Thread: lightening dectector

Default lightening dectector

Would anyone be able to reccomend an inexpensive "Lightening Dectector?"

Thanks, rm

jimboburnsy

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary Westling View Post
    Would anyone be able to reccomend an inexpensive "Lightening Dectector?"

Thanks, rm
    You can get a generic 9 iron at any academy or similar sporting goods store for less than $50.

half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas

I have a friend who has one of these:
    http://www.ambientweather.com/stpelide.html

and Dave & I are planning to each get one.
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

The Lady

An am radio is a good detector; listen for the static. During daytime, hearing thunder is close enough for me! You can see it miles away at night.

Save your money for more worthy causes. This house had 3 lightning rods: one installed on a chimney when it was built in 1950; another when it was expanded/rebuilt in 1984; and a state of the art one when it was updated in 2005:

All it took was one lightning strike. FYI the fire marshall even told me they're no protection if your house gets struck by lightning. This is what was left 2 days after a lightning hit:

half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas

Julie, I think she meant a detection device not a lightning rod. The one that is in the link is something you wear or carry. It is about the size of a pager and alerts when there is lightning detected in the area. It lets you know if the lightning is approaching or leaving an area and gauges how far away the strikes are.

It is meant for personal safety to get you out of a field before the storm moves in, not for grounding an actual strike, which is what I understand that lightning rods are supposed to do.
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

The Lady

Quote Originally Posted by Maggiesmaster View Post
    An am radio is a good detector; listen for the static. During daytime, hearing thunder is close enough for me! You can see it miles away at night.
    I'll second that. The stormscopes on aircraft are nothing but glorified am radio recievers with some directional capability added. You also have two very good lightening detectors that came as standard equipment, factory installed in your noggin.

Watch forcasts for approaching strom systems, and when you see or hear activity on the horizon, and its headed your way, act. Lightening detectors will alert you to everything in the area, even if it's moving away from you.

Sorry about the house pictures! Lightening rods are a double edged sword. They can actually increase the chance of a strike, but will often decrease the impact. Not always, apparently. A well-grounded VHF antenna was as good as any, and probably saved many houses.
    Last edited by dnf777; 09-22-2009 at 10:10 AM.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Banned

a detector is awesome, even though you can count and judge distance, a detector is better with frequent strikes when you can easily loose track of which thunder belongs to which strike. football refs use them to determine when to shut a game down.

as for the knucklehead who suggested a 9-iron, that just shows the naivete of some people in this group.

a 7' Loomis graphite popping rod is far better than a 9-iron....sheeeesh

jimboburnsy

Rosemary, if you're still listening after the graphite rod/9 iron digs:

You may want to check out one of these: http://www.strikealert.com/ProductInfo.htm

I have no idea about how well they work, but it would be small enough to ride in a pocket and under $100.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see someone already linked to the same thing.