The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: WIC, This has me fuming!

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    I stood directly behind a lady paying for groceries with a food stamp credit card. She completed the transaction and then pulled out a hundred dollar bill to pay for her 12 pack.
    How many of us run around with $100 bills on us? I certainly don't. I carry some cash, but have my debit card on me. It's harder for a thief to use my debit card without the code than cash. I'll bet that $100 bill is from illegal activity. Before anyone jumps on me, when I go to the ATM it spits out $20's not $100's.

as an owner of a grocery store i see tons of waste from both wic and food stamps now
    called {snaps} don't know why. i do profit from the use of these i don't agree with the process used. both wic and foodstamps are not an intitlement but a supplement for someone who has fallen on hard times. what gets me is when a reciepent uses either they purchase the highest cost items for example milk. i have 3 brands and they choose the most expensive on the shelf when using either they should be controled somehow to purchase the most value for the dollar. what wic is now handing out is a voucher also for produce and some frozen products veggies juice fruit no sugar added product. i do see several times after the use of either of the programs they will buy carton sometimes 2 of cigarettes shame on us . i do belive if anyone recieving gov. money should pass a drug test to qualify
    for the program. always remember it's not an intitlement. some young mothers i belive should maybe nursing there children rather than instantly going on formulas also.

keith l.
    ________
    SPORTIVO COUPE
    Last edited by KEITH L; 02-10-2011 at 08:25 PM.

Well what are all you going to do about it. There is much griping but no action here. Have you written your legislatures? How about you congressman or governor? Organize a citizen's group? I bet not. Until then it is going to be awfully windy around here.

As the old adage goes: Action talks, Bull S#%@ walks.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

I sure don't have a problem knowing that the food stamp program helped a guy like Dave, and his small family, for a period in his life when he was getting himself an education to become a productive member of society. Such use of the program, I think, is exactly what it should be doing.

The abuses mentioned by several here ... THAT I have a problem with!

Absolutely, if you have to take a drug test to get (or hold) a job, one should do no less to continue to receive a government "gift" beyond, let's say, the first month. Not sure it would be easy to implement. Can also imagine that as soon as there were such rules, there will be plenty of folk who figure out how to cheat on it.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

What we have here is someone worrying about an extra 81 cents someone spent on a package of green beans. But, I don't see anyone wound up about millions in subsidies to oil companies to drill. And when the drilling takes place on Indian or Federal land, good luck in collecting the royalties. No one seems to be steamed about that.

Then there is the megabucks going to support ethanol production along with its ripple effect on food price. Uncle Sam then subsidizes farms, especially the big ones, to keep food prices low. There is the billions going to curry favor among warring creations of British foreign policy in the Middle East. Anybody's boiler lit?

When government spends $600 a piece on toilet seats I am not going to sweat 81 cents.
    Zeus

zeus unfortunatly the .81 cents adds up faster into the billions. we as a society
    do have a tendecy take advantage of government welfare. like you mentioned
    most can and should be cut off.

keith l
    ________
    Volcano Vaporizers
    Last edited by KEITH L; 02-10-2011 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KEITH L View Post
    zeus unfortunatly the .81 cents adds up faster into the billions. we as a society
    do have a tendecy take advantage of government welfare. like you mentioned
    most can and should be cut off.

keith l
    I don't disagree with you Kieth. Lets go after the really big bucks before we worry about the nickles and dimes. Is every one on assistance acting irresponsibly? Most are not. But, it is hard to ignore when it happens in front of you.
    Zeus

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    ...Lets go after the really big bucks before we worry about the nickles and dimes...
    What would you rather have 20 nickles or a buck?
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    What we have here is someone worrying about an extra 81 cents someone spent on a package of green beans.
    Actually it is a lot more than 81 cents.

Bag A was 1.88 for 2 lbs
    Bag B was 2.69 for 12 ounces

Bag A is .94 per lb
    Bag B is 3.59 per lb

It would cost $7.18 to buy the same amount of bag 2 as is in bag 1

7.18-1.88= $5.30 more!

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    Actually it is a lot more than 81 cents.

Bag A was 1.88 for 2 lbs
    Bag B was 2.69 for 12 ounces

Bag A is .94 per lb
    Bag B is 3.59 per lb

It would cost $7.18 to buy the same amount of bag 2 as is in bag 1

7.18-1.88= $5.30 more!
    That's a lot of nickels!
    ________
    P_E_A_C_H
    Last edited by ducknwork; 04-21-2011 at 06:57 PM.