The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Food stamp challenge Q

Either way, we will be WAY below the allowed amount of $167 for 4 people...I'll even get a mountain dew and some chicken from the deli to snack on while we shop.
    ________
    HALF-BAKED
    Last edited by ducknwork; 04-21-2011 at 05:44 PM.

I do the grocery shopping for us and normally spend between 50-80 dollars a week, some weeks much less. I do shop the sales and save coupons and I consider myself pretty frugal. There's always plenty for two and that includes significant other who thinks the 5 major food groups are fat, salt, sugar, alcohol and nictotine (he buys his own beer and cigs). Oh and since I'm a real estate agent and he's a contractor our income levels the past 18 mos. would qualify us for food stamps and section 8 but since we're self employed we just make do. We started a nice garden but the rabbits decimated it this year so we spent more than usual on veggies this summer, though we get a lot of stuff from neighbors who are more diligent gardeners than we are.

Yesterday I had a customer come through the checkout line with a cart full of groceries...$256 and change, to be exact. Of the entire cart of groceries there was $20 worth of food that I would consider healthy - 10 lb potatoes, spaghetti sauce, and 3 lb of lean burger, and package of spaghetti noodles....The remaining food was (what I can remember) - Case of Pepsi, 5 bags chips (@$5/bag) candy, ice cream, frozen pizza, hot pockets (or something like that), single serving drinks (8 or so of them), and other junk.

It was hard to say 'Have a good day.' with a smile on my face, but I somehow managed.

Juli
    God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

"There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    The other is as though everything is a miracle."

- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    We normally get groceries on Thursday night. I will post how much we spend. Should I include diapers, wipes, pull ups etc in the total?
    NO, as they are not eligable for food stamps.

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    Either way, we will be WAY below the allowed amount of $167 for 4 people...I'll even get a mountain dew and some chicken from the deli to snack on while we shop.
    Back out the mountain dew. If I remember correctly soda is not a food stamp item. I worked in a grocery store in college back when food dtamps were actually stamps.
    Hey technically you could back out any items that would qualify for WIC as
    that is an additional entilement that someone with kids under the age of 6 would be receiving if they were getting the full foodstamp benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    Back out the mountain dew. If I remember correctly soda is not a food stamp item.
    perhaps where you live, but up here, soda or even power drinks are totally legal for purchase with food stamps....

Juli
    God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

"There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    The other is as though everything is a miracle."

- Albert Einstein

I think I may just scan the receipts and post pictures as some of you may be interested in the item's prices. It won't make you too jealous, will it Juli?
    ________
    Magic flight
    Last edited by ducknwork; 04-21-2011 at 05:45 PM.

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

Coming from someone who actually was using food stamps (and not proud of it) as a single mom going to college, I bought a lot of canned goods and meat in bulk when on sale, along with the huge bags of frozen veggies with any "left over" food stamps. I also saved around $400 worth for the end of the year for Christmas presents. Yes, Christmas presents. I would make fruit, nut, cheese, and salami/ham baskets for my mom and for the gift exchange. Only way that I could "afford" to give anything to them for Christmas. I also baked cookies and mini muffins for the holidays.
    Diapers, shampoo, toliet paper, deodorant, razors, etc.. are not allowed for purchase with food stamps. This is where I spent the whooping $50 a month child support (when he decided to pay). I paid the rent, utilities, gas, insurance, etc... with my income from working two part-time jobs and going to school. All I really wanted was help with health insurance for my daughter so that I knew in case of an emergency that she would be taken care of.
    Since I knew that I would not be on food stamps for the long term like some folks are, I did bank a lot of non-perishable food and kept back food stamps for after I was no longer getting them. It helped out a lot when I did graduate and wasn't making a whole lot yet with my degree.
    Interesting to see that I was able to raise a daughter on just $7000 a year!
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

So you were one of the people using them responsibly and correctly. I know that the majority of the people that I see using them are not doing the same thing you did...
    ________
    Lamborghini concept s history
    Last edited by ducknwork; 04-21-2011 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Juli H View Post
    perhaps where you live, but up here, soda or even power drinks are totally legal for purchase with food stamps....

Juli
    That was more than 20 years ago in CT. I could be wrong, my memory is kinda fuzzy on the details.