The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When Did It Become The Government Is The Problem?

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Yes, social security is such a terrible thing! My grandfather, who worked 43 years in the coal mine can now live comfortably in retirement...
    comfortably?
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    comfortably?
    Yes, along with his union derived health care benefits and small pension, he and my grandmother are meeting their 90s very comfortably, by their depression-era standards! They're the greatest generation this country has seen.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Well, in your original post you wrote:

Yes, social security is such a terrible thing! My grandfather, who worked 43 years in the coal mine can now live comfortably in retirement. Damn liberal!
    I asked comfortably which was specific to the social security allowing him to live comfortably?

Yes, along with his union derived health care benefits and small pension, he and my grandmother are meeting their 90s very comfortably, by their depression-era standards! They're the greatest generation this country has seen.
    You said yes and listed sources of income and benefits in addition to social security allow him to live comfortably. Not really the same thing now is it?

This appears to be a habit of yours bring in ancillary points that are rarely the ones being argued.

BTW, I never questioned the greatest generation. I believe they are as well.

BTW2, I notice you use "depression-era standards" as a measure. Is that a standard that our nation should use when determining largess? How is that different from today?
    Last edited by subroc; 10-04-2009 at 05:33 AM.
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    Well, in your original post you wrote:

I asked comfortably which was specific to the social security allowing him to live comfortably?

You said yes and listed sources of income and benefits in addition to social security allow him to live comfortably. Not really the same thing now is it?

This appears to be a habit of yours bring in ancillary points that are rarely the ones being argued.

BTW, I never questioned the greatest generation. I believe they are as well.

BTW2, I notice you use "depression-era standards" as a measure. Is that a standard that our nation should use when determining largess? How is that different from today?
    None of his benefits alone would provide enough to live on comfortably. Together, they are very content and happy. I'm sure they could get by on pension and healthcare, but the SS adds a little so they can be a little more comfortable, and not worry as much about money, like they did all their working lives. If that's so bad, we'll just have to disagree. Of all the gov't hands I have in my pockets each pay cycle, SS is the one I mind the LEAST.

My point of using "depression era standards" was to emphasize that they live in the same 2-bedroom home they rent-to-owned in the 40s, that needs some work done, have a Ford taurus, can pay their bills, and have enough left over to send all the kids/grandkids cards with a Grant in them....not complaining because they don't live like the generic retired couples often highlighted in trading firm's advertisements in their beach-homes, or flying gliders for fun. No, they live a pretty simple life, and are happy. If you spend time talking with those of the greatest generation, you will know that much of what they say is in the context of the Great Depression. Just the way they are.

I hope that clarifies things.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Of all the gov't hands I have in my pockets each pay cycle, SS is the one I mind the LEAST.
    Agree.....

I want to add, it is a shame that it will run out of money in our life time
    Last edited by subroc; 10-04-2009 at 07:54 PM. Reason: added comment
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Article [II.]