The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: A'stan: More Troops Needed

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    sorry Duck, but i disagree;
    I think you missed the sarcasm. That was in reference to those saying that the CIC should makes the decisions, even though he is clearly inexperienced and unqualified in all things military.

the president doesn't have the opportunity to respond to you because you do it here, where you're insulated by this forum.-Paul
    He certainly does have the opportunity to respond! Hell, he might need help training his Portugese Water Dog! I think we should go ahead and get the Prez to join the RTF.

govt kickbacks for all of us regards,
    ________
    DIGITAL VAPORIZER
    Last edited by ducknwork; 04-21-2011 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    sorry Duck, but i disagree; i think he is leaving the stategizing to the military because they are the ones doing the killing and dying, and have the experience commanding troops and materiel that he does not have. he trusts McChrystal to do the right things. in my lifetime, there has been only 1 President who had the skill set to make battlefield decisions based on knowledge. that was Ike, and it was a long time ago.

rk, you and so many others on here are very quick to criticize anything this administration does. where are your solutions and ideas?

time and again you have suggested that you are more fit to lead the country; that you are wiser, better informed and a superior decision maker. so i asked you when you were going to come forward and lead. i think that's a fair question. where i work, if you shoot holes in a proposal or the way a project is going forward, you better have something to offer to improve it, and be prepared to roll up your sleeves and get the job done.

you said i insulted you and in that you're correct. how good a job of it i did is debateable.
    i don't think you liked it very much or you wouldn't have responded the way you did. perhaps the next time you insult the President you'll consider how you felt as you responded.
    the president doesn't have the opportunity to respond to you because you do it here, where you're insulated by this forum.-Paul
    #1---Pull up a quote where I said that.

#2---I have been insulted by professionals, it;s a solid start though!!

__________________________________________________ ____

DNF----are you the vacation police now??

While we are at it, how much vacation did Palin take??

just askin'.......
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    #1---Pull up a quote where I said that.

#2---I have been insulted by professionals, it;s a solid start though!!

__________________________________________________ ____

DNF----are you the vacation police now??

While we are at it, how much vacation did Palin take??

just askin'.......
    Nah, just keepin' things in perspective.
    Palin? I don't know, she kind of gave herself a permanent vacation when she quit, didn't she?

Apparently she wrote a 400 page book in two weeks, something most professional writers can't do. It will be out for the Christmas shopping season though. So maybe she's been working harder than ever. She sure is cute, though.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    I agree, maybe "the Obama" should talk to him:
    Technically, the President doesn't talk to a 3 star in McCrystals position. He works for a Unified Command Commander (USCENTCOM) who works for the SecDef who works for the President. So, he's got not one but two major players in his direct chain of command between him and the President.

That said, of course the President ought to speak to the General. However, it wouldn't be a particularly frequent conversation and it wouldn't take place in the absence of CENTCOM or SecDef.

Eric

road kill,

i probably couldn't find a direct quote by you to support what i said, and i'm not going to search high and low for one.

what i said is based on your incessant criticism of the man. when someone does this day in day out i interpret it as if they are saying that the subject is so incompetent that they would be the better choice.

i mean, if we were training dogs together and every day you criticized what i did , no matter what i tried, would you not be inferring that you were a superior trainer?

that's the best analogy i can come up with.

just a little respect for the man is warranted, i think...-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Nah, just keepin' things in perspective.
    Palin? I don't know, she kind of gave herself a permanent vacation when she quit, didn't she?

Apparently she wrote a 400 page book in two weeks, something most professional writers can't do. It will be out for the Christmas shopping season though. So maybe she's been working harder than ever. She sure is cute, though.
    And she cleans game!!
    Stan b & Elvis

I just came across a Page 15 article in our local paper. Byline is Tribune Newspapers. Says "Tribune Exclusive".

The CIA is in the midst of a major buildup in A'stan, part of a broad intelligence "surge" that will make the agency's station there among the largest in CIA history, according to U.S. officials.
    Precise numbers are classified, but one U.S. official said the CIA already has nearly 700 employees in A'stan
    ... parallels the U.S. miltary expansion, and it comes as the nation's spy services are under pressure from Army Gen. Stanley McChrystal to improve intelligence on the Taliban and find ways to reverse a series of unsettling trends.
    The "unsettling trends are defined
    twofold increase in the number of roadside bombs, a growing sophistication in the kinds of assaults aimed at coalition troops and evidence that a Taliban group has developed an assembly line-like approach to the recruitment and grooming of suicide bombers, who then are sometimes assigned to other organizations.
    The push also comes as the Obama administration is under pressure to show progress in A'stan, calculating it has only unti next summer before public support for the war effort collapses
    The deployments come amid fresh warnings from U.S. spy services that the insurgency in A'stan has continued to gain territory and strength.
    "The Taliban is at its most capable level since 2001, when it was ejected from the country," said a Defense Department official who has access to classified intelligence estimates.
    McChrystal is expected to expand the use of teams that combine CIA operatives with soldiers from U.S. special operations forces.

The agency's role is likely to shift under McChrystal, who has placed a greater emphasis on protecting the Afghan population and rooting out government graft.

U.S. spy agencies have already stepped up their scrutiny of corruption in Kabul. A recent Senate report described a new wire-tapping system activated last year that is aimed at tracing ties between government officials and drug kingpins in the country.

Officials said allegations of election fraud in the recent presidential race in A'stan were a significant setback, aiding the Taliban's efforts to portray the U.S. backed government as illegitimate.
    Recalling the campaign debate on the A'stan issue, I remember O saying that A'stan was key. However, he also stated that the surge that was effective in Iraq would not work in A'stan. I remember thinking at the time, that the fact that tactics might differ in each country, that did not necessarily mean that a "surge" in troop strength would not be needed. In retrospect, I get the distinct impression that he might have expected the COIN strategy would be needed in A'stan (but surely it is important in Iraq as well), but had no clue that it can take a lot troops and time to accomplish a successful COIN strategy.

We, and O, are quite naive to think that we can have an impact on hundreds of years of cultural background in a matter of 3, 4 or 10 years. This might be especially true in an environment where communications of world events are highly limited, except for what the Taliban relay to the general populace.

It would appear that McChrystal has already taken some actions to establish his COIN strategy. This man has to have great fortitude for his job. He is close enough to see the results of his decisions in terms of the loss of life of his troops. While O & the DC "thinkers" hash this out in the comfort of the Oval office, McC lives with the reality of life and death around him.

With the Taliban practice of hiding behind civilians, McC is likely going to make some heart-wrenching decisions that may involve compromising safety of his troops in some situations in order to protect civilians. I would not want to be the one who has to make those decisions. And he gets paid how much compared to the guys on Capitol Hill?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.