The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Pup won't eat

Default Pup won't eat

I picked up my pup the 8th of this month, and started her on Euk. Lamb&Rice large breed puppy with a blend of the pedigree puppy the breeder was feeding her. I gave her a little pedigree every serving just enough to get her off of that so she could be on the Euk. She ate it for the first couple of days she would pick here pick there, called my vet asked him what he thought, he said maybe she was running a slight fever didn't feel good so we took her temp came back normal, thought maybe it was just that she was unfamiliar with the new house, so on. He told me to give her some bland food so i boiled chicken and white rice and gave that to her.... she couldn't eat it fast enough. So I thought we were out of the woods and now she is back to the same old game, of alittle here alittle there. Any Suggestions?!?!?!

she will eat as much as she need in 5-10 minutes...do this 3 times a day...after said amount of time, pick up the bowl....

don't make the mistake of 'doctoring' her food to encourage her to eat...that will just make her pickiness worse...LOL

Juli
    God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

"There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    The other is as though everything is a miracle."

- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Juli H View Post
    she will eat as much as she need in 5-10 minutes...do this 3 times a day...after said amount of time, pick up the bowl....

don't make the mistake of 'doctoring' her food to encourage her to eat...that will just make her pickiness worse...LOL

Juli
    Yep, don't be too alarmed (provided the vet says it's not a health issue) until your dog goes at LEAST a full 24 hours without eating.

If you start accomodating her, she'll be training you.

Lots of dogs will skip a meal here and there.

Put the food out and give her some peace and quiet (my dog won't eat if there are a lot of exciting things going on). After 10-20 minutes remove the food and try again at the next regularly scheduled feed time if she still hasn't eaten (if she's eating...let her finish).
    Stray labs make great pets.
    Proud member of the FF society.

Gees what kind of dogs do people have, I can't pick up a bowl with out the drool machines going into over drive
    Skip a meal, are you kidding me????? LOL
    Margo Ellis

“Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life.” ~ Annie Oakley
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

In All Thy Ways Acknowledge Him And He Shall Direct Thy Paths. Proverbs 3:6

A dog won't starve itself. She will figure it out. My golden will spit a treat out to eat her food!
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    Embers Aint Misbehavin - Flirt (Corona's mini me)

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!

I had a puppy that wouldn't eat anything (except poop of other puppies). He starved himself to the point he got dehydrated and needed fluids at the vet. I put him back on the food the breeder had used and he ate that just fine.

Regrettably he did, about nine weeks after that, try something else, a mushroom. I didn't find out until he started showing symptoms, and by then it was too late.

Amy Dahl

Quote Originally Posted by afdahl View Post
    I had a puppy that wouldn't eat anything (except poop of other puppies). He starved himself to the point he got dehydrated and needed fluids at the vet. I put him back on the food the breeder had used and he ate that just fine.

Regrettably he did, about nine weeks after that, try something else, a mushroom. I didn't find out until he started showing symptoms, and by then it was too late.

Amy Dahl
    ... ..that is awful...

We often have tons of mushrooms here, and I really do not know what is good or bad. Try to pull them up but there are often so many..expecially wet conditions like this season. I worry about that happening...so sorry, Amy.

Judy

We have tons of "toad stools" here, and from the beginning, we taught our dogs that it was "bad news". Now they do not head for them. But what is interesting here, is that none of my dogs have been chow hounds. It has always been more of a concern to get them to eat. They do not get special food, but they just do not seem to care that much. That is why the "waiting for the food" methods of training do not work for excitability or other issues. They will sit and look at it till he@@ freezes over.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

I fed my pup Euk for the first 5 months, she was not a good eater and we started doctoring which was a slippery slope. She would eat but it would take a while and never eat the whole amount.

I took her to a friends house and she found the food left out for thier dog. She woofed it down and couldn't get enough. We switched brands and now my pup eats like a champ.

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

I just got my new pup last Sunday. First thing I asked was what was he being fed. Stopped at a PetSmart and picked up a bag. This dude believes in eating. LOL. I am feeding PRO PLAN Chicken & Rice puppy He has gained 2.5 pounds this week.
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com