The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Food stamp challenge Q

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    HAHAHA! Now THAT is a plan!
    I grew up in one of those welfare neighborhoods, and that's how it works. Every month on about the 10th (sometimes before depending on how hard they were partying) the welfare people would run out of beer money, and go door to door trying to sell their food stamps or steaks they had bought with the food stamps. They considered the market value of a food stamp to be 50 cents on the dollar.
    Last edited by Hoosier; 09-23-2009 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Juli H View Post
    Actually I think you should take the extra food to a food bank...

Juli
    Good idea, then they could sell all their food stamps and just get their food from the food bank.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    Still trying to figure out how to spend $91.75 for 2 people for one week without throwing a ton of food in the trash or gaining a ton of weight.
    You need to "bank" the amount you don't spend.

At some point, you will run out of sugar, salt, flour etc which are normal staples that most people only buy every so often.

I would say, do your normal shopping and then if you have "left-over money" bank it to the next week.

I think the experiment needs to be tried for a minimum of 1 month.

Also, it depends on who you have living in your house.

I have one 18 year old young man who eats a TON of food. I've kept track of what I spend on a monthly basis for years. I normally (for two people) spend about $400. But then, I'm somewhat thrifty not exceptionally thrifty.

I am going to do the experiment. I think it would be cool to have a group of us do it all on the same time frame.

Listing what we bought, for how much and then what we made for meals.

It would give us a chance to exchange some recipes and it might be a heck of a lot of fun.

Anyone really want to make this a "group challenge"??

WRL

I started this AM....

two breakfast burritos, with cheese (2 10 inch tortillas, two eggs, one (actual) serving of cheddar cheese), glass of milk.... bean and cheese burrito (same size tortilla) and a carrot for lunch, homemade (sorta) chili for dinner, glass of milk....
    I am in a unique situation, as I have one store with high prices to shop from...I imagine of most people that try this challenge, I will actually have no food left, or very little... (ie, not the variety..not enough veggies and fruits, which are HIGHLY expensive here)....$48 for the week's groceries....
    I can get donuts for 30 cents a piece after 4 pm though! LOL
    I encourage as many people to do this as possible - keep your reciepts and meal plan and send the info along to your reps.....

Juli
    God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

"There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    The other is as though everything is a miracle."

- Albert Einstein

LOL! I have to chuckle, Juli. Does living in the coldest part of Alaska make you especially hungry for Mexican food?

Beans & rice BTW (notwithstanding Dave' mention of the possible lack of nutrients in white rice) does provide the total array of amino acids (protein) that you would get from meat. So, put meatless chili over rice, and you don't need the meat. You could use brown rice, but that's usually more expensive than white.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Juli H View Post
    I started this AM....

two breakfast burritos, with cheese (2 10 inch tortillas, two eggs, one (actual) serving of cheddar cheese), glass of milk.... bean and cheese burrito (same size tortilla) and a carrot for lunch, homemade (sorta) chili for dinner, glass of milk....
    I am in a unique situation, as I have one store with high prices to shop from...I imagine of most people that try this challenge, I will actually have no food left, or very little... (ie, not the variety..not enough veggies and fruits, which are HIGHLY expensive here)....$48 for the week's groceries....
    I can get donuts for 30 cents a piece after 4 pm though! LOL
    I encourage as many people to do this as possible - keep your reciepts and meal plan and send the info along to your reps.....

Juli
    Yeah I gotta have some bacon in my breakfast burritos.

I bought a bunch of meat last week that was cheap so I'll have to figure that in.

Not much of a milk drinker but I drink a ton of ice tea (and its cheaper ).

At least its not as bad as when I was in Cordova years ago. Twenty years ago a gallon of milk was just under $6.

WRL

Gee, this is so hard, NOT!
    Hubby's ice cream, Breyers is on sale this week. 1 gallon for $2.61

We normally get groceries on Thursday night. I will post how much we spend. Should I include diapers, wipes, pull ups etc in the total?
    ________
    Extreme vaporizer review
    Last edited by ducknwork; 04-21-2011 at 05:44 PM.

No diapers or wipes allowed with food stamp money. Sorry, if you decide to eat free food you are not allowed to wipe.

Terri

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    We normally get groceries on Thursday night. I will post how much we spend. Should I include diapers, wipes, pull ups etc in the total?
    Yep. Unless welfare folks get more for formula and diapers.

WRL