The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why all the partisan bickering

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    We have the right to stand for our principles, but rigid adherence to a doctrine rarely accomplishes any thing in politics and governance.
    You can explain that to all the conservatives that lost their seats in the last election because they decided to act more like liberals.
    No one is against compromise necessarily. Unfortunately comprimise in politics is one side strong arming a few on the other side, either to wishy washy or gutless to oppose them, and calling it bipartisanship.
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

I see you are drawn to high grade literature.
    Like a crash on the highway, sarge...like a crash on the highway

That's why I keep comin' back.

Am I a "Secular Progressive" RK? I guess. Proud to be secular, I gave up church and religion a long time ago.
    Progressive? Nah, not really. I still search rural stores and gas stations for a Grape Nehi and a moonpie, and a nickel play on a pinball that I'll never find. I guess like many, I have a nostalgia for the things I remember, that are now gone.
    Kinda like America, ya know.
    I've lived in NM for almost forty years now. It's different from the VA of my youth, always has been, but even more now.
    This country has changed, and I'll have to deal with it. For the next 3 months I'll serve on a Grand Jury panel, and I'll have to be face to face once a week with those changes, and try not to let my nostalgia for the way things used to be, affect my decisions on the way things are.
    Again, tomorrow I'm off to the high country of NM. No phone, no cell, no internet, no TV. The three dogs just get to run the ranch and maybe we'll build a blind on the pond. Maybe we'll just lay in the hammock. Sigh.

JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce MacPherson View Post
    You can explain that to all the conservatives that lost their seats in the last election because they decided to act more like liberals..
    That would be true if they lost their seats to conservatives. The scene was right for a major upheaval in the body politic. We had two wars without end, a crashing economy and an unresponsive government.

No one is against compromise necessarily. Unfortunately comprimise in politics is one side strong arming a few on the other side, either to wishy washy or gutless to oppose them, and calling it bipartisanship.
    Compromise, especially effective compromise, is not the product of strong armed tactics. That approach only leads to resentment. A good compromise is crafted by those who have differences, yet still wish to make a settlement in the end. A compromise often involves hard bargaining mixed in with some pragmatism. It does not play on weakness of character --that's surrender.

It is my hope that the next election would flush out the grandstanders that carry one like prima donnas, but, do nothing to advance our nation. Likewise, I would like to see the voters dispatch those who stand in the way those who will act for the common good.
    Last edited by zeus3925; 10-01-2009 at 11:19 PM.
    Sarge

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

You can explain that to all the conservatives that lost their seats in the last election because they decided to act more like liberals.
    No one is against compromise necessarily. Unfortunately comprimise in politics is one side strong arming a few on the other side, either to wishy washy or gutless to oppose them, and calling it bipartisanship
    I'm gonna have to say that compromise got us in the soup we are in today.
    We as a people should never ever compromise on principle.

All of our social and fiscal ills originate from compromise.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    All of our social and fiscal ills originate from compromise.

Pete
    Yours or mine? Ills or compromises?

JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

That would be true if they lost their seats to conservatives. The scene was right for a major upheaval in the body politic. We had two wars without end, a crashing economy and an unresponsive government.

Likewise, I would like to see the voters dispatch those who stand in the way those who will act for the common good.
    My point exactly, if they had acted like conservatives they probably would have not lost the numbers they did.

"Common good" is a subjective term to me. What you consider it to be may not be what I consider it to be.
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

"Common good" is a subjective term to me. What you consider it to be may not be what I consider it to be.
    But we can keep the debate civil.
    Sarge

But we can keep the debate civil.
    Sure. But rejection of your ideas/ideals is not being un-civil.
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Yours or mine? Ills or compromises
    Definitely from your social,fashist.marxist principlels

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Definitely from your social,fashist.marxist principlels

Pete
    Pete that's just what we don't want here. That is an ad hominem attack. That isn't civil discussion.
    Last edited by zeus3925; 10-02-2009 at 10:45 AM.
    Sarge