The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fairness in judging

Default Fairness in judging

Let me preface this post by saying:
    1. I'm not "fishing"
    2. I'm new to the retriever game, having only attended 1 HT, have not entered any yet
    3. I don't have an axe to grind with anybody- I'm just asking

Ok. I was sitting at work this morning, thinking about FT's, then National FT's. And I began to wonder if the judges in the retriever game ever have some of the trouble that referees, umpires, and judges have in other sports with the subjectivity of the sport. In football, there's instant replay for when the coach doesn't like the ref's call. I've heard it said that in the NBA a foul may or may not be called, depending on who the player is. In retriever events, I can only guess that there's a fair amount of judgment calls that have to be made in who gets called back and who does not. I imagine there are plenty of whiners in the sport as well, who are never satisfied unless a call goes their way.

So what do you think? Would most people consider the judges of our sport as being tremendously fair? Has there ever been a judge that "everybody knew" gave preferential treatment to his/her favorite handler/dog?

Now, I know I run the risk of getting flamed for asking such a question, but I assure you that I'm not trying to stir any pots. I am genuinely curious as to what the prevailing opinion is. I have a lot of respect for people that have taken the time to go to judging seminars, etc., so that newbies like me will have events to go to!

EM
    El Matavenados

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by El Matavenados View Post
    Let me preface this post by saying:
    1. I'm not "fishing"
    2. I'm new to the retriever game, having only attended 1 HT, have not entered any yet
    3. I don't have an axe to grind with anybody- I'm just asking

Ok. I was sitting at work this morning, thinking about FT's, then National FT's. And I began to wonder if the judges in the retriever game ever have some of the trouble that referees, umpires, and judges have in other sports with the subjectivity of the sport. In football, there's instant replay for when the coach doesn't like the ref's call. I've heard it said that in the NBA a foul may or may not be called, depending on who the player is. In retriever events, I can only guess that there's a fair amount of judgment calls that have to be made in who gets called back and who does not. I imagine there are plenty of whiners in the sport as well, who are never satisfied unless a call goes their way.

So what do you think? Would most people consider the judges of our sport as being tremendously fair? Has there ever been a judge that "everybody knew" gave preferential treatment to his/her favorite handler/dog?

Now, I know I run the risk of getting flamed for asking such a question, but I assure you that I'm not trying to stir any pots. I am genuinely curious as to what the prevailing opinion is. I have a lot of respect for people that have taken the time to go to judging seminars, etc., so that newbies like me will have events to go to!

EM
    you really are new here and new to the game, aren't you?

Eastern Shore of Maryland http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com

Regarding hunt test judges, I sincerely believe that the majority of judges are fair. Yes, they may be pulling for a certain dog or handler, but I do not believe that the MAJORITY of judges let that influence their judgement.
    Vicky
    RTF Moderator
    http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com/Remembrance.html "You'll Cry"

Those who fail in any competitive venue tend to be the ones who were cheated. Just ask them. The successful rarely complain.
    Darrin Greene

I judge the dog and not the handler. When I go back and look at my sheets and remarks I really don't think about or know in most cases who handled the dog. If the dog passes the test then the Handler will get the ribbon. If your dog did not do the work I would fail you if you were my best friend just as quick as I would fail you if I have never met you. I am rooting for all the dogs to do the work. I am sure there may be a few judges that might make exceptions, but I know I have never judged with any and besides it takes two judges to pass a dog.

Banned

i personally dont care and never really worry about who is judging any event i am going to be running in. however, in tailgate talk around a test i do hear grumblings from a pretty good number of people who refuse to run this test or that test because they dont like the judge(s) that are assigned. most of it is unwarranted, especially when i hear someone diss a judge that i personally know and know to be very fair. usually its because they were failed legitimately and refuse to accept that - the old "only had 2 whistles and no refusals" that they remember but actually had 8 whistles and 3 refusals.

Would most people consider the judges of our sport as being tremendously fair?

Yes. I think most of the judges are without a doubt fair.

Has there ever been a judge that "everybody knew" gave preferential treatment to his/her favorite handler/dog?

I am sure there has been. Don't know any personally. When I judge, I pull for all the dogs. I want to see good dog work. As a hunt test judge, it makes my job easy. As a FT judge, it makes me have to think and pay close attention to pick a winner.

I'm still new in the game as a participant, but I've yet to see a test or judge who wasn't fair. I've seen some tests (JH & SH) that were "you've got to be kidding me" difficult, but shouldn't be beyond the level of the canine participants (I learned the hard way where my training was lax) and I've seen some tests that were "you've got to be kidding me" easy (really short water mark with 3 decoys well out of the way of the path to the bird).

But every judge has been fair.....

I can't say I have really seen any unfair judges. There are judges I don't run under simply because they are unpleasant. As competitive as dog sports are, they are still suppose to be enjoyable and I won't waste my time on the weekends with miserable people.

Regards
    Dawn
    mostlygold
    Terrill's Mr Butch CDX TT; Terrill's Adalay CD TD; Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HR WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

I'm new to the game of hunt test. We went to four and passed four. So the first test we went to we had to stay in a hotel, with the judge assigned the room below us. My puppy was up all night walking around and jumping off the bed.
    The judge told me the next morning - so you were above me and your puppy kept me awake all night. I was sure she was going to fail us, but she didn't. I did learn a lesson- when staying at a hotel with a dog get a first floor room because you can only push your luck so many times.

Terri