The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So much for change......

Default So much for change......

This kind of crap makes me want to strangle someone.

"Republicans had their Bridge to Nowhere in Alaska, and now Democrats seem intent on wrapping themselves firmly around Congressman Jack Murtha's Airport for No One in Johnstown, Pennsylvania. So much for changing the culture of spending in Washington.

Last week 53 Senators—including 51 Democrats—voted down an amendment by Republican Jim DeMint of South Carolina to stop spending federal funds on the airport that Mr. Murtha built with more than $150 million in federal subsidies and earmarks over the last two decades. (The Republicans voting against Mr. DeMint were Kit Bond and George Voinovich, neither of whom is running for re-election.) The airport has three daily commercial flights, and those are to Washington, D.C. The federal subsidies average $100 for each of the fewer than 30 passengers who use the airport each day, which means it would be cheaper for taxpayers to buy a train ticket for Mr. Murtha and other Washington D.C.-bound travelers than to keep the airport open.

Pennsylvania's two Senators, Democrats Arlen Specter and Robert P. Casey, Jr., denounced the DeMint amendment because it singled out one airport. Of course, so do Mr. Murtha's earmarks. The Senators also argued that airport funding decisions should be left to the Federal Aviation Administration. But everyone knows that Mr. Murtha's clout at the House Appropriations Committee trumps the FAA. Earlier this year the airport received $800,000 in federal stimulus money, which has been spent in part to pave a second runway, even though the first one is barely in use. Mr. Murtha also secured $8.5 million for a new radar system that's never been used.

Mr. DeMint pleaded with his colleagues that "if we can't cut funding for this project, we can't cut anything in Washington" and that the Senate will have declared "there's no such thing as waste, there's no such thing as fraud and corruption." He lost, but voters keeping score can add it to their mental tally of why we have a $1.6 trillion deficit."
    Train the dog, the ribbons will take care of themselves.

I think John Murtha is the fellow who is also under investigation (indicted?) for corruption charges.

If they wanted to subsidize an airport, Lehigh Valley could use the money This is a great smaller airport that has had trouble keeping smaller carriers. And it's location makes it a more viable population center than Johnstown. You can fly almost anywhere from there, but it usually costs more than from Newark or Philadelphia. By car, or limo, Newark is an hour away; Phila about 1-1/2 hrs.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

I hope the voters retire Murtha in 2010 and many more like him.
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!

I think Murtha was exposed to Agent orange when he was in the Marines...he has got to be one of the more corrupt politicians in the country...he has 534 other members in that group...TERM LIMITS.make sense...
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Unfortunately, the final budget bills that passed following inauguration (based on budget submissions last fall) included massive earmarks of which the majority went to Republican districts based on the balance of power when the bills were introduced. When Republicans introduce a bill that eliminates equal amounts of earmark funding from both Republican and Democrat districts, they will have some credibility. Until then it's just gamesmanship for the talk shows and blogs.

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    Unfortunately, the final budget bills that passed following inauguration (based on budget submissions last fall) included massive earmarks of which the majority went to Republican districts based on the balance of power when the bills were introduced. When Republicans introduce a bill that eliminates equal amounts of earmark funding from both Republican and Democrat districts, they will have some credibility. Until then it's just gamesmanship for the talk shows and blogs.
    If I remember correctly the stimulus bill, after inauguration, also had its fair share of pork ... and there had been a promise to use the line item veto on that. No matter whose pork it is, it smells just as bad!
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    If I remember correctly the stimulus bill, after inauguration, also had its fair share of pork ... and there had been a promise to use the line item veto on that. No matter whose pork it is, it smells just as bad!
    There is no line item veto at the Federal level.

God help us ALL if ANY president gets Line-item-veto. That would be a power-grab like none we've ever seen.....and that the founding fathers never wanted us to see.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

I stand corrected on the term ... but did not O say that he would not approve pork? And the pork was a big objection to many items in that stimulus bill, as I recall.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    I stand corrected on the term ... but did not O say that he would not approve pork? And the pork was a big objection to many items in that stimulus bill, as I recall.
    Hey, where's UB?? I call H1N1 the "swine flu" and get called out for it! Now you're calling wasteful, liberal gov't spending "pork" and there's silence. Now I see the media slant!
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!