The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Democrats, are you happy?

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    Do you really think it is a great idea to have people that know nothing about what or whom they are voting for being required to vote? If you don't do your homework and vote educatedly (), you shouldn't be voting. I can't stand when people vote a straight ticket, as it is another form of uneducated voting.
    I'm not sure I would condemn all straight-ticket voters as uneducated. I personally don't do it, but if someone wants to support a platform, then straight ticket is likely the best way to do so.

I don't think mandating uneducated voters is a good idea. Besides, I'm still trying to figure out why Yardley would want to give republican candidates that kind of advantage??
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    Fair question. Most evidence suggests that the majority of voters who do go to the polls have no idea who most of the candidates are except for national elections. They know least about people in the most local spots with almost no one knowing anything about boards of education. I am perfectly happy adding a choice on ballots for "No choice". However, if we begin approaching voting as a mandatory requirement with penalties associated with non-compliance, we also get rid of a number of marginally corrupt practices now followed in an effort to exclude voters and force more focus on voter education.
    Great idea! Let's extend the requirement to vote to illegal aliens, felons (in and out of jail), drug addicts, illiterates, criminally insane (nevermind they already vote _______). While we are at it, let's remove that age limit thing. It's just too difficult to police. Since Mexico and Canada are so close, shouldn't we let them have a say in who leads their neighbor country?

Just trying to be fair,
    fp
    www.BayouMagicRetrievers.com
    FC AFC Wing Magic's Louisiana Roux MH "Roux"
    Bayou Magic's Road to Hurricane "Roadie" (Knucklehead Puppy)
    Bayou Magic's Tough as a Boot "Boot" (Knucklehead Puppy)

"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." -- George Herman Ruth

My suggestion for mandatory voting is at least somewhat facetious in response to Franco's suggestion that we should suppress voting (or voters) that he believes are irresponsible. However, it is only somewhat facetious.

I find it profoundly disturbing that a primary focus of campaign strategies is on enhancing turnout from some voters while suppressing turnout from others.

All the battles about registration are actually battles about manipulating turnout. None of those involved "in the business" actually believes that these battles have anything to do with voting fraud. Fraud occurs at the polling place and in the counting rooms, and the biggest fraud is founded on challenging voters who might be unfriendly on election day since most will leave without fighting for their right to vote. My basis for those statements are statements made by campaign consultants advising both Republican and Democrat candidates. The power of tactics to manipulate turnout stems directly from the low voter turnouts in America. Increase turnout dramatically and the fraud becomes harder to perpetuate.

It is a truism that elections are decided by the undecided. That doesn't mean those voters are ignorant or irrational. Maybe they are the only ones listening carefully, thinking, and making up their minds based on what they believe is truly best. I worry more about the "base" voters on each side since these are the people most likely to be extremists and true believers who would sacrifice democracy to strengthen support for their own notions of what is right.

I worry more about the "base" voters on each side since these are the people most likely to be extremists and true believers who would sacrifice democracy to strengthen support for their own notions of what is right.
    Like the panthers in Philly. This was a slam-dunk case, especially when they ignored the court, but then the O admin came in and dropped the case.
    I'm sure there examples going both ways but we must eliminate these kinds of actions.

Quote Originally Posted by WaterDogRem View Post
    Like the panthers in Philly. This was a slam-dunk case, especially when they ignored the court, but then the O admin came in and dropped the case.
    I'm sure there examples going both ways but we must eliminate these kinds of actions.
    What case? I looked at the tapes many times and watched voters entering undisturbed. The police were called when Republican representatives from outside the district said they felt threatened and the two men left. One man was arrested; one was not. The entire incident was over quickly and no voter was threatened or intimidated as far as I could see or based on anything reported locally. The action was denounced immediately by the Black Panther national organization and the Philadelphia chapter was suspended. The only illegal action was the public display of a billy stick by one of the men. Had it been an assault rifle at a presidential speech, we all would have praised the defense of the second amendment. However, in PA, such a weapon requires a permit and must be concealed. That is why he was arrested. There were literally thousands of cases of alleged voting irregularities around the country. This one simply did not rise to a level worthy of greater attention except for the purpose of hate mongering. As far as I know, they are also not pursuing investigations of the signs posted near polls in some Democratic districts of Pittsburgh indicating that to avoid overcrowding that voting for Democrats had been rescheduled until the Wednesday following election day.

It is a truism that elections are decided by the undecided. That doesn't mean those voters are ignorant or irrational. Maybe they are the only ones listening carefully, thinking, and making up their minds based on what they believe is truly best.

http://crooksandliars.com/silentpatr...oters-aka-stup

Ok, its from the Jon Stewart show, but I think righties and lefties will find this hilarious just the same!
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    http://crooksandliars.com/silentpatr...oters-aka-stup

Ok, its from the Jon Stewart show, but I think righties and lefties will find this hilarious just the same!
    I'll admit, his theory may hold water better than mine.....

One has to qualify for a Drivers Lisence, Concealed Weapon Permit, Home Mortgage, Car Loan, Job Requirement etc... but one doesn't have to qualify to have a vote on who runs local, state and Federal government?

The mess we are in is directly related to the voters who know nothing casting thier vote!

Simple, pass a comprehensive Civics Test in English and earn the privie to vote. Can't pass the test, then one has no business voting.
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    One has to qualify for a Drivers Lisence, Concealed Weapon Permit, Home Mortgage, Car Loan, Job Requirement etc... but one doesn't have to qualify to have a vote on who runs local, state and Federal government?

The mess we are in is directly related to the voters who know nothing casting thier vote!

Simple, pass a comprehensive Civics Test in English and earn the privie to vote. Can't pass the test, then one has no business voting.
    I assume you would agree that congressional seats should then be allocated based on the number of actual voters rather than the population as a whole and that Federal aid will be distributed on the same basis. After all, there should be no representation without representation. Given that we are a federation of states, each state should obviously be permitted to define its own standards for voting eligibility.

Fair question. Most evidence suggests that the majority of voters who do go to the polls have no idea who most of the candidates are except for national elections. They know least about people in the most local spots with almost no one knowing anything about boards of education. I am perfectly happy adding a choice on ballots for "No choice".

I know when I vote, if I don't know much or anything about two candidates, I have the option to leave it blank. That is the responsible thing to do.
    ________
    Amateur homemade
    Last edited by ducknwork; 04-21-2011 at 06:02 PM.