The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Obama's UN Speech

Default Obama's UN Speech

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/24/us...%202009&st=cse

This is the text of the speech. I'm kind of surprised that there hasn't been more discussion of this. I didn't hear the speech, but have gotten snips on the radio in the car. That made me curious to see the whole thing in context.

At the beginning of the speech: (bold emphasis I added)

On my first day in office, I prohibited -- without exception or equivocation -- the use of torture by the United States of America. (Applause.) I ordered the prison at Guantanamo Bay closed, and we are doing the hard work of forging a framework to combat extremism within the rule of law. Every nation must know: America will live its values, and we will lead by example.
    We have set a clear and focused goal: to work with all members of this body to disrupt, dismantle, and defeat al Qaeda and its extremist allies -- a network that has killed thousands of people of many faiths and nations, and that plotted to blow up this very building.
    In Iraq, we are responsibly ending a war. We have removed American combat brigades from Iraqi cities, and set a deadline of next August to remove all our combat brigades from Iraqi territory. And I have made clear that we will help Iraqis transition to full responsibility for their future, and keep our commitment to remove all American troops by the end of 2011.
    The NY Times server is having problems giving me the individual pages, so I can use the quotes from there.

The thing I found a bit disturbing ... he states at the outset that the US is prohibiting torture, because it will "live its values." Later he is very strident about Israel's continuing settlement which draws a lot of applause. When he says America will ask the Palestinians to stop inciting the Israelis, there is no applause. He talks of America assuring that there shall be a Palestinian state. Commentary varied from O's statements being tantamount to "putting Israel on the chopping block" to "throwing Israel under the bus."

Has Palestinian leadership taken a stand on not endorsing terrorism, i.e. sacrificing innocent lives to make their political impact? I was under the impression that there was no change there. Does Israel endorse terrorism as a legitimate way to protect itself? While they are surely not above assassinations of leaders, I never got the sense that they endorsed operations for inflicting civilian casualties simply to "make a point". If I've got this wrong, I'm sure there are those who can articulate in what ways.

So, my question becomes if we are to "live our values", how do we reconcile that with Palestinian leadership views that endorse terrorism? Presumably, our values that would prohibit any type of maltreatment of prisoners, would be values that would preclude the endorsement of terrorism as a means of political change.

The fact that Khadafi says such nice things about O, wishing he could remain Pres forever. If I were in O's shoes, I'd feel uneasy that someone capable of such dastardly conduct would like me so much.

I apologize for not being able to set this up through a logical progression of the speech quotes ... can't get the NY Times server to cooperate.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

He needs to keep apologizing on the world stage for being from the United States. He needs to continue to let the world know, that in his view, the United States is guilty of all sorts of the most heinous deeds the world has ever seen. He needs to continue to paint the most benign historical events as outrageous. I expect a good next direction for him would be to apologize for our participation in WW2.

Also, I am hoping he continues to insult our allies and those that have shown our nation friendship for decades and continue to dismiss insults by those that hate us. Never standing up for his nation shows grit. It should be a continued course of action.

He will be remembered fondly by the people of the United States.
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I have been to a few county fairs and one or two goat ropings but I cannot for the life of me figure out this guys strategy, if he even has one. If I had to come up with something "Peace through capitulation and apology"
    would be pretty close.
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

I'm sure the western world is impressed wif how clubby he's gotten with the Libyan thug Qaddafi. Maybe he can buddy up to a few more heinous murderers and tin pot dictators and fund even more UN boondoggles.

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

He sold two allies, the Czechs and Poles down the river over the missle defense shield and is likely going to turn his back on Israel, another ally, if they try to prevent the Iranians from getting nukes(something he needs the cojones to stop) instead of trying to stop the Isrealis. He is a eunuch.
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!

IMHO BHO is trying to play both sides, except there is no middle. its a dangerous stance and game because when it hits the fan the countries you made mad by siding with their lifelong enemies will not come to help ( Israel)...Israel is well funded, well armed, and they have a strong leader in Netanyahu , who will not tolerate any crap from the little Iranian dictator, they wont wait for the US to give them permission for anything
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

I can't imagine Israel waiting much longer before they act against an Iranian threat that grows bigger by the minute. Israel has been an American ally forever but with this new administration's ties to everything muslim I wonder how much support we would offer Israel if she decides to strike Iran.

