The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Food stamp challenge Q

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    But you have to have a grilled cheese with it...
    You sound like hubby!
    OK I worked it out using the expenisive bread but bought at the bread store, as we normally do.
    Arnold country white $1.39 loaf =16 slices, I counted them.
    .10 per slice.
    Using my Kraft singles bought on sale 3 pk for $5 /16 slices = $.10 slice
    bread is large slices so you need 2 slices of cheese.
    Grilled cheese is $.40
    This is $.50 per lunch so now we are at $3.50 for a weeks worth of lunches.

After reading through this thread I have come to a conclusion...We need to send you guys to washington and let you balance our federal budget! You all rock!

My son left for college this year. My daughter just "sleeps" here so we have saved a bunch of money on goceries. My wife and I went shopping tonight and we spent 189.89 on food. We planned our menu and have food for two weeks, Breakfast, lunch and dinners included.

Martin
    "A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still!" Les Brown

Poor is an attitude, broke is a temporary situation!

GO HOGS!

today is my last day on the 'food stamp challenge'...I will be glad to go to the fridge and eat a little bit more variety, but I certainly never lacked for food to eat. today I will have a fried egg with hash browns from my last potato, a tuna fish sandwhich and carrots, and my last serving of hamburger stew with a slice of bread for dinner...I really missed out on more fresh fruit though....

Juli
    God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

"There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    The other is as though everything is a miracle."

- Albert Einstein

Well... I have to confess I blew my budget big time last week. My normal spending routine easily allows 2 of us to eat well for under $80/week although some weeks I do spend more especially if there's a good meat sale. I can also truthfully add that since we both like to cook and like our own cooking better than everyplace we can afford to eat, we rarely ever eat out, maybe one or two dinners a year and almost never lunch.

So anyway my budget buster was a visit to Trader Joe's last week. I had to drive to D.C. and stopped there on the way home and spent $125 on stuff I can't buy in the redneckville grocery stores where I live. Plus Trader Joe's really does have great prices on impossible or hard to find foods like produce, cheeses, good coffee, whole grains and nuts, etc. and a great variety and great prices on frozen fish. Come to think of it a lot of what we (and others) waste our money on is prepared foods: sliced, wrapped or grated cheeses, washed, cleaned & picked vegetables, deboned, trimmed meats, etc.

I'm running way UNDER budget with one day to go. I have packages of meat unused in the freezer plus frozen veggies. I also have extra meals of meatballs and homemade sauce frozen so it won't go bad. A pot of turkey rice soup is cooking away on the stove. HUbby is in heaven because he considers most of this stuff a treat, he's already asking when the soup will be done.
    I need to quit playing this game because hubby is getting way to spoiled with all of this home cooking!!!

One of my clients is an organization that helps families that have been homeless or are in crisis. They have a number of concrete assistance programs but also work hard to assist clients in developing the skills needed to stabilize their lives and get themselves out of poverty. I mentioned this thread to them. They were very impressed. They currently have classes on shopping and cooking to assist families in learning how to buy and prepare nutritious family meals within a tight budget. One of them is planning an article on that part of their program to include on their web site. Assuming it happens, I will post a link.

See! Every now and then moaning and bellyaching WILL get something done...
    ________
    List Of Penny Stocks
    Last edited by ducknwork; 04-21-2011 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    Ramen is like 10 cents at Walmart. That's 70 cents for a week's worth of lunches.

Add a couple tube steaks to that Ramen lunch and you have a dinner fit for a financially embarressed king.
    cave canem...beware of the dog
    Richard Halstead (halst001 at yahoo.com)

http://www.browndogmafia.com/finalists.html

I never did get around to adding up the receipts, but I think it went like this:

$145 at WalMart
    $11 at Piggly Wiggly
    $20 at Harris Teeter

Out of that $145 at WalMart, about $60 was stuff for my son's birthday. I did not subtract diapers, makeup, toiletries, air filter etc. So, our total for the week (for 4) was $111 ish. I haven't been hungry this week - at all. I did have to go to the convenience store and pick up another gallon of milk last night for 3.56. Daggone kids drink that stuff like it's going out of style...2.5 gallons in less than a week!
    ________
    latin girl Webcams
    Last edited by ducknwork; 04-21-2011 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    I never did get around to adding up the receipts, but I think it went like this:

$145 at WalMart
    $11 at Piggly Wiggly
    $20 at Harris Teeter

Out of that $145 at WalMart, about $60 was stuff for my son's birthday. I did not subtract diapers, makeup, toiletries, air filter etc. So, our total for the week (for 4) was $111 ish. I haven't been hungry this week - at all. I did have to go to the convenience store and pick up another gallon of milk last night for 3.56. Daggone kids drink that stuff like it's going out of style...2.5 gallons in less than a week!
    Geez, you're good ... even with the party and extras you still came in under the $200 for a family of 4.

Truthfully, if we're going to do food stamps, then I think they should allow for the differences in food costs. The people in AK really DO have higher prices on food than other places (at least from the prices posted here). Not to mention their heating costs might be just a tad higher than NC

Surprised nobody mentioned popcorn for a "treat". Cheap & healthier substitute for chips. And fun for the dogs, too
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.