. Hubby flies home tonight and will be working from home next week so I will start in the morning and only shop based on this weeks grocery ads that came out today.
    2 people = 92.75 for a week. He would never go for this so I will have to adjust for any snacks that are already in the house. He will never notice his meals being in an experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    WOW! We don't spend anywhere near that much for the 4 of us. I would be eating steak and shrimp every night if I could spend that much.
    Yeah, new grocery ad , gulf shrimp 21-25 count is 3.99 per lb. (Lowe's).
    Shrimp is on the menu, it's cheaper than lean ground beef. The freezer will be stocked.

Shrimp! that's not fair.... LOL!

let me know how it goes for you...I would like to try doing the whole family on the foodstamp diet, but I don't think they would go for it.... LOL

Juli
    God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

"There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    The other is as though everything is a miracle."

- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Juli H View Post
    Shrimp! that's not fair.... LOL!

let me know how it goes for you...I would like to try doing the whole family on the foodstamp diet, but I don't think they would go for it.... LOL

Juli
    This may be a really easy week. Turkey on sale $.79 per lb. Hubby loves turkey.
    Chicken drumsticks $.87 per lb. Thighs $.77 per lb
    boneless chicken breast $1.88 per lb
    5 lbs potaoes = .99 with e-vic card
    apples .99 per lb
    boston butt prok roast .99lb
    ground beef 1.68 lb.
    canned veggies 5/$3 = $.60 per can
    loaf of bread store brand $.79
    milk gallon $1.99
    frozen veggies 2 lb bag for $1.88
    Last edited by luvmylabs23139; 09-23-2009 at 03:37 PM. Reason: add more deals

You'll be eating like a king!

Juli, I wish I could try the whole family on the food stamp diet too. But, with the amounts that luv posted earlier, I couldn't afford to! How is it that I work for a living and don't have as much money to spend on groceries as someone who just collects a govt check?
    ________
    STARCRAF 2 REPLAY
    Last edited by ducknwork; 04-21-2011 at 05:44 PM.

I think the same could be same for many people/families across the US...unfortunately.

Juli
    God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

"There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    The other is as though everything is a miracle."

- Albert Einstein

In some fairness to those who get food stamps, some of them won't have a big freezer to stock with this week's bargains, but most should have a fridge with some freezer capacity to save some from one week to the next.

Do they get their debit card "re-filled" weekly? or 2X month? Probably would be a bad idea to issue the $ monthly.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    In some fairness to those who get food stamps, some of them won't have a big freezer to stock with this week's bargains, but most should have a fridge with some freezer capacity to save some from one week to the next.

Do they get their debit card "re-filled" weekly? or 2X month? Probably would be a bad idea to issue the $ monthly.
    In NC it goes by the month. In a way its good because you can shop the sales better.