I thought Israel would attack before now. I don't see how they can wait much longer and then we'll get that $300 oil our Dear Leader wants anyway and what's left of our economy will immediately be flushed down the drain as we all ride bicycles and burn old furniture in the fireplace to heat our homes.

Bon-well said. Israel won't wait for the US to give permission....

NOR SHOULD THEY.

Nothing like leaving our allies out to dry.

It gets worse each day with this administration.

Aha! I found the text of the speech on YahooNews, posted by BBC.

O sort of lowered the boom on Iran in Pittsburgh for concealing its uranium enrichment plant. From our local paper today:

PITTSBURGH – Backed by other world powers, President Barack Obama declared Friday that Iran is speeding down a path to confrontation and demanded that Tehran quickly "come clean" on all nuclear efforts and open a newly revealed secret site for close international inspection. He said he would not rule out military action if the Iranians refuse.
    Intelligence has been tracking the building for the plant for quite a while (a couple of years? according to another online media source). He gave a hint of this in the speech to the Genl Assembly

But if the governments of Iran and North Korea choose to ignore international standards; if they put the pursuit of nuclear weapons ahead of regional stability and the security and opportunity of their own people; if they are oblivious to the dangers of escalating nuclear arms races in both East Asia and the Middle East - then they must be held accountable.

The world must stand together to demonstrate that international law is not an empty promise, and that treaties will be enforced. We must insist that the future does not belong to fear.
    In pursuit of peace, he says

That effort must begin with an unshakeable determination that the murder of innocent men, women and children will never be tolerated. On this, no one can be - there can be no dispute.
    In confronting them, America will forge lasting partnerships to target terrorists, share intelligence, and co-ordinate law enforcement and protect our people. We will permit no safe haven for al-Qaeda to launch attacks from Afghanistan or any other nation.
    On the Israeli/Palestinian issue:

I will also continue to seek a just and lasting peace between Israel, Palestine, and the Arab world. We will continue to work on that issue.
    Palestinians have strengthened their efforts on security. Israelis have facilitated greater freedom of movement for the Palestinians. As a result of these efforts on both sides, the economy in the West Bank has begun to grow.

But more progress is needed. We continue to call on Palestinians to end incitement against Israel, and we continue to emphasise that America does not accept the legitimacy of continued Israeli settlements.
    And the goal is clear: two states living side-by-side in peace and security - a Jewish state of Israel, with true security for all Israelis; and a viable, independent Palestinian state with contiguous territory that ends the occupation that began in 1967, and realises the potential of the Palestinian people.
    The United States does Israel no favours when we fail to couple an unwavering commitment to its security with an insistence that Israel respect the legitimate claims and rights of the Palestinians.

And - and nations within this body do the Palestinians no favours when they choose vitriolic attacks against Israel over constructive willingness to recognise Israel's legitimacy and its right to exist in peace and security.
    On climate change:

And that is why the days when America dragged its feet on this issue are over.

We will move forward with investments to transform our energy economy, while providing incentives to make clean energy the profitable kind of energy.
    But responsibility does not end there. While we must acknowledge the need for differentiated responses, any effort to curb carbon emissions must include the fast-growing carbon emitters who can do more to reduce their air pollution without inhibiting growth.

And any effort that fails to help the poorest nations both adapt to the problems that climate change have already wrought and help them travel a path of clean development simply will not work.
    On human rights & democracy"

Among those rights is the freedom to speak your mind and worship as you please; the promise of equality of the races, and the opportunity for women and girls to pursue their own potential; the ability of citizens to have a say in how you are governed, and to have confidence in the administration of justice.

For just as no nation should be forced to accept the tyranny of another nation, no individual should be forced to accept the tyranny of their own people.

As an African American, I will never forget that I would not be here today without the steady pursuit of a more perfect union in my country. And that guides my belief that no matter how dark the day may seem, transformative change can be forged by those who choose to side with justice.
    The United Nations can either be a place where we bicker about outdated grievances, or forge common ground; a place where we focus on what drives us apart, or what brings us together; a place where we indulge tyranny, or a source of moral authority.
    There are some very good things in the speech. OTOH, my disappointment, thus far, has been that O is much better on paper & on the podium than when he actually gets to the details of making decisions and really "leading".
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.