The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Bark collar vs E collar

Default Bark collar vs E collar

I have a 3 month old lab. We have had him since he was about 9 weeks old and he barks all the time. At night during the day, he barks all the time. If you walk aroud the corner he stops. I know that little game. I thought he would quit after a few weeks. I was wondering if it would be ok to put a bark collar on him to get some peace at the house. If I did this would it mess anything up when I start to train him with the e collar? He wears a dummy collar when we train now.

I would try to teach him the Quiet! command first. Is he getting enough exercise? Sometimes barking is boredom. I'm not saying that is what it is, he could just be a barker, or playing you or whatever, but I would make sure he was getting enough exercise, try to teach Quiet, and resort to the bark collar only if that didn't work.

Where does he live? House? Yard? How much training do you do with him? He needs to run at least a couple of times a day until he is tired out. A tired dog is a good dog is one of the truest things you will ever hear here.

I don't think it would mess anything up to use a bark collar, but if the dog is barking for some good reason it will just suppress it and it will come out in other ways.

Not good
    Last edited by Leddyman; 09-21-2009 at 08:47 AM.
    Bad Motor Scooter SH

He that tooteth not his own horn...The same shall not be tooted.

There could be 5 or 6 ninjas in this room right now.

jimboburnsy

My personal opinion is that 3 months is too early to start introducing that level of pressure, especially for something as natural as barking.

Bark suppression can be extremely difficult and it requires a lot of patience, but you can do it.

I've put bark collars on 3 month olds before. It worked very well with one, not so well with another. The one it worked on I kept it on when the dog wasn't around me. Basically, when I was at work. She got into the habit of being quiet and noise was never a problem again. The other one didn't seem to get it but he got quiet at the pro's when he was sent there at 4.5 months. This one wasn't my dog.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Leddyman View Post
    I would try to teach him the Quiet! command first. Is he getting enough exercise? Sometimes barking is boredom. I'm not saying that is what it is, he could just be a barker, or playing you or whatever, but I would make sure he was getting enough exercise, try to teach Quiet, and resort to the bark collar only if that didn't work.

Where does he live? House? Yard? How much training do you do with him? He needs to run at least a couple of times a day until he is tired out. A tired dog is a good dog is one of the truest things you will ever hear here.

I don't think it would mess anything up to use a bark collar, but if the dog is barking for some good reason it will just suppress it and it will come out in other ways.

Not good
    I agree, I have one that barks only when it's time to exercise and that's usually when I get home from work.
    Surpressing barking is tough, seeing this is the only way for the to let us know what they want, but remember it's in our time not theirs. If she's close enough to get a hand on grab her muzzle and command quiet. This will take time. Remember that if someone knocks on the door that no correction should be made, only if it's barking for no real reason. Being able to understand why their barking is where you need to start